PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi:Five observations from a beatdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a sad indictment of our coaching staff, IMO. Didn't they realize that might be a possibility. There were 3 ex-coaches over there. Why not change some things up? :bricks:

Actually 4 ex-coaches, as hard as that is to believe:
ManJudas, Daboll the AHole, Rob the Slob Ryan & Seely.

One reason maybe why Bill didn't change some things is that he's too busy being HC, OC, DC & GM
to have much if any time left for in-game adjustments.

Very insightful read......"I want to highlight a different point -- and it comes after hearing players talk about a bad week of practice, and the thought that some players believed they could just roll the Patriots helmet out there and the Browns would be intimidated by the logo"............Teddy B

That what it looked like to me, but add that to the great game plan by Cleveland and you had a Perfect Storm

Last edited:
I understand the principles of the read and react system we have. But when Brady throws it at the feet of an open receiver who ran a curl route and sat down in the open flat, I blame Brady. When the TE is running an in route at what appeared to be the proper depth, right across the defenders face and had a step on the defender and Brady hits his back shoulder instead of leading the receiver or just incase a defender was out of the TV view, hitting him in the front shoulder; I blame Brady.

Those are just two example of him misfiring Sunday. Again there is plenty of blame to go around and by no means am I excusing the receivers. But to say Brady was not part of the problem is not consistent with the reality of Sunday.

Agree with Mo on the system but yes, you're right, Brady had reasonable 'stats' FWIW (nothing) but missed some easy throws Sunday. Little swing passes and flat passes should be made regardless of how guys do or don't 'round off their routes' that is unless you're Drew Bledsoe who simply could not throw those kinda passes.

Who said they didn't change the pre-snap calls?

Agree with Mo on the system but yes, you're right, Brady had reasonable 'stats' FWIW (nothing) but missed some easy throws Sunday. Little swing passes and flat passes should be made regardless of how guys do or don't 'round off their routes' that is unless you're Drew Bledsoe who simply could not throw those kinda passes.

I agree with you and Colby on this. Gronk was like 4-5 yards away when Brady overthrew him. I even recall the announcer (former QB can't remember his name) remarking on how Brady messed that throw up.

Before I get jumped on, the receivers ran bad routes all day. I can't believe I have to say that but people will attack if you don't state the obvious around here.

Before I get jumped on, the receivers ran bad routes all day. I can't believe I have to say that but people will attack if you don't state the obvious around here.

Yup, bad routes too. A true team loss. I include the coaching staff in this debacle.

He won't. That traitorous scumbag will choke against the J-e-s-t next week,
just like every other team seems to do.

Jets defense match up favorably vs the Browns offense. Jet's attack the LOS so Hillis and his OL won't have time to set up their blocks and play downhill like they did against us, and McCoy's not going to get comfortable back there because the Jets blitz scheme is probably the best in the league at pressuring QBs. If McCoy's going to be successful, it's going to be because he makes great throws, not because of dumb soft zones.

Only way the Browns win this is if Sanchez and the Jets offense completely give it away, which they have shown the ability to do so.

Otherwise, if the Jets offense plays mistake free, this is a no-contest.

Last edited:

I disagree because in all instances he's throwing to a spot and not a target. It's the target's job to be in the right spot for the throw in this system because the throw is being made on blind faith. A lot of times when he throws low it's because a defender is closing on the area and he wants to put it in a place only his guy has a shot at it and in a spot unlikely to lead to a tipped ball INT. That receiver is supposed to anticipate that too. Most times when he comes up short it's because the receiver didn't adjust to the pressure he's under, and that too is something they are supposed to anticipate post snap. When he overthrows it's usually because the receiver lost the battle coming off the line or because he wasn't the first read and he didn't go all out off the jam...

If Brady starts waiting to see what shakes out, or waits to throw after sorting out what the receiver actually does absent simply achieving his requisite responsibilities, you're running another scheme and he won't be upright long because this undersized unit isn't built to block all day and these receivers weren't selected to run scramble drills. They were all selected in part based on having the smarts and instincts to make the right decision based on their unified post snap reads and responsibilities. If they aren't doing that then having guys like Brady and Belichick running the show is a waste of time and talent...theirs.

Actually 4 ex-coaches, as hard as that is to believe:
ManJudas, Daboll the AHole, Rob the Slob Ryan & Seely.

One reason maybe why Bill didn't change some things is that he's too busy being HC, OC, DC & GM
to have much if any time left for in-game adjustments.

BB is not the OC or the DC... There aren't ones on this team. They divided the responsibilities up between the other coaches. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?

Oh wait.. That's right. Unless BB is doing it exactly the way you say, he's an idiot.. :rolleyes:

I hereby resign as the leading Brady's Ladies apologist. When not under serious rush pressure a QB, especially a HOF QB should make that throw allowing for the human imperfections of his target. Brady was OFF Sunday. Several completions on crossing patterns were thrown to the back shoulder of the receiver and when Brady was not pressured. Not a good day at the office.

I disagree because in all instances he's throwing to a spot and not a target. It's the target's job to be in the right spot for the throw in this system because the throw is being made on blind faith. A lot of times when he throws low it's because a defender is closing on the area and he wants to put it in a place only his guy has a shot at it and in a spot unlikely to lead to a tipped ball INT. That receiver is supposed to anticipate that too. Most times when he comes up short it's because the receiver didn't adjust to the pressure he's under, and that too is something they are supposed to anticipate post snap. When he overthrows it's usually because the receiver lost the battle coming off the line or because he wasn't the first read and he didn't go all out off the jam...

If Brady starts waiting to see what shakes out, or waits to throw after sorting out what the receiver actually does absent simply achieving his requisite responsibilities, you're running another scheme and he won't be upright long because this undersized unit isn't built to block all day and these receivers weren't selected to run scramble drills. They were all selected in part based on having the smarts and instincts to make the right decision based on their unified post snap reads and responsibilities. If they aren't doing that then having guys like Brady and Belichick running the show is a waste of time and talent...theirs.

Mo - The problem with your thinking here is that Brady and the Pats do not always run timing routes. And that is what your claim is. But they don't. On top of that, by the time Tom is making his 3rd or 4th checkdown, receivers will have adjusted their routes based on what the defense gave them. While Gronk acknowledged that on on play, he rounded off his route and that caused an issue, there were several other plays that were totally on Brady. You can sit there and claim otherwise, but you'd be wrong. Throwing a ball on an in pattern to the back shoulder of the receiver is the fault of the QB. Throwing the ball at shoestring level on an out route is the fault of the QB.

I'm one of the first to defend Brady when things aren't his fault, but plain and simply, he played a bad game and people need to realize it.

That looks good on paper and I am sure that's how it's supposed to be run but these are human beings not robots out there. There are so many things that can go wrong on every play that i find it hard to believe that there is no improv allowed at all.

People get jammed, fall down on slippery fields, collide with each other and/or refs. If Brady can't adjust to a wide open receiver standing 5 feet away just because he was supposed to be there a half a second earlier then that seems like a silly way to run an offense.

You are probably right. it just seems a bit crazy to me to expect that kind of perfection from your players.

Unless BB is doing it exactly the way you say, he's an idiot.. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be so harsh on poor Bill; he's a really busy guy,
with all of his GM/HC/OC/DC responsibilities and such.

That looks good on paper and I am sure that's how it's supposed to be run but these are human beings not robots out there. There are so many things that can go wrong on every play that i find it hard to believe that there is no improv allowed at all.

People get jammed, fall down on slippery fields, collide with each other and/or refs. If Brady can't adjust to a wide open receiver standing 5 feet away just because he was supposed to be there a half a second earlier then that seems like a silly way to run an offense.

You are probably right. it just seems a bit crazy to me to expect that kind of perfection from your players.

But that's exactly what this offense demands. So does Indy's albeit based solely on pre snap reads and timing. So did Lombardi's for that matter. His wasn't remotely complex, just predicated on his players executing a limited number of plays to such perfection defenses couldn't stop them even when they knew what was coming...

Does Brady miss throws? Occasionally, probably less often than Manning or Brees let alone the rest of the league. What patsfans lack is perspective on that. The majority of Brady's so called misses are on his receivers - whom I might add are expected to occasionally catch less then perfectly placed for whatever reason balls. It's called making a play. It's just easier for fans to point at Brady and claim he's off. Just like it's easier to rail against some faceless OC because a play didn't work period. When I hear people stating something as fact (Brady should have :blahblah:) based on their extensive knowledge of the situation (route trees, play calls, adjustments, coverages) gleaned from the vantage point of their couch I grind my teeth...

I hereby resign as the leading Brady's Ladies apologist. When not under serious rush pressure a QB, especially a HOF QB should make that throw allowing for the human imperfections of his target. Brady was OFF Sunday. Several completions on crossing patterns were thrown to the back shoulder of the receiver and when Brady was not pressured. Not a good day at the office.

Again, that's not what the system and scheme dictates here. Imperfections are either largely eliminated over time or those making them consistently are weeded out. That's why the receiving corps keeps evolving here. Brady is generally making throws before a receiver comes out of his break. If the receiver does that just a half step early or late...

But that's exactly what this offense demands. So does Indy's albeit based solely on pre snap reads and timing. So did Lombardi's for that matter. His wasn't remotely complex, just predicated on his players executing a limited number of plays to such perfection defenses couldn't stop them even when they knew what was coming...

Does Brady miss throws? Occasionally, probably less often than Manning or Brees let alone the rest of the league. What patsfans lack is perspective on that. The majority of Brady's so called misses are on his receivers - whom I might add are expected to occasionally catch less then perfectly placed for whatever reason balls. It's called making a play. It's just easier for fans to point at Brady and claim he's off. Just like it's easier to rail against some faceless OC because a play didn't work period. When I hear people stating something as fact (Brady should have :blahblah:) based on their extensive knowledge of the situation (route trees, play calls, adjustments, coverages) gleaned from the vantage point of their couch I grind my teeth...

Do you not realize that the same could be said about your argument? Not every single play depends on blind faith. How many times over the course of Brady's career have you seen him about to fire and at the last second pull up, and then hit a different receiver because Brady saw the receiver open out of the corner of his eye. There is no way that is timing and blind faith. He didn't seem to have any issue finding Tate against Minny on a broken play. Against the Browns there were a couple of throws where Brady missed and when they panned back to him you could see on his face that he knew he messed up. And surely you know that when a receiver screws up Brady lets him know. Again, he wasn't barking at his receivers after a few poorly thrown balls.

Yes receivers should be able to catch less than perfect balls, but not balls that nearly one hop to them. Especially when they have room to turn and make a play.

I usually agree with you, but you are taking this timing thing and defense of Brady way to far. The guy had a bad game, it happens.

Last edited:
The majority of Brady's so called misses are on his receivers - whom I might add are expected to occasionally catch less then perfectly placed for whatever reason balls.

How can you make this claim? You have exactly 0 coaching tape and 0 knowledge of the plays called and 0 knowledge of the responsibilities of the receiver on any given play.

Brady was off on Sunday, debate it all you want but fact of the matter is he was off. Most of the throws at the feet are BAD THROWS, not some mythical perfect throw and bad route. You act as if Brady is wearing some augmented reality glasses that puts up signs on the field of where to throw it to and he disregards the receiver entirely.

To me the odds of that many receivers being off that many times, tells me TB was part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST