PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes pokes the bear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next time you hear someone say "I slaved over a hot stove", or that someone "pirated" software, or a defender in sports "stole" the ball/puck, or someone say's that they "busted" their ass/balls, or laughing about "soup nazi", or calling a tenacious athlete a warrior, etc... you be sure to set them straight and explain to them that, despite all of human history as evidence to the contrary, language is 100% static.

And then follow that up by telling him that allusions to recent famous things (film - 12 years a slave) are also unacceptable.

And next time someone make $3.25M over those "4 years a slave" what being a slave really means.

Being a slave does not mean making money. And the fact that slavery still exists in this world, someone who makes $1M+ a year should not really say he was "4 years a slave".

12 years a slave was a movie about a real slave. Solomon Northup, who was a free black man who was kidnapped and sold into Salvery. Not really a thing to bring up when defending a man who is free and making $3.25M this year

Again I just think it is a stupid comment, but it is all about context.

Spike is referencing the movie and book 12 Years a Slave with is a story about a slave who was born a free man and kidnapped into slavery. So he is joking that his plight in NE was like Solomon Northup's back in the 1800s.

Calling someone a Soup Nazi doesn't imply he exterminates Jews with soup. Saying you slave over a stove doesn't reference southern slavery. I think you are reaching for analogies.

It was a dumb joke which makes him look foolish, but you are doing the same thing you are accusing others of doing just in an 180 degree direction.

While I agree that we cheapen things like slavery, genocide, etc. by overusing them as a punchline, I also think Spikes was looking for a pithy phrase to use as an analogy in a 140 chars or less punchline about his time in New England and not implying that he was a literal slave like Solomon Northup.

It's not really going out on a limb to say that Spikes knows he was not literally a slave while playing for the New England Patriots, so I'm not really sure why people keep throwing around the dictionary definition as if it matters.

I find it hilarious how people attempt to defend what one person's opinion by telling the person who doesn't agree with it that they have no right to their own opinion.

The funniest part is they don't even realize how ignorant their comments are. :popcorn:

The problem with Spikes is the only noise he ever makes is on twitter.

Have fun Buffalo. :D

Try as I might, I can hardly fathom a less interesting topic than the implications of someone like Brandon Spikes using the word slave on Twitter.

just curious, how much longer are we going to be doing the whole "slavery" thing?

Seriously, I mean, I can count the number of times on one hand that I've seen a young Jewish person freak out over the numerous times the Jewish religion has been enslaved, and mass murdered.

It's been 150+ years. since half of this god damned country fought to end slavery, and to be perfectly honest, I'm over people trying to guilt all white people with it.

I had nothing to do with Slavery, I'd have to go back what 10 generations to find a family member that MIGHT have played a role, POSSIBLY negatively.

It happened, it was pretty ******* bad, but get the hell over it.

/end rant:bricks:

P.s. I hope we destroy the bills, I hope we bury them so far in the ground they start over again next year with another new coaching staff.

Assuming that your family is from New England, if your ancestors were involved at all it was likely as soldiers fighting to end slavery.

And next time someone make $3.25M over those "4 years a slave" what being a slave really means.

Being a slave does not mean making money. And the fact that slavery still exists in this world, someone who makes $1M+ a year should not really say he was "4 years a slave".

12 years a slave was a movie about a real slave. Solomon Northup, who was a free black man who was kidnapped and sold into Salvery. Not really a thing to bring up when defending a man who is free and making $3.25M this year

Being a slave doesn't mean having to work under unpleasant conditions of being told what to do and not do. Being a slave doesn't mean having to cook a meal for your family, either, and it doesn't mean needing to have all the newest fashions. Except that it can mean all of these things, particularly in the colloquial, no matter how much you cry about it.

Get off your faux soapbox. You're clowning yourself.

I generally just don't care at all what he says. Clearly he didn't seem to like his time w/the Pats but to call it 'four years a slave' is too much. First off it's the NFL and he is making more money than most of us. Hope the turd enjoys his freedom over in Buffalo. Good luck.

just curious, how much longer are we going to be doing the whole "slavery" thing?

Seriously, I mean, I can count the number of times on one hand that I've seen a young Jewish person freak out over the numerous times the Jewish religion has been enslaved, and mass murdered.

It's been 150+ years. since half of this god damned country fought to end slavery, and to be perfectly honest, I'm over people trying to guilt all white people with it.

I had nothing to do with Slavery, I'd have to go back what 10 generations to find a family member that MIGHT have played a role, POSSIBLY negatively.

It happened, it was pretty ******* bad, but get the hell over it.

/end rant:bricks:

P.s. I hope we destroy the bills, I hope we bury them so far in the ground they start over again next year with another new coaching staff.

Lol where do I even start?

I love how when people show their disapproval with blacks referencing their own unpleasant history during the American slave trade, they act as if the next.... I don't know... 150 years was a weekend at the spa. I'm sorry but if your family lived in this country in the last 100 years it's very likely they/you benefitted from the slave trade and the ensuing human rights issues in its aftermath.

Also he was 1000% spot on with the thug shyt. It's not even clever, it's pretty clear what it is. Does spikes even have a criminal record?

Even if spikes was white I wouldn't care about his comment because he is just trolling pats fans. He's clearly succeeded.

Lol where do I even start?

I love how when people show their disapproval with blacks referencing their own unpleasant history during the American slave trade, they act as if the next.... I don't know... 150 years was a weekend at the spa. I'm sorry but if your family lived in this country in the last 100 years it's very likely they/you benefitted from the slave trade and the ensuing human rights issues in its aftermath.

Also he was 1000% spot on with the thug shyt. It's not even clever, it's pretty clear what it is. Does spikes even have a criminal record?

Even if spikes was white I wouldn't care about his comment because he is just trolling pats fans. He's clearly succeeded.

150 years ago, my ancestors were coming over on boats because of a famine that was engineered by the British government and killed a million of 'my people'. And yet somehow I manage not to hold it against the people or government of England. Why? Because I didn't experience it firsthand, didn't suffer on account of it, and literally nobody alive today had anything to do with it.

The comment was a joke - although if Spikes actually saw the movie I doubt it is one he would make. I found the movie depressing...

Spikes should be more concerned about the Pats finding a way for him to be isolated in coverage against Ridley. I look for the Pats to find ways to take advantage of Spikes weaknesses and they definitely know them. Although, given the way the Pats ran on the Bills in the last game the teams played, I totally understand why the Bills brought in Spikes.

150 years ago, my ancestors were coming over on boats because of a famine that was engineered by the British government and killed a million of 'my people'. And yet somehow I manage not to hold it against the people or government of England. Why? Because I didn't experience it firsthand, didn't suffer on account of it, and literally nobody alive today had anything to do with it.

Hold it against? Not sure what that means. I wouldn't advocate for any group of people to forget their history because it didn't happen to them in the present. If remembering where your ancestors come from is holding it against others, then why is July 4th such a celebrated holiday?

It just seems to me slavery brings up things people don't like to think about especially cause it happened on American soil.

How did a daughter of the intelligent and articulate Doc Rivers ever date that idiot?

That said, he's a celebrity having harmless fun as he relates to his fans, so I don't have a real problem with it.

Hold it against? Not sure what that means. I wouldn't advocate for any group of people to forget their history because it didn't happen to them in the present. If remembering where your ancestors come from is holding it against others, then why is July 4th such a celebrated holiday?

It just seems to me slavery brings up things people don't like to think about especially cause it happened on American soil.

Hold it against meaning that I don't hold anyone alive today responsible for something that happened to my ancestors a century and a half ago. I understand my history and respect my ancestors for what they went through, but the fact that someone else a few branches back on my family tree went through some terrible things doesn't give me any stake in it. Trying to co-opt their suffering to make some point over how terrible I have it today because I'm not as rich as I'd like to be would just be disrespectful to them.

To each their own, though. There are plenty of people of Irish descent who don't have a problem with that, and clearly there are people like Spikes who don't think it's an insult to their ancestors to compare 'only' making millions of dollars to the life of slavery that they went through. I think he and anyone like him is a dip**** for making that comparison, but clearly his standards are different.

Spikes was an idiot for the entire time he was here, and made/said a ton of stupid things that showed his incredible lack of maturity. I can't honestly believe that so many people have stuck up for him because he "hits hard and brings a physical presence to the defense."

I'd be interested in hearing Belichick's thoughts on how many of his prospects would need to have those traits to come here. My guess is that it would be 100%.

Unfortunately, we haven't had many who are that physical (when he guessed right), so he stuck out tremendously in that regard.

Spikes was an idiot for the entire time he was here, and made/said a ton of stupid things that showed his incredible lack of maturity. I can't honestly believe that so many people have stuck up for him because he "hits hard and brings a physical presence to the defense."

I'd be interested in hearing Belichick's thoughts on how many of his prospects would need to have those traits to come here. My guess is that it would be 100%.

Unfortunately, we haven't had many who are that physical (when he guessed right), so he stuck out tremendously in that regard.

And I don't care what anyone else says, I still believe that Belichick had grown tired of his crap, and that the choice to go out and take pictures of the snow rather than actually attempt to shovel it or make other arrangements (like the rest of the team) had something to do with him playing his last game a couple of weeks early.

Again it doesn't matter at all if anyone had anything to do with it(which in black people's case isn't true Jim Crow was not that long ago) or if you yourself suffered. Someone did and it's worth learning about.

There is a Forbes article on how the median net worth of white households is now 20 times that of black households. Homes in black neighborhoods don't appreciate in value like white neighborhoods. It's not about class there was a study in 2001 by brookings institute that when wealthy and poor minority neighborhoods were compared white homes were still valued 18% higher.

There is info like that all over the place. This is the aftermath of starting off on such an unleveled playing field. I would wager the average white American has no black friends and interacts with none at all in their daily lives but yet the assumptions are amazing of how dangerous and scary we are.

"Those that are ignorant of the past are doomed to repeat it"

I get a kick out of these NFL players who compare their situation to slavery. Slavery NEVER would have ended if they made NFL league minimum - never the other HUGE salaries. Oh, and slaves did not have union representation or the ability to sue the owners or league. What a TOTAL dumbass comparison.

Again it doesn't matter at all if anyone had anything to do with it(which in black people's case isn't true Jim Crow was not that long ago) or if you yourself suffered. Someone did and it's worth learning about.

There is a Forbes article on how the median net worth of white households is now 20 times that of black households. Homes in black neighborhoods don't appreciate in value like white neighborhoods. It's not about class there was a study in 2001 by brookings institute that when wealthy and poor minority neighborhoods were compared white homes were still valued 18% higher.

There is info like that all over the place. This is the aftermath of starting off on such an unleveled playing field. I would wager the average white American has no black friends and interacts with none at all in their daily lives but yet the assumptions are amazing of how dangerous and scary we are.

"Those that are ignorant of the past are doomed to repeat it"

What does any of what you're posting have to do with Spikes and his tweet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News