PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Tate

Status
Not open for further replies.
He kinda almost broke a return didn't he?

Do you think after a game like yesterday BB just ignores everything that went wrong, or every player who isn't progressing like they want them too?

So if he can objectively be critical of the team they why can't fans?

It's so annoying that after every win everyone is supposed to ignore the weaknesses of this team, or a player who isn't delivering.

Nobody ignores weaknesses. Weaknesses that exist in the minds of posters are different.

Tate was important in the Minnesote game and made a critical 45 yard catch in the Pittsburgh game. How is that not contributing.

Brady only threw it 25 times yesterday (19 completions). That's 76%

Based on that, ya can't have everyone making 15 catches. Atleast that what the math says. Seems that if Brady had 19 completions, there is going to be only about 19 catches.

If it makes you feel any better someone else did some interesting stats on Palmer/Brady and TE/RB completions the past two Colts game and then wondered why we didn't throw to them more.

Do you think after a game like yesterday BB just ignores everything that went wrong, or every player who isn't progressing like they want them too?

So if he can objectively be critical of the team they why can't fans?

It's so annoying that after every win everyone is supposed to ignore the weaknesses of this team, or a player who isn't delivering.

Criticism is fine when warrented. Brandon Tate was not thrown to ONCE, so how in the blue hell can the Same Twenty People on this board complain about him? Oh, I know, because it's the Same Twenty People who complain about Welker, Brady, Hernandez, Tate...whomever they feel like directing their stupid unwarrented criticism towards at that given moment.

"Weakness of this team"? Are you f'ing kidding me? Brandon Tate is a weakness because he didn't have a pass thrown his way? Brandon Tate is a weakness because we were starting at the 35 yard line instead of the 20 almost every single drive?

Boy, you must be a miserable person. I bet watching a game with you is about as much fun as a wake.

People are seeming to forget that the Colts defense usually features two deep safeties. That will take away a guy like Tate from the offense. Especially if that guy is suffering from the flu.

Criticism is fine when warrented. Brandon Tate was not thrown to ONCE, so how in the blue hell can the Same Twenty People on this board complain about him? Oh, I know, because it's the Same Twenty People who complain about Welker, Brady, Hernandez, Tate...whomever they feel like directing their stupid unwarrented criticism towards at that given moment.

"Weakness of this team"? Are you f'ing kidding me? Brandon Tate is a weakness because he didn't have a pass thrown his way? Brandon Tate is a weakness because we were starting at the 35 yard line instead of the 20 almost every single drive?

Boy, you must be a miserable person. I bet watching a game with you is about as much fun as a wake.

Doesn't the answer here depend on "Why?", as in "Why didn't the Patriots target Tate?"?

People are seeming to forget that the Colts defense usually features two deep safeties. That will take away a guy like Tate from the offense. Especially if that guy is suffering from the flu.

Moss has had great games against the Colts, so that position in this offense has been successful.

Moss has had great games against the Colts, so that position in this offense has been successful.

For one, Brandon Tate isn't Randy Moss. For another, the passing game was more featured against the Colts when Moss was here. Yesterday, the team had 30 rushing attempts compared to 25 passing attempts. It stands to reason that Brady would target players who threaten the seam when given the opportunity to pass, considering the type of defense he was going against.

Doesn't the answer here depend on "Why?", as in "Why didn't the Patriots target Tate?"?

A "Why?" is fine. But for an essential rookie thrust into a role when Moss was traded, he's been fine. A thread full of the usual suspects criticizing him is nowhere near warrented. It's just people looking for something to complain about in a win.

If it makes you feel any better someone else did some interesting stats on Palmer/Brady and TE/RB completions the past two Colts game and then wondered why we didn't throw to them more.

Right here.

Last week, Palmer targeted a TE or RB 19 times and completed 18 of them. Yesterday Brady targeted a TE or RB 7 times and got 7 completions. It was painfully obvious that the Colts replacement linebackers have been struggling in coverage...yet I think Brady pressed this advantage exactly once in the second half. Instead of asking where Tate went, I am wondering about the location of Brady's good sense. Brady had a fine game yesterday, but someone has to shake him of his nervous Welker/Branch tic when he gets a lead.

They are not really being targeted that much. Tate has 33 targets, with 18 receptions and then Edelman has 8 targets for 4 catches. This is out of 331 passes. This is a pretty low percentage, only 12%.

I dont think they are playing that bad. When you really look at it Tate is probably the #6 target for Brady. Welker, Branch, Gronk, Hernandez and Woodhead are all ahead of him. 18 receptions is not bad at all for your #6 pass catcher.
:rocker:

Well said.

The reason Tate was barely used was because he was sick. Very sick apparently.

Decision was made that he could be the Kick Returner but limit the receiving snaps.

If he was healthy, we wouldn't have needed Jimmy Sanders making the pick at the end. He'd have caught the TD that Edelman dropped.

its getting tiring to keep repeating this but:

Tate being sick is news to me, i did NOT know that when watching the game, and yet if you watched closely enough, you would see the reason he isnt effective yet is b/c Brady isnt really looking for him

right now tate is probably the 6th target on a play, after welker, branch, hernandez, Gronk, RB

go back and check the play where the colts bring the house, and Brady throws it away for an incompletion...Tate was open streaking down the left sideline with NOONE on him, if Tom simply lobs it up, tate could have gone for it, caught it, and gone the distance easily....Brady's miss there

it happened on another play too, where brady threw it to welker in the endzone, the guy got so much attention that the guy covering a streaking tate towards the corner of the sideline moved up EARLY, and tate was open for a td in the left corner....but no such luck, because brady threw it to welker for a small gain (maybe 1st down)

tate is open at times, its just that brady and tate dont have the chemistry between the two yet, and Brady is not really looking his way yet, once Brady starts actively looking for tate, you will see him produce, so far I gotta say it's really been more Brady than Tate at fault for the small production

(but one can only gripe so much when the offense is doing well)

People need to realize that this is really Tate's rookie year, and hes getting playing time.

Yep. I thought he would hardly see the field this year. I believe in the man

Silly me. I was just thinking that Tate has really made a contribution this year. First year players almost never show up with a big contribution every week. Heck, even veteran players almost never show that kind of consistency. If they do, they are usually Pro Bowl players.

Tate's been a real threat on kick returns and has caught enough balls downfield that defenses certainly can't ignore him. I don't what more you could ask from a first year player. He's certainly showing more than that stiff from Florida -- I can't even remember his name, now. Jackson?

Tate being sick is news to me, i did NOT know that when watching the game
He had been on the injury report as "questionable (flu)". Because of this he missed practice and I can easily see why Brady wasn't looking for him. I am not saying this is the only issue, just that this week was not a good one to make judgements about him.

The original post got this thread off to a poor start which has contributed to some of the haranguing. How can you ask if he played if you actually watched the game? He ran back three KOs (average 23). That post's not constructive at all and is asking to get slammed.

Last edited:
C'mon man!?...
Well said, and bears repeating once or a dozen times.

By the way fellow posters, anyone notice if NE was playing Indianapolis and their speed rushers with a short drop/quick pass game? :idea2:

go back and check the play where the colts bring the house, and Brady throws it away for an incompletion...Tate was open streaking down the left sideline with NOONE on him, if Tom simply lobs it up, tate could have gone for it, caught it, and gone the distance easily....Brady's miss there

I def noticed that play. Was he the Outside Receiver on the left?

Tate is a contributer and I'm glad that we have him on the team. We needed a kick returner badly. But let's not overdo his achievements.

SOME THOUGHTS

1) Tate is NOT a rookie. He practiced with the team some in 2009 and he definitely had time to work with the coaches and learn the play book. In that regard, he certainly is way ahead of players who were were drafted in 2010. It has certainly been said that it takes a long time to learn the aptriot playbook.

2) Tate is NOT producing more as a receiver than true rookies Hernandez (the youngest player in the entire nfl) or Gronkowki or even street free agent Woodhead.

3) Tate is indeed producing more than Edelman who he has supplanted as the next actual wide receiver after Welker and Branch in the depth chart, although some would consider hernadnez the #3 wide receiver.

4) In the end, Tate is a player who is thrown to deep 2-5 times a game to keep the other team's defenses honest, and in extreme situation (end of half; very long yardage needed when behind). This approach give us the occasional big play.

BOTTOM LINE
I expect Tate to compete with Price and whoever Belichick brings in for reps in 2010. Of course, we'll hear next year that Price is a "rookie".

Tate is a contributer and I'm glad that we have him on the team. We needed a kick returner badly. But let's not overdo his achievements.

SOME THOUGHTS

1) Tate is NOT a rookie. He practiced with the team some in 2009 and he definitely had time to work with the coaches and learn the play book. In that regard, he certainly is way ahead of players who were were drafted in 2010. It has certainly been said that it takes a long time to learn the aptriot playbook.

2) Tate is NOT producing more as a receiver than true rookies Hernandez (the youngest player in the entire nfl) or Gronkowki or even street free agent Woodhead.

3) Tate is indeed producing more than Edelman who he has supplanted as the next actual wide receiver after Welker and Branch in the depth chart, although some would consider hernadnez the #3 wide receiver.

4) In the end, Tate is a player who is thrown to deep 2-5 times a game to keep the other team's defenses honest, and in extreme situation (end of half; very long yardage needed when behind). This approach give us the occasional big play.

BOTTOM LINE
I expect Tate to compete with Price and whoever Belichick brings in for reps in 2010. Of course, we'll hear next year that Price is a "rookie".

Game day experience going up against NFL defenses and other personnel cannot be discounted. You are coming across that it's trivial.

Last edited:
Tate is already on the clock with me. Tick, tick, tick...how long till Belichick sends him to Denver to hang out with Maroney....

Game day experience is not trivial. However, a rookie is a player who has just completed his college career and must adjust to playing in the nfl and being part of an nfl team.

Tate may be inexperienced, but he in not a rookie. How many reps has Love had on defense? How many reps has Price had on offense. If the have similar reps for the rest of the year, should I consider them "rookies" when they come to camp in 2011?

Game day experience going up against NFL defenses and other personnel cannot be discounted. You are coming across that it's trivial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News