PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Break It Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is talking about the Pats losing to the Jests on purpose because the Pats don't lose on purpose to anyone. Not saying they can't lose to them though.

Plus, even if the Jets win out they will lose to Pitt on tiebreakers unless Pitt loses the game this week at home against the Broncos. There's no way the Steelers are going to lose to either the Ravens or Browns, even on the road.

It would almost be worth it to see the Pats lose to the Jests if it meant that the Jets could go 11-5 and miss out on the playoffs to Indy or Houston at 7-9 or 8-8.

The Patriots deliberately lost to the dolphins ago they could get the jags in the playoffs, but that was a very rare occurrence.

That said they won't lose to the jets on purpose with two games to go

If all wins out, then its Steelers there loose on tie breaker ;)

I'm not sure, let me check. I thought I read that it was Pitt that would win out.
1. Head-to-head, if applicable. (not applicable)
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference. (tied at 8-4)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four. (Pitt would win 3-1 to 2-2 if they both win out)

The Patriots deliberately lost to the dolphins ago they could get the jags in the playoffs, but that was a very rare occurrence.

That said they won't lose to the jets on purpose with two games to go

I don't remember it that way. I do remember that being the accusation though. The claim was that Cassel was told by Belichick not to throw the game tying 2 point conversion after a TD with seconds left. I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now. If it was true then why have Cassel throw 2 TDs in the 4th quarter? I thought that the Pats rested Brady but not with the purpose to lose.

As much as I would like the Steelers to be out of the playoffs I doubt it happens. They will not be denied and likely the Jets fail to get in though I think they are better than KC to be totally honest.

My playoffs look like this (I used ESPN's playoff machine)

AFC #1 Pats #2 Broncos #3 Bengals #4 Texans #5 KC #6 Steelers
NFC #1 Panthers #2 Cards #3 GB #4 Redskins #5 Seahawks #6 Vikings

AFC

Steelers @ Bengals - Bengals win - This is a game that even if Dalton comes back he will not be 100% for. The Bengals are a loser franchise and facing a better team. But the law of probability says they need to win a playoff game eventually. A few flukes go their way ot Pitt just has a bad day.

KC @ Texans - KC wins - Texans just are not good enough. Not to say KC is great.

KC @ Pats - Pats win - Pats are just better and they have no more flukey games or plays go against them the rest of the year. They had them already.

Bengals @ Broncos - Bengals win - They finally got that monkey off their back and are getting Dalton healthier though he will not be 100% the rest of the year. What wins the game is their D vs Denver O. The Denver O just can't do much vs a decent D.

Bengals @ Patriots - Pats win - This is going to be a hard fought game and the coaching will play a big part as to why the Patriots win. Also the Pats D slows down a good Bengals O and makes Dalton look more like the Dalton we are use to seeing.

NFC

Vikings @ GB - GB wins - Divisional hype helps fuel this game but in the end GB is just better and Rodgers will not lose to this kind of team.

Seahawks @ Redskins - Seahawks win - The Hawks stay hot but they will not be at home for this playoff run which will make it tough.

GB @ Cards - Cards win - GB just does not have the offensive weapons to make this D suffer and they Cards O exposes the GB D a bit. This will be a tight game but GB is just too out gunned as long as Palmer is healthy for this team.

Seahawks @ Carolina - Seahawks win - The first upset of the NFC side. Carolina should win this game but Wilson and this O will not give up the cheap turnovers and it turns into a defensive struggle. In the end Carolina finds themselves needing to pass to win and Cam does well but not good enough. A pair of picks end the run for this team that did not manage to go 16-0 in the regular season.

Cards @ Seahawks - Cards win - The Seahawks/Patriots rematch story line is in the air. However the Cards do not let Wilson have his way and shut down the run for the most part. Palmer is more a traditional passer than Cam and able to exploit this D a bit better with his better weapons. Also the fact is the Seahawks do tend to be a different team on the road and it catches up to them here.

Pats vs Cards - Pats win - This is not the game the NFL wanted. Carolina/GB/Seahawks would all be better story lines in the NFC and for the AFC they did not want ths Pats to get through but it happened. AZ has been a good team all year and will continue to be in this game. Our DBs have their hands full most of the game but they compete and play well as they have all year. The Pats D holds them down enough and Our O with Brady/Gronk/Edelman looks crisp. The Pats win this game that is fairly tight for 3 quarters but they pull away late to win 34-20 in what is the first Pats SB win in which drama was not big in the ending but still a good SB none the less.

Last edited:
I want to see the Jesters go 11-5 and miss the playoffs. I can't see Pitt losing at
Cincy in first round. The Stillers will be coming to Foxboro for the de-facto
AFCCG in divisional round. We will beat them given reasonable health.

I want to see the Jesters go 11-5 and miss the playoffs. I can't see Pitt losing at

You want to see the Jets beat the Pats?

You want to see the Jets beat the Pats?

I think we rest a lot of guys the last 2 weeks if we win and pitt beats Denver. Practically clinches a bye. I'm more worried about our health than a potential AFCCG on the road.

I don't remember it that way. I do remember that being the accusation though. The claim was that Cassel was told by Belichick not to throw the game tying 2 point conversion after a TD with seconds left. I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now. If it was true then why have Cassel throw 2 TDs in the 4th quarter? I thought that the Pats rested Brady but not with the purpose to lose.

I'm pretty sure Belichick told Cassel to throw it away at the end so they could get Jacksonville.

I think we rest a lot of guys the last 2 weeks if we win and pitt beats Denver. Practically clinches a bye. I'm more worried about our health than a potential AFCCG on the road.

Maybe in Week 17, but it's never been the case that Belichick has began resting starters in Week 16 so I doubt it.

You want the jets to beat the Patriots?

As long as there's no thoin pogging :p involved, count me in!
865ab71c73284baef722eae6b8b26d43.jpg
So that's who that is in Grid's avatar. I always thought it was the crazy reverend from Deadwood.

upload_2015-12-17_15-9-47.png

I'm pretty sure Belichick told Cassel to throw it away at the end so they could get Jacksonville.

Yes, I remember that claim being made but it made no sense. Why would Belichick allow him to score two TD's in the last quarter and one at the very end of the game, only to have him throw it away on the conversion? Plus, the pass was damn close.

Here's mine. I have a couple of surprises thrown in. I think the Jags are going to win out, get some help, and win the division. They're playing some very solid football right now on both sides and they can score points. I also have the Chiefs being the "surprise team" coming out of the AFC and advancing toward doom in Foxboro...

1. Pats
2. Broncos
3. Bengals
4. Jaguars
5. Chiefs
6. Steelers

WILD CARD
Steelers at Bengals - STEELERS
Chiefs at Jaguars - CHIEFS

DIVISIONAL
Chiefs at Broncos - CHIEFS
Steelers at Pats - PATS

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP
Chiefs at Pats - PATS

01 ~ I obviously agree about the Chiefs.
02 ~ I like the Jaguars Call, as well. Big Fan of Bortles from way way back, and also a Fan of Coach Bradley, though that hasn't gone as well as I thought it might: They are the only Team in that Division that has any real Fire to'm, and are only a Game out, after all: They could easily win it.

Last edited:
No one talking about Patriots on purpose loosing to Jets to keep Steelers out of playoff ?

Aside from the obvious ~ that the very Idea of The Hardest Working Team in this Great Game's History losing on purpose is disgustingly offensive ~ we've always done very well against the Steelers.

Check yourself, Brother Lux.

Last edited:
Yes, I remember that claim being made but it made no sense. Why would Belichick allow him to score two TD's in the last quarter and one at the very end of the game, only to have him throw it away on the conversion? Plus, the pass was damn close.

All good points it just seemed to me like they gave it away at the end, and it made sense in terms of matchups. I like your version better though.

I agree with those seeds and results. However, it's still a possibility that Cincy could lose out and be overtaken by the Steelers if they win out. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

:eek:

That is indeed a distinct Possibility...And it would entail the Bangles blowing a 3.5 Game Lead!! :eek:

Ironic, indeed, that this would be the second time in about a Decade that the Steelers have directly shattered the Bangles's Chances at a long PlayOff Run by blowing up their QuarterBack!! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes