PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi reacts to Vrabel trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think back to the Miami game Tedy...

Pennington 380 yards .... wildcats galore

The D needs a facelift .. sorry but its all business

I hate to say it but the defense needed to change immensely. I know they were hit by injuries later in the season and Belichick let them down by not adequately replacing Samuel but there were games, even some wins like the Miami win, where the defense was just embarassingly bad. Statistically they were alright but we played a bad schedule which is why the defense ranked #20 according to Football Outsiders but top ten according to standard stats.

I hate to say it but we need Tedy to move on too and find a solution next to Mayo - possibly a guy to split with Guyton - because Mayo is now the face of the defense for me.

I do love Vrabel, Tedy and Rodney, though.

I couldnt agree more.

If Vrabel can be let go, then Tedy Bruschi might as well retire now because Vrabel outplayed Bruschi last season even by his own admission.

LB's are the life blood of a 3 - 4 and the Pats have been running on fumes for a few years now.

Think back to the Miami game Tedy...

Pennington 380 yards .... wildcats galore

The D needs a facelift .. sorry but its all business

Where is the facelift? They just lost a great player. I see nothing in his place.

He said almost the exact same thing when Milloy was cut. You know, the first of the 14-2 back-to-back superbowl years.

You gotta expect guys to feel than way when a team mate leaves. They probably felt the same way in Pittsburgh when Vrabel was let go in 2001.

The players fought hard for free agency. They wanted increased mobility. THey understand. THey just feel bad when a friend leaves.

Where is the facelift? They just lost a great player. I see nothing in his place.

And with opening day being tomorrow we're
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMED!!!!

Be cool. All will be will. Vrabel is in a better place now with Mr. Pioli and soon to be joined by his buddy Matt.

I know Bruschi is upset losing a friend as a teammate, but I don't know if this was the wrong decision depending how the offseason plays out. Both Vrabel and Bruschi were nearing the end of their Patriots career no matter if Vrabel was traded or not. The Pats need to move forward.

My Vrabel fan side of me agrees with Bruschi, but my Patriots fan in me thinks it was probably the right move. This defense needs to start to transistion from Bruschi's, Vrabel's, and Harrison's defense to Mayo's, Wilfork's, and Meriweather's defense. The younger guys need to start to make an imprint on the defense while the older guys will fade away just like McGinest, Law, Milloy, and Phifer did. It is the only way to remain competitive for the long haul.

The younger guys have already made the "start". As I see it, we are not "starting" a rebuild of the Defense. We are nearing the "COMPLETION" of that Rebuild.
Just how many snaps did Rodney and Tedy get last year?

The recent newcomers, even if some are not so recent, they are still young, are Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Lekevin, Wright, Mayo, AD, (an older "youngster"), Guyton, Woods, Crabel, Redd, Sanders, Hobbs, Meriwether, Wheatley, Willhite and Richardson. That is 17 defensive players, only AD who is over thirty. Six were rookies last year. BB always says the biggest performance jump occurs between the freshman and sophmore years. So some, or all, of these six guys will be much better this year.

He will add up to five first day players, this year too. By the end of the draft, the "finishing" not "starting" touches will have been added. It is already a Top Ten and top 8th in PA, half way through the rebuild. The rebuilt Defense will only need some experience, to ascend to the Top Five. :eek::D

And with opening day being tomorrow we're
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMED!!!!

Be cool. All will be will. Vrabel is in a better place now with Mr. Pioli and soon to be joined by his buddy Matt.

I never said the Pats were doomed. As a stand alone trade the Vrabel trade sucks. If it is part of a bigger trade then great.

Yeah, I'm also not seeing the same bitterness, anger, or whatever in Tedy's words. It could be there, but the quote doesn't necessarily reveal it.

Yeah, I don't think it's a matter of bitterness and anger, more like shock and sadness. It's a tough adjustment, watching your longtime comrade in arms, a core part of your team experience, hit the road. It is a big change for the team...even if it's the right change.

I couldnt agree more.

If Vrabel can be let go, then Tedy Bruschi might as well retire now because Vrabel outplayed Bruschi last season even by his own admission.

LB's are the life blood of a 3 - 4 and the Pats have been running on fumes for a few years now.

Not to mince words....but as you know Vrabel wasn't let go (released) he was traded. KC wanted (and needed) leadership.... BB probably offered Tedy first with Pioli pushing for Vrabes because of his higher playing value. The combination of a couple of good years left in the tank and the leadership, team first qualities gave Vrabel more trade value.

Now with the absense of Mikes veterine leadership the Patriots IMO now need to keep Tedy more than ever.

Last edited:
If he is emotional (and I am sure he is) then I can't blame him at all. Many fans are very emotional about Vrabel being traded so of course a close teammate could be upset over it.

I'm sure everyone remembers Tedys statement after Lawyer Milloy was released.

i used to love bruschi (still have his jersey) but he's clearly all kinds of crazy. he's the type of guy who always sounds like he's talking about himself in the 3rd person, even when he's not.

bruschi is lucky he has a job.

we were near last in red zone and 3rd down d last year

I read it without inferring tone and he's right: the team has changed.

But everything changes. I'll miss Vrabel and it makes me sad that this version of the Patriots is no more. But it's still the Patriots.

Also, I'm hammered.

I hate to say it but the defense needed to change immensely. I know they were hit by injuries later in the season and Belichick let them down by not adequately replacing Samuel but there were games, even some wins like the Miami win, where the defense was just embarassingly bad. Statistically they were alright but we played a bad schedule which is why the defense ranked #20 according to Football Outsiders but top ten according to standard stats.

I hate to say it but we need Tedy to move on too and find a solution next to Mayo - possibly a guy to split with Guyton - because Mayo is now the face of the defense for me.

I do love Vrabel, Tedy and Rodney, though.

Totally correct. Glad someone had the guts to say it.

At a visceral level, I hate losing Vrabel - it feels like someone punched me in the stomach - but it was time to move on. One of my biggest concerns was that BB's penchant for veteran leadership was causing him to hang on to some players too long. I love Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel, Seau and Colvin, but their time has passed and we aren't going to be winning superbowls with them. There's a logjam of young players who need to get a shot.

Mayo needs to step up and become the defensive QB. Meriweather needs to step up and become the leader of the secondary. The Steelers have been much more ruthless than we have about letting people go, and players like James Harrison and Woodley have stepped up big time. It's nice to have continuity and to have veterans to teach young players the Pats way, but we also need to give the youngsters their chance to assume the mantle of leadership.

I read it without inferring tone and he's right: the team has changed.

But everything changes. I'll miss Vrabel and it makes me sad that this version of the Patriots is no more. But it's still the Patriots.

Also, I'm hammered.

Enjoy your Saturday!

out of everybody control.....it's time to move on......

Well... that certainly makes it sting less, eh?

Anyone think we've seen the last of more vets than just Vrabel?

My reactions were pretty much the same as yours.

i used to love bruschi (still have his jersey) but he's clearly all kinds of crazy. he's the type of guy who always sounds like he's talking about himself in the 3rd person, even when he's not.

Bruschi is the good type of pompous. He believes on acting at most times as if one is humble, and not being particularly obnoxious the rest of the time. He defines his celebrity in terms of giving people pleasure by his presence, not in terms of having them doing things for him. As egotistical celebrities go, he appears to be a genuinely good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots