PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking News .....Flaccid is not practicing so far this week....

Status
Not open for further replies.

From the article:

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said he’s already spoken with league officials about why the play didn’t draw a penalty under an NFL rule that protects quarterbacks from low hits.

The NFL adopted the rule to further protect quarterbacks after former Ravens strong safety Bernard Pollard knocked Patriots quarterback Tom Brady out for the 2008 season with a low hit that tore knee ligaments.

Aaron Wilson is generally one of the better-informed writers out there, so it's a bit surprising he misrepresented The Carson Palmer Rule.

Flacco the Whacko is quoted quite a bit in this story.

The injury does seem to be in his head a bit:
“I don’t know if it will be a necessity or not, but I’m going to wear it,” said Flacco, who hasn’t worn a brace since his junior year at Delaware when he sprained his left medial collateral ligament. “There’s no reason not to. The brace isn’t a big deal. Hopefully, it will prevent anything really crazy from happening if I happen to get hit on it again.”

Awful sentiment in OP, if we saw that on other boards we would have a thread complaining about it talking about how classless they are.

I want healthy teams on both sides of the ball, never wish injury on a team. If we had to rely on another team being injured, that's another way of saying we aren't good enough to win.

The Patriots need to do a lot of one gapping in this game and attack Flacco. The guy's not exactly the most fleet of foot to begin with. With this injury, he's a sitting duck. One gap them up front and play tight press man with McCourty deep to protect against Torrey Smith/Jacoby Jones.

From the article:

Aaron Wilson is generally one of the better-informed writers out there, so it's a bit surprising he misrepresented The Carson Palmer Rule.
:

Just another prime example of if a lie is said enough it becomes the truth.

Joe Flacco did wind up undergoing an MRI on his knee, which revealed a "mild" MCL sprain.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Flacco will wear a brace on the knee when he starts against New England, as expected. Flacco practiced on a limited basis Wednesday, confirming he's on track to play. Flacco has been a fantasy QB2 throughout the season. That will not change in fantasy championship week.

NFL | Flacco's MRI revealed 'mild' sprain of MCL - Rotoworld.com

He's got some rubbery knee joints. I thought for sure he had to have damage after seeing his knee bend sideways like that. It looked pretty bad.

Awful sentiment in OP, if we saw that on other boards we would have a thread complaining about it talking about how classless they are.

I want healthy teams on both sides of the ball, never wish injury on a team. If we had to rely on another team being injured, that's another way of saying we aren't good enough to win.

I agree, but the Patriots are playing with the most injuries to key players that I can remember, so it doesn't bother me in the least that Ray Rice didn't practice with a bruised thigh and Joe Flacco didn't throw any passes on his aching knee.

I really want Flacco to have happy feet as the pocket collapses around him. If you think fans from any team are feeling sorry for Tom Brady when he gets smacked to the ground, or when the Logan Mankins lined up outside, you're kidding yourself.

Flacco has been sacked 47 times this year and is averaging more than one interception per game. The Patriots need turnovers and they need to keep Flacco off-balance to have a chance on Sunday.

He's got some rubbery knee joints. I thought for sure he had to have damage after seeing his knee bend sideways like that. It looked pretty bad.

Mcl sprain is no small injury. Especially on your planting foot.

I wouldn't care if the Pats played backup QBs all the way to the Meadowlands; in fact, I would prefer it. No one would feel bad if they beat a depleted Patriots team, why would we feel bad beating another team that has been beset by injury? I am never saddened by injury to rivals because it improves the Pats' chances of winning. In the grand scheme of things, even a serious injury like an ACL is something that virtually everyone comes back from the next year and does not impact the player's earning potential, so why be upset about it? And if it is not upsetting, why not root for it to happen? Do you really think that rooting for it to happen makes it more likely to happen? I am not superstitious, so I have no problem in rooting for injury to opponents. If that makes me "classless" then so be it, as people who hurl that word around typically wouldn't know class if it came up and smacked them in the face.

In the grand scheme of things, even a serious injury like an ACL is something that virtually everyone comes back from the next year and does not impact the player's earning potential, so why be upset about it? And if it is not upsetting, why not root for it to happen?

I hope you realize that is rank sophistry.

Flacco does a decent job of moving inside the pocket to avoid the rush. The Ravens can downplay this all they like, but the injury will likely affect his mobility as well as his ability to plant and throw. If the Patriots can somehow find a way to generate some inside pressure, they may get home on home with greater success than if he were 100% healthy.

The Patriots need to do a lot of one gapping in this game and attack Flacco. The guy's not exactly the most fleet of foot to begin with. With this injury, he's a sitting duck. One gap them up front and play tight press man with McCourty deep to protect against Torrey Smith/Jacoby Jones.

not sure pats will change their 2gapping scheme to 1. Depends how the game goes. Flacco does take 12-14 step drops for his deep bombs sometimes so maybe that goes away or maybe he is exclusively in the shotgun most of the game .We have to see. Our pass rush has been abysmal , one of the reasons for struggle vs cleveland.

not sure pats will change their 2gapping scheme to 1. Depends how the game goes. Flacco does take 12-14 step drops for his deep bombs sometimes so maybe that goes away or maybe he is exclusively in the shotgun most of the game .We have to see. Our pass rush has been abysmal , one of the reasons for struggle vs cleveland.

If the pats are 2 gapping, then no wonder their line is overmatched. They're too small.

Anyway, be careful what you wish for. Worse case, Flacco the whacko comes out and their replacement throws for 500 yards, 5 TDs, etc. Pats have a way of making backups look like HOFers.

I want to see a DL of Ninkovich/Buchanan (would like to see Buchanan on the field for this one as a pure pass rusher), Chris Jones, Siliga, Chandler Jones. That might be one of the better pass rushing DL's we have left. But if that DL two gaps, they're going to be frequently overpowered by the Ravens' OL. One gap is the way to go. Flacco is slow as hell anyway. The sprained MCL just makes him even more immobile.

And there are people that still defend the Lions defense saying they are tough. They are dirty that's it. Bountygate 2.

About Flacco, I want him on the field to be picked twice sunday.

I also don't wish any player to get injured, apart from Pollard, I would smile if he got beheaded in a primetime game.

I've often said, Pollard is on the .top of my very short list of players I wish injury to. And when he does, I hope it's a dirty play and it hurts like all hell! :mad:

Further example of how little professional journalists (sic) know about the topics on which they expound. It's not just sports.

He didn't even need an MRI or any further tests, so it's really not that big of a deal in the least.

They said that he's wearing the knee brace in limited practice for the rest of the week because he got freaked out due to the lower hit that he took from DeAndre Levy on Monday night.

It's not like he's regularly running for 10-15 yds at a time anyway. He's going to stand back there like most QBs and fling the ball. Hopefully our defense comes to play on Sunday, and continues some improvements that we saw in certain areas vs Miami.

For a QB like him, where mobility isn't even part of his arsenal anyway, it might not be a bad idea to just wear a brace all the time. All it takes is one hit for it to save your season.

I want to see a DL of Ninkovich/Buchanan (would like to see Buchanan on the field for this one as a pure pass rusher), Chris Jones, Siliga, Chandler Jones. That might be one of the better pass rushing DL's we have left. But if that DL two gaps, they're going to be frequently overpowered by the Ravens' OL. One gap is the way to go. Flacco is slow as hell anyway. The sprained MCL just makes him even more immobile.

The reason why Buchanan got benched in the first place is because he wasn't maintaining gap integrity, and I agree that that really shouldn't matter on obvious passing downs against Flacco.

The reason why Buchanan got benched in the first place is because he wasn't maintaining gap integrity, and I agree that that really shouldn't matter on obvious passing downs against Flacco.

That's why he shouldn't be playing against mobile quarterbacks. Against Flacco, he should be inserted.

You've obviously never played football, hockey, or boxing....or any "combat" sport.....which is ok....but let me educate you. If you are a boxer and you know that your opponent suffered a broken nose in his last fight 6 weeks ago...are you going to say "Oh...well I won't hit him in the nose....I don't want to win that way......I won't hit him in the head at all just in case"???? Ummm....no.....if you know that someone has a weakness in a sport....you EXPLOIT it.....!!! You seem to have a pollyanna approach to one of the most physical sports (if not THE MOST physical sport) in the world. If you can get a hit on a guy's ankle that is already injured....and TAKE HIM OUT of the game....you do it! You don't think anyone has taken a shot, or tried to wrap up Peyton Manning's ankle? Of course they have....but he has had great protection....and he is a pretty tough SOB pain wise (guy has been playing with a high ankle sprain.....that is extremely tough)

When blocking on a kickoff return and your return man is just about to break it and you see a defender coming back to the play but you have his blind side...do you all of a sudden PULL UP because...."Hey I don't want to hurt anybody here" or do you crush the guy to allow your KR to make his way into the endzone?

This is a tough game played by EXTREMELY tough people. I used to play and it was brutal. If you know someone has a weakness.....or if you have to make a TOUGH hit to help your team....you DO IT! I'm just saying I hope we get alot of clean shots on Flaccid and take him out......we win the division and move into good position for the playoffs....don't see anything wrong with that. Trust me....Terrell Suggs and Pollard are thinking the same thing for Tom Brady.....its part of the game. I know that you never played....so it is hard to comprehend......

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News