Broncos persuade Walker not to come to NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
BRONCOS HOLD WALKER IN DENVER

A league source tells us that the Broncos persuaded receiver Javon Walker not to hop a plane on Friday afternoon to New England in the hopes of striking a deal that would send the 2002 first-rounder to Denver.

Per the source, however, the Packers are still holding out for a first-round pick.

There also are reports of a possible three-team deal that would deliver Walker to Denver, but in our view there's simply not enough time to make it happen, especially with Walker wanting a new deal worth $10 million to $12 million in guaranteed money, as we hear it.

And why in the hell did the Packers wait so long to try to kick-start trade discussions? It's not as if the various interested teams don't have other things to worry about. Frankly, it makes us wonder whether Walker is behind schedule in rehabilitating his torn ACL, and that the Packers wanted to compress the total amount of time that teams would have to poke and prod the thing

Yeah I found the timing sketchy too, although I had not jumped to that conclusion.

Slow the whole thing down...and then see what happens....DOWN goes his value..GB loses...MORE!! I think if they hold out..there may be NO DEAL!!!

re

GB should deal Walker and #5 to the Saints for #2 (Reggie Bush).

This whole thing could blow in their faces. Teams that want receivers will just draft them tomorrow. After the weekend, Walker's trade value will plummet.

Last edited:
Pats726 said:
Slow the whole thing down...and then see what happens....DOWN goes his value..GB loses...MORE!! I think if they hold out..there may be NO DEAL!!!

If he's really not injured goods - and as I've said, I'm not sure he's not - then it seems to me that it would be in Walker's best interest and the Packers best interest to let this work itself after the draft, and accept a conditional 2007 draft arrangement up to and including a 1st round draft pick in 2007 if Walker's production is at 2004 levels

Sure - this would mean that the Packers wouldn't get an extra draft pick tomorrow - but I think they'd be extra lucky to get a 2nd rounder in what many consider a weak draft.

Most teams would be glad to hand over a #1 pick for a WR who catches 90+ passes

The fact that neither the Packers nor Walker want to let that scenario play out makes me suspicious

Wow. Imagine if this guy had more than one year over 41 catches.

Am I missing something?

JoeSixPat said:
If he's really not injured goods - and as I've said, I'm not sure he's not - then it seems to me that it would be in Walker's best interest and the Packers best interest to let this work itself after the draft, and accept a conditional 2007 draft arrangement up to and including a 1st round draft pick in 2007 if Walker's production is at 2004 levels

Sure - this would mean that the Packers wouldn't get an extra draft pick tomorrow - but I think they'd be extra lucky to get a 2nd rounder in what many consider a weak draft.

Most teams would be glad to hand over a #1 pick for a WR who catches 90+ passes

The fact that neither the Packers nor Walker want to let that scenario play out makes me suspicious

90+ passes?? Troy Brown's done it twice and once for 83.

If you're talking about Walker these are his totals, according to NFL.com

RayClay said:
Wow. Imagine if this guy had more than one year over 41 catches.

Am I missing something?

Well, a few years with 30 - 50 passes - then a break out season with 89

Does that qualify him as a bonefide #1? Maybe not

But of course we've also just described OUR #1 WR as well

But your point is well taken... all the more reason to make the offer a conditional draft choice for 2007

RayClay said:
90+ passes?? Troy Brown's done it twice and once for 83.

If you're talking about Walker these are his totals, according to NFL.com

Yes I know what Walker's totals are

... if your point is that 89 isn't 90 - then touche' sir... well done!

The point I was making is that you make a conditional draft pick contingent upon Walker catching 90+ passes

JoeSixPat said:
Well, a few years with 30 - 50 passes - then a break out season with 89

Does that qualify him as a bonefide #1? Maybe not

But of course we've also just described OUR #1 WR as well

But your point is well taken... all the more reason to make the offer a conditional draft choice for 2007

I'm just saying, why the frenzy? He has ONE year with 30-50 and one year with 89. And he's coming off surgery.

I think he'd be a good pickup. Bidding war?? See ya!! We'll probably bring 9-10 receivers to camp and keep 5. Out of that group, 2-3 will get most of the catches.

The rest will go to tight ends and backs.

Lots of teams over pay for receivers. Pats don't.

Just an FYI. NFL Network, at around 7:30, reported that Walker had, in fact, gotten on a plane to come to New England.

DaBruinz said:
Just an FYI. NFL Network, at around 7:30, reported that Walker had, in fact, gotten on a plane to come to New England.

If the plane lands before midnight and he makes his way to Foxboro does that mean Michael Holley didn't swing and miss? :rolleyes:

Holley had it right all along, only something (or someone in Denver or Green Bay) kept the plan he had been privvy to from going off as scheduled earlier today.

Not sure you can get a deal done with GB at this point. But I doubt Belioli would be putting up with their crap unless they had some real interest in fully exploring a Walker deal - for today or down the road.

MoLewisrocks said:
If the plane lands before midnight and he makes his way to Foxboro does that mean Michael Holley didn't swing and miss? :rolleyes:

Holley had it right all along, only something (or someone in Denver or Green Bay) kept the plan he had been privvy to from going off as scheduled earlier today.

Not sure you can get a deal done with GB at this point. But I doubt Belioli would be putting up with their crap unless they had some real interest in fully exploring a Walker deal - for today or down the road.

Umm. I was originally reported by Smith. At least that is what the thread said. Now, considering that they reported that Walker was already IN Foxboro this morning. Yes, it would still be considered a wiff.

Reiss says it aswell. Guess hes coming..visit..physical and we determine if hes worth our 2nd and something else if they accept

IF Walker's agent reps other Pats, and has a good working relationship with the Pats, hopefully an extension would be part of any deal. Could be an interesting Saturday.

Remix 6 said:
Reiss says it aswell. Guess hes coming..visit..physical and we determine if hes worth our 2nd and something else if they accept

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Mike Reiss said:
Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reported that Walker is now on his way to New England, and will also be checked out by Philadelphia Eagles doctors. The Packers are allowing Walker to meet with interested clubs as part of the process of potentially striking a trade.

How much time are they really going to have to put Walker through a physical? Heck, how is Philly also going to have time?

Something doesn't smell right here. I would find it very hard to believe that the Patriots would allow Philly doctors to be on site to do a physical of a player the Pats are interested in.

The only thing I can think of is that Walker will be at a neutral site in Boston where both the Pats doctors and Philly doctors can put him through adequate testing.

I would expect that this would all have to be done before the start of the 1st round.

DaBruinz said:

How much time are they really going to have to put Walker through a physical? Heck, how is Philly also going to have time?

Something doesn't smell right here. I would find it very hard to believe that the Patriots would allow Philly doctors to be on site to do a physical of a player the Pats are interested in.

The only thing I can think of is that Walker will be at a neutral site in Boston where both the Pats doctors and Philly doctors can put him through adequate testing.

I would expect that this would all have to be done before the start of the 1st round.
I was leaning more to the second.

DaBruinz said:

Gee whiz....ya think?

DaBruinz said:

Do you think we were talking trade with Philly while they were there as well?

DaBruinz said:

No, they can make a trade anytime. The Bledsoe trade was during round 4.

I didn't read that the Philly doctors would be in Foxboro, though I don't see why it would be a problem with the Pats to have a joint exam of him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes