PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes pokes the bear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spikes doesn't appear to have much of a track record with his predictions for the outcome of sporting events; he also predicted that UConn would lose to Villanova in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. For those of you that don't follow college basketball, UConn not only won that game by 11 points, they went on to win the national championship.

Bills LB Brandon Spikes loses NCAA tournament bet to fan on Twitter - CBSSports.com

@BrandonSpikes51 said:
Uconn about to get trashed!! Watch.

Loose cannon finally goes off. Should be fun while it lasts, but it's just a matter of time before Marrone tells him to STFU.

Meet the new boss - same as the old boss ...

I see it as good natured ribbing

The tweet in the OP was but the follow up tweets not so much!

BrandonSpikes51 ‏@BrandonSpikes51 1h
4 years a slave
I'll tweet in a sec. Busy blocking every single #M******* one sec #Twitter brb
Still blocking M*******s lol
Lol they MADD
BrandonSpikes51 ‏@BrandonSpikes51 54m
Lol don't call me a thug #M******* go head and say what u really wanna say !!!
BrandonSpikes51 ‏@BrandonSpikes51 3m
Now playing @kanyewest - New slaves

I think many people equate the term "slave" to what happened in US history. However, the dictionary definition is "a person who works very hard without proper remuneration or appreciation." or "a person who is excessively dependent upon or controlled by something." Therefore, if Spikes felt he was not getting his due kudos, which based on his interviews while he was still on the team, he did, that is a justified tweet.

I think it is pathetic any athlete uses the word slave when the make millions of dollars. That word should never be used by anyone like him. What was he stuck being 4 years a slave doing?

Did he get paid? Yep
Was he forced to work for the New England Patriots? Nope could work any job he wants outside of the NFL.

It is just a plain stupid,ignorant comment.

Next time you hear someone say "I slaved over a hot stove", or that someone "pirated" software, or a defender in sports "stole" the ball/puck, or someone say's that they "busted" their ass/balls, or laughing about "soup nazi", or calling a tenacious athlete a warrior, etc... you be sure to set them straight and explain to them that, despite all of human history as evidence to the contrary, language is 100% static.

And then follow that up by telling him that allusions to recent famous things (film - 12 years a slave) are also unacceptable.

Well, he has been on the winning side of so many Patriots-Bills games that he has apparently deluded himself into thinking it has something to do with him.

However, I get tired of these references we see to slavery every once in a while from pro athletes. It is a despicable comment. Slaves were not represented by a Professional Union and slaves did not have agents and lawyers acting on their behalf.

Nobody held a gun to Spikes' head and forced him to play pro football. He could have chosen any career he wanted. Granted, his feeble mind would probably not produce a brain surgeon or rocket scientist, but you get the point.

I am curious if Spikes is aware of the fact that the Bills guarantee only $900K of his contract. Why a player who signed a 1-year contract with just $900K guaranteed at age 26 would be running off at the mouth is beyond me.

@BrandonSpikes51 – you know Dane Fletcher got more guaranteed money than your sorry ass this offseason, right!

At least he does not have to worry about 4-years of slavery again. 1-year contracts are all he will see.

:bricks:

I think it is pathetic any athlete uses the word slave when the make millions of dollars. That word should never be used by anyone like him. What was he stuck being 4 years a slave doing?
I agree with what you say, though I don't even consider the money that much of a factor.

It has to do with freedom to make personal choices. As I mentioned before, no one forced him to play football. He made that choice on his own, he was well represented by legal counsel and a professional union. True, once you sign a contract you are legally beholden to keeping your end of the bargain (although in this day and age the punishment for violating the contract isn't exactly 50 lashes tied to a tree, you just have to give some money back).

I think many people equate the term "slave" to what happened in US history. However, the dictionary definition is "a person who works very hard without proper remuneration or appreciation." or "a person who is excessively dependent upon or controlled by something." Therefore, if Spikes felt he was not getting his due kudos, which based on his interviews while he was still on the team, he did, that is a justified tweet.
Bullcrap. Spikes is not using a dictionary definition of the word "slave" we he makes the comment "4 Years a Slave."

Apparently you've been living in a cave over the past year, but that is a reference to an Academy Award winning film entitled "12 Years a Slave" which, I assure you, was not about a man who simply "worked very hard without proper remuneration or appreciation."

He is deliberately making a racially charged comment and clearly referencing slavery as it existed in this country over a century and a half ago. It is idiotic to suggest he is just complaining about working hard for little pay.

Not that I am offended by Brandon's choice in words.....but both Merriam-Webster and Dictionary.com disagree with whatever dictionary you got that definition from.

4 years a slave?

He's right. Remember when our ancestors used to get drafted from Africa against their own will and get paid millions of dollars to play football?

Yeah, it's just like how it was back in the day before Lincoln gave us freedom. Just like that.

Yeah...

Not that I am offended by Brandon's choice in words.....but both Merriam-Webster and Dictionary.com disagree with whatever dictionary you got that definition from.
Yeah I was wondering what dictionary pctronics was using as well.

Clearly what Spikes meant was he was calling himself, as dictionary.com explains, "a subsidiary flash lamp actuated through its photoelectric cell when the principal flash lamp is discharged." :D

If he was a slave then 95%+ of Americans are slaves and most are paid far, far less than what he was.

He was one of the lucky slaves who made enough in 4 years to buy his freedom (if he saved his money) and never have to be a slave again! The rest of us have to work 30 or 40 years as a slave.

It's all relative I guess.

Yeah I was wondering what dictionary pctronics was using as well.

Clearly what Spikes meant was he was calling himself, as dictionary.com explains, "a subsidiary flash lamp actuated through its photoelectric cell when the principal flash lamp is discharged." :D

Maybe Spikes got one over on all of us...he was trying to say he is really bright.:drum:

Just bein a good "Company Man" for Buffalo. So Bill finally took gun from his head and let he go huh?

I can see Bill walkin over to Brady on side lines vs Bills and sayin Tom Remember that tweet by BS sure you do I showed in meeting this week well FK what Josh just drew up and Light'm up like a Christmas Tree! Brady: Yes Sir!

Next time you hear someone say "I slaved over a hot stove", or that someone "pirated" software, or a defender in sports "stole" the ball/puck, or someone say's that they "busted" their ass/balls, or laughing about "soup nazi", or calling a tenacious athlete a warrior, etc... you be sure to set them straight and explain to them that, despite all of human history as evidence to the contrary, language is 100% static.

And then follow that up by telling him that allusions to recent famous things (film - 12 years a slave) are also unacceptable.

Yeah, this. It's called figurative language, and the word isn't a slur or anything.

There's also something decidedly uncomfortable about white people preaching to black people about the proper definition and use of the word slave, too.

Yeah, this. It's called figurative language, and the word isn't a slur or anything.

There's also something decidedly uncomfortable about white people preaching to black people about the proper definition and use of the word slave, too.

Cuz white people can't be slaves?:bricks:

Did Brandon Spikes forget he signed a 1 year contract? He's acting like he signed a 12 year contract for $150 million guaranteed. How funny would it be if the Bills cut him before the year started?

Again I just think it is a stupid comment, but it is all about context.

Spike is referencing the movie and book 12 Years a Slave with is a story about a slave who was born a free man and kidnapped into slavery. So he is joking that his plight in NE was like Solomon Northup's back in the 1800s.

Calling someone a Soup Nazi doesn't imply he exterminates Jews with soup. Saying you slave over a stove doesn't reference southern slavery. I think you are reaching for analogies.

It was a dumb joke which makes him look foolish, but you are doing the same thing you are accusing others of doing just in an 180 degree direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back