PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking News Per Schefter: Long-term contract for Hernandez!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If lloyd can do what he did in denver 2 years ago..watch out

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen the terms yet in this thread:

The contract Hernandez signed today is a five-year extension worth a maximum value of $40 million and includes a $12.5-million signing bonus. Hernandez is guaranteed $16 million, with a practical guarantee of $16.4 million.

The extension, which still includes his the $545,000 and $570,000 base salaries he was to make the next two season, averages $7.5 million. That's the second-highest extension in league history for a tight end in league.

Brian Murphy, a Medfield native, negotiated the deal for Athletes First.

The $12.5 million signing bonus is the highest ever for a tight end, and $9.5 million will be paid in the next seven months.

Aaron Hernandez deal worth $40 million - Extra Points - Boston.com

Pats are going to have a whole lot of money tied up at tight end a couple of years from now, but if anyone's worth it, it's these two.

Agreed Deus, but I think you got to give a chance for Wilson and Ebner to develop before using a high pick at safety.

He may be speculating as I do that Chung will go away on FA leaving it a position of need.

Right now it looks as if OT, safety, maybe OC and certainly a fast large WR are positions of need for 2013.

That's pretty reasonable. $8M/year is in the ballpark of what Jermichael Finley got from Green Bay (he got $15M for 2 years as a placeholder to buy time while he and the team sort out his long term status), and Finley is probably the closest thing out there to Hernandez in terms of a hybrid TE/WR. The $16M guaranteed is essentially what the Pats had offered Welker last year. It's a reasonable deal to tie up a potential impact player who is only 23.

Pats are going to have a whole lot of money tied up at tight end a couple of years from now, but if anyone's worth it, it's these two.

Exactly, it's all on how you look at it. I have Hernandez listed as a WR/TE on my roster, and Gronk's position is simply "Beast".

They're really the ideal pair for a no-huddle offense in particular, because they let let you show so many looks with the same personnel. Great offseason, Floyd & co.!

Awesome News!

9ebde10b-6862-4c11-9a2a-4feeb3a6e25c.Medium.jpg

Wow! I thought there would be a slim chance we could keep both stud TEs long term. Now we just need to develop one young WR in a year or two and the offense will be unstoppable for 3+ years.

Reiss speculated yesterday that injuries to Vollmer and Chung plus Welker's franchise tag could open the door for a Hernandez long term deal if he was agreeable:

The feeling here is that Sebastian Vollmer and Patrick Chung have to prove they can make it through a season healthy before the Patriots would make a substantial long-term investment in them (they both are in the last year of their contracts). Meanwhile, the Patriots already tried with Wes Welker, and it didn't work out. Put all those factors together, and consider how the Patriots have been more proactive with the projected flat salary cap in mind over the next few years, and it would seem to open a window for Aaron Hernandez as the current top target for a potential long-term contract (even with two years remaining on his deal). That would be smart business from this perspective, similar to the team's dealings with Rob Gronkowski. No need to wait if the sides could find a common ground.

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL and Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Good call by Reiss. I don't know if he heard rumblings of something in the works or was just reading the tea leaves, but either way he nailed it.

I'm ecstatic about this. Hernandez, Gronk and Lloyd are under contract for the next 3 years. Ridley and Vereen show signs of developing, and are also under contract for 3 more years. We have Welker this year, and realistically only need to keep Wes another year or 2 or develop one young WR or find a veteran to have our offensive skill players intact. Plus there's the potential of Demps developing as a weapon, Ballard coming back from injury, and other guys playing key supporting roles.

He may be speculating as I do that Chung will go away on FA leaving it a position of need.

Right now it looks as if OT, safety, maybe OC and certainly a fast large WR are positions of need for 2013.

Agreed, although I think that Connolly could be a long-term fit at C, which would create a long-term need at RG. OT depends largely on Vollmer's health this season, I think. If he performs, and the market value for him remains low based on his injury history, then I could see him getting a second contract here. If not, the Pats will be without a second starter-caliber RT, and will definitely need to get one next offseason via draft or trade. That, IMO, would make OT priority 1, WR priority 2, and safety priority 3 (I'm assuming that Chung is gone, barring an exceptional season).

I think the argument that Gronk and Hernandez were more important long term priorities is a valid one, and that's not disrespectful in any way, however the "too old, too small, system receiver, Edelman can replace him easily and the offense wouldn't drop off arguments, as wsell, as the horsecrap about his "diminishing skills" are all really ignorant and disrespectful arguments, especially when they were all used over a year ago and all proven to be bullsh.t.

If you think those arguments against Welker respect his performance and him as a player then so be it, I don't.

Number one, I was not the poster who wrote about his skills diminishing. I don't think the poster who wrote it meant that his skills are currently dimishing either - just that they may be on the downswing when he's pushing 33. I don't see that as any disrespect to Wes Welker at all. Some have argued, 'yeah what about Brady at 35?' Different position and completely different physical needs.

Would there be a dropoff for the Offense with no Welker? You bet.

For years 2014+, I believe having no Hernandez and less room to maneuver for the secondary would be a bigger concern versus no Welker in 2014+.

What he said was that his production was likely to go down due to "diminishing skills, " which was stated like it was a fact. I simply want him to show us how his skills have been "diminsihing.

Right there, you are confusing your current tenses and future tenses.

THAT is the problem.

I'm missing something here. We have Gregory, Wilson and Ebner signed through 2014. If the rookies develop, how is safety a position of serious need? With regard to C, we will have 3 centers signed through 2013, including the developing Nick McDonald.

As of today, the biggest 2013 need is at RT. Of course, we have Vollmer and Cannon, either of whom could fill this position for 2013.

Last edited:

THAT is the problem.

You never know. He might just turn immortal and stop aging entirely

I'm missing something here. We have Gregory, Wilson and Ebner signed through 2014. If the rookies develop, how is safety a position of serious need?

Because they'll need a quality safety and none of the above are likely to be confused with Eric Berry anytime soon.

You never know. He might just turn immortal and stop aging entirely

That WAS a superhuman fast recovery from ACL/MCL for a speed slot WR.

Last edited:

THAT is the problem.

That's your opinion, I'm not confused about what he meant at all. If someone had made a similar argument about Brady a couple of years ago when he re-signed then everyone would have been outraged and demanded evidence. Had anyone said "Brady is too old, likely to be injured again, a system QB whose production will go down due to diminishing skills posters here would have been bullsh.t and demanded proof of those claims, and they would have been right, as Brady has only continued to get better, despite coming off injury and being over 33.

People shouldn't be invoking "diminishing skills" when a player is still getting better every year, which is what Welker has done.

Unless someone else throws crap onm Welker I'm out of this debate. Ken can't support any of his claims and will just continue to ignore anyone who challenges him on them.

That's your opinion, I'm not confused about what he meant at all. If someone had made a similar argument about Brady a couple of years ago when he re-signed then everyone would have been outraged and demanded evidence. Had anyone said "Brady is too old, likely to be injured again, a system QB whose production will go down due to diminishing skills posters here would have been bullsh.t and demanded proof of those claims, and they would have been right, as Brady has only continued to get better, despite coming off injury and being over 33.

People shouldn't be invoking "diminishing skills" when a player is still getting better every year, which is what Welker has done.

Unless someone else throws crap onm Welker I'm out of this debate. Ken can't support any of his claims and will just continue to ignore anyone who challenges him on them.

Quarterback and slot receiver are very different positions. There's a fair amount of precedent for QBs playing well into their mid-30s and beyond, and even more reason to believe that Brady would age well (his primary skills aren't particularly subject to wear-and-tear/aging). The same can't be said for Welker. Not a knock on him, and I still hope that the Pats can find a way to re-up Welker, but in that context it's pretty easy to understand why Hernandez is a higher priority.

Last edited:
This is more great work from the FO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes