PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Tate's hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basket catches?? Unless over your shoulder.. You always want to catch with your hands and pull the ball in.. Catching with your body is probably the worst thing you can do. This applies to any athlete playing any sport..

Are you aware they are talking about kickoff returns?

The way he does it is the way you SHOULD do it if you CAN do it that way, especially when taking the ball in the endzone. Plenty of KR's can't do it reliably and so have to back up more to secure the ball. He's also unusually good at positioning himself properly to get his weight moving forward as he catches it, rather than still going backward as a lot of returners are. You can tell he's had a lot of returns in his career.

So far his TD to fumble ratio is pretty good, so until it is a problem, I'm okay with it.

Unrelated to this exact subject, but appropos to Tate, I think that between he and Hakeem Nicks, Tate was the better receiver.

We're really going to find out now, with Tate looking to become more of a focal point in the offense. However, until he starts doing more, I don't even think it's close... Hakeem Nicks is the better of the two.

It's poor technique. Sure you always want to catch the ball with your hands, but should you miss, and you are at "basket" height, the ball will land right in front of you so you can fall on it and protect posession. If you catch the ball over your head and miss, its a live ball fumble behind you, with the opposition running full speed toward it.

Depending of field position. I completely disagree.

If he is fielding the ball at the 20 yard line -- I agree.

If he is field the ball in the end zone or within around 10 yards of the end zone....than the result of a messed up basket catch is the ball bounces onto the field of play where it could potentially be recovered by the kicking team. On the other hand if you fub an attempted overhead catch...the ball continues to travel to the endzone. Having it bounce into the endzone then results in no return but the Patriots having a 1 st and 10 on the 20. Aka a touchback.

Thus most of the time this is the less risky way to attempt to a catch a kick off. Of course dependant on field position.

Well I guess I'll be the one to throw it out there... catching the ball sooner or later has NOT been a factor in his 2 TDs, he's had to set up the blocking on both of them anyway.

However... if he keeps doing it then the coaches don't have a problem with it, and it's not a big deal to begin with. I'm sure technically Hobbs shouldn't be running kicks back from 9 yards in the endzone either.

:agree:

I'm guessing that, as with Hobbs, they'll talk with Tate about what he sees/does, but they're basically going to give him the green light.

Not sure, but considering he broke return records in college and has already brought two to the house within four games, he can catch 'em however he wants for all I care.

well said:D

remember that sick high knee jolt he added when he took it all the way;)

Not sure, but considering he broke return records in college and has already brought two to the house within four games, he can catch 'em however he wants for all I care.

Pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I believe the reason though is related to if it's a line drive kick or a pop up.

Percy Harvin does the same thing. Coincidence that they are two of the best returners in the league?

Percy Harvin does the same thing. Coincidence that they are two of the best returners in the league?

They're also two of the fastest in the league as well...

Depending of field position. I completely disagree.

If he is fielding the ball at the 20 yard line -- I agree.

If he is field the ball in the end zone or within around 10 yards of the end zone....than the result of a messed up basket catch is the ball bounces onto the field of play where it could potentially be recovered by the kicking team. On the other hand if you fub an attempted overhead catch...the ball continues to travel to the endzone. Having it bounce into the endzone then results in no return but the Patriots having a 1 st and 10 on the 20. Aka a touchback.

Thus most of the time this is the less risky way to attempt to a catch a kick off. Of course dependant on field position.
I don't know what you guys are talking about because there's no way that ball ends up behind him if he misses. He catches it at or just below is face mask. I just watched his last 2 returns in Miami and there's no way. Nothing wrong with his technique whatsoever, if anything I would say it's better there's no chance of him taking his eye off the ball which often happens with basket catches.

It would worry me on punts because it could bounce off his face mask, but there's more room for error on kick offs, except the shorter ones of course. He's already starting to move forward when he's catching so it wouldn't be too hard for him to scoop it up if it bounces off his face mask or chest on long kick offs. Though on short kick offs or punts, if you muff it, you're pretty much screwed anyway no matter which way you catch because they're on top of you.

Last edited:
So far his TD to fumble ratio is pretty good, so until it is a problem, I'm okay with it.

Unrelated to this exact subject, but appropos to Tate, I think that between he and Hakeem Nicks, Tate was the better receiver.

Nicks is playing like an elite reciever. If he doesn't slump, I'll start thinking him of him as such. If Tate is better than him, we have a huge diamond find. Right now, I'll take Nicks over Tate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes