PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes pokes the bear

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know, come to think of it...I don't have any Eskimo friends...but I heard they got some swell whorehouses outside Anchorage...lemme see, there's Tumuc's Pigloo and Palluqtuq's Frozen Tartery...look for the flashing neon "Fresh Fish!" signs...and remember, always wear a Trojan brand walrus skin condom, scented in musk with a touch of tusk...:bolt:

Walrus skin condoms sounds like a good idea because -while I'm just repeating rumors here -I've been told that Eskimo ..er.. is mighty cold! ;)

No, it doesn't, and people use the word "slave" in a non-100% serious and/or literal sense all the time (slave over hot stove, slave to fashion, "I'm not your slave", wage slave, etc...). you are reaching for reasons to make his comment seem bad. It wasn't. It was fine. Frankly, anyone who got offended by it should probably seek professional help for oversensitivity.

slave away - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Urban Dictionary: corporate slave

Wage slave | Define Wage slave at Dictionary.com
For someone who presents himself as a know it all, captain 100% right all of the time, you would think you would understand denotation and connotation.

Spikes made a stupid attempt at humor likening his situation to a topic he knows will incite debate given the recency of the film. Spikes has a history of tweeting and saying dumb things. When you combine these factors, the implication appears obvious.

I'm not offended by Spikes' tweet because I did not take it seriously given the poor attempt at humor. What's silly is the insistence of those telling others what they should think because their value systems differ.

However you chose to interpret Spike's slave comments or dissect the meaning of the word "slave" -it is undeniable that however literal or rhetorical he used it, his intent was to complain about how hard he had it for the last four years.

He did this while making more money than I'm guessing, 99.9% of the posters here have in the same period. (I'm just going to go out on a limb and assert that fewer than 1 out of a 1000 posters here are actual multi-millionaires) and he probably made more money during the four years he's complaining about than many of us will see in our entire lifetimes.

He also probably enjoyed more time off and free time than oh.. 95% of the posters here.

So it's not that Spikes is literally comparing himself to a slave that some people are taking offense to, but the temerity of *****ing about having a life that is (financially at least) better than 99.9% of what the rest of us are experiencing or ever will experience.

And he is living a life that we can only DREAM of having. Complaining about it to the Tweeterverse is not in the best of taste, slave references not withstanding.

Oh and..

c3d4918220b8b60fd9a617bae2017aa1e0eaff2de0d161b58977f961ef4550bd.jpg

Don't know what you've got till its gone. He'll be ******* miserable in that ****hole Buffalo. New England will seem like paradise. Oh poor you Spikes, the living hell you went through :rolleyes:

More like "4 years a liability in pass coverage."

If nothing else this guy is entertaining. I hope he keeps tweeting. I enjoyed his run stuffing ability and big hits but not as much as I'm going to enjoy his pass coverage against the Patriots. Oh, you think Brady is going to let him off the field on 3rd down? Ummm not without Buffalo taking a timeout. Hurry up all the way and exploit him for the poor pass defender he is.

I take no offense to his tweeting. Actually I find them pretty funny to read. I find it even more funny how fans can get all worked up about this guy.

No, it doesn't, and people use the word "slave" in a non-100% serious and/or literal sense all the time (slave over hot stove, slave to fashion, "I'm not your slave", wage slave, etc...). you are reaching for reasons to make his comment seem bad. It wasn't. It was fine. Frankly, anyone who got offended by it should probably seek professional help for oversensitivity.

One would assume that most people in today's day and age would be socially sensitive/socially aware enough to avoid comparing their high paying "job" of playing football to that of anything involving slavery.

How, exactly was Spikes a "slave" while at New England? Was it because he was paid handsomely to perform his job, keep his focus on the team, avoid getting suspended, and expected to show up to practice with everyone else?

Boy, I sure feel sorry for the horrible plight that he went through. :rolleyes:

You make a fine point that the term is used in other ways, but in this case he was obviously comparing it to the recent movie. As far as people being overly sensitive today, I agree with you. That said, his comments didn't draw the focus of the sportsworld across the country today for no good reason. It's currently the leading topic on both major forms of social media, so the way that I feel about it being "obviously stupid" are not in the minority.

I dont disagree with the thrust of your argument (in fact I agree with most of it) in a philosophical send but I think you're looking for too much nuance in what was a cheap Twitter punchline

I don't mean to look too much into it myself per se.

I am simply stating that I can definitely see why some would be offended.

On top of that, I find it hard to defend the comment as lacking obvious stupidity, but respect the fact that everyone sees things differently.

We have one hell of a track record to base Spikes' stupid comments off of, so to me this just seems like one more.

Spikes made a stupid attempt at humor likening his situation to a topic he knows will incite debate given the recency of the film. Spikes has a history of tweeting and saying dumb things. When you combine these factors, the implication appears obvious.

I'm not offended by Spikes' tweet because I did not take it seriously given the poor attempt at humor. What's silly is the insistence of those telling others what they should think because their value systems differ.

Yes, Aus. Pretty much my only point. Spikes has made a ton of idiotic statements in the past 4 yrs. To me, this sure seems to be one more. Obviously he expected some to be offened, although maybe not...maybe he's really just that dumb.

Again--it's America, so I respect the right that everyone has to feel differently.

Either way you look at it, it doesn't show good judgment. Another example of choosing to keep your mouth shut when in doubt.

Also claimed to block "every Mass--hole" on his twitter account as well.

I honestly feel sorry for those who haven't seen the writing on the wall with this guy for quite some time, even though they are few and far between.

He was a good run stopper when he guessed right. That's about it.

Don't know what you've got till its gone. He'll be ******* miserable in that ****hole Buffalo. New England will seem like paradise. Oh poor you Spikes, the living hell you went through :rolleyes:

Remember the interview with Lawyer Milloy and Sam Gash talking about how it was like a family playing in Buffalo and how it sucked playing for New England? How did that work out for them?

Also claimed to block "every Mass--hole" on his twitter account as well.

I honestly feel sorry for those who haven't seen the writing on the wall with this guy for quite some time, even though they are few and far between.

He was a good run stopper when he guessed right. That's about it.

Spikes was always immature off the field. I didn't really care when he was a Patriot as long as he kept his nose clean and certainly don't care now.

I thought he came off like an idiot today on Twitter, but this isn't the first time that has happened.

The civil rights movement was 50 years ago. There are people alive today who fought for and against equality. My grandmother went to rally's in NYC. That's one generation.

All that is a result of slavery. If blacks were equal from the get go than that's not the case. When it all ended, They didn't get on a boat and cross the ocean for a new life they moved down the road and were tormented.

But again there are things happening today that are a clear result of the genesis of blacks in this country. Namely the demonizing of black youth.

By "genesis of blacks in this country", are you saying that all racial issues are the result of blacks coming to the country as slaves? "Demonizing of black youth" - is this universal? Do you think all whites see Ivy League educated black youth in the same way they see gangster wanna be tatted up thug acting black youth? There may be whites who see these as the same, but I think there are many who don't. Clearly, the fact that a black man is the President should be evidence that progress has been made. The civil rights movement was supported by many whites, and wouldn't have been successful without many white politicians supporting laws against racial discrimination.

Your bias is showing. There was nothing "ridiculously stupid" about his comment.
Playing the race/slave card when you're a millionaire athlete is ridiculously stupid, period.

Your getting mad about something and don't even understand why.

The average while male in America lives in a rural area. The average rural area is devoid of diversity. I'm not saying the average white male doesn't have black friends because they choose too, it's because there are little to no blacks where they live. I have met more than a few whites through work who come from small suburban towns that have almost no black residents.
Bullcrap. There are ridiculously few pockets of this country with "almost no black residents." The average white male lives in either an urban or suburban area, and interacts with African-Americans on a daily basis.

Yeah I'm sure there are some farmers in Kansas who don't see a lot of black people, but it is ridiculous to say the "average white male lives in a rural area."

Do you really believe your own bull*****? When someone references a movie about forced slavery of black people in America, they are not using the word the same way someone would if they said they "slaved over a hot stove".

All the rest of your post is definitions of phrases that Spikes did not say so it is beyond worthless. If he said "corporate slave" or "slave wages" you might have a point. But he didn't. What he did was reference a specific movie about slavery in America and the titles "12 Years A Slave" is clearly, 100% a reference to the slavery of black people, not a bunch of wage slaves in corporate America.

Bad metaphor, big deal, he isn't a writer although eh plays one on twitter. Spike is having fun, i have no problem with it and i will buy him a blunt if he is right and the bills hang 2 L's on the Patriots this season, or any other for that matter.

Slavery Discussion Forum is under repair, in the meantime please take it to the Practice Squad Forum.

One would assume that most people in today's day and age would be socially sensitive/socially aware enough to avoid comparing their high paying "job" of playing football to that of anything involving slavery.

One would be a fool to do so. First, there's nothing sensitive about it. There's a difference between offending people and offensive oversensitive people. Second, anyone can Google just back to contract negotiations in various sports to see the accusations about "plantations" and the like. Your use of class warfare (pointing out the money as a means of isolating Spikes) actually makes your position more 'offensive' than Spikes'.

How, exactly was Spikes a "slave" while at New England? Was it because he was paid handsomely to perform his job, keep his focus on the team, avoid getting suspended, and expected to show up to practice with everyone else?

Boy, I sure feel sorry for the horrible plight that he went through. :rolleyes:

The moment you wrote this, you should have realized you were just letting your anti-Spikes position get the best of you. We all remember the Welker incident. We all know the stories about how the Patriots clamp down on their players. We know it because the players have told us, nevermind because of media reports.

You make a fine point that the term is used in other ways, but in this case he was obviously comparing it to the recent movie. As far as people being overly sensitive today, I agree with you. That said, his comments didn't draw the focus of the sportsworld across the country today for no good reason. It's currently the leading topic on both major forms of social media, so the way that I feel about it being "obviously stupid" are not in the minority.

Yes, they did draw the focus of the sportsworld media across the country for no good reason. That's what the media does, as people here have pointed out time and again, when the media's done it about something the Patriots have done/said.

By "genesis of blacks in this country", are you saying that all racial issues are the result of blacks coming to the country as slaves? "Demonizing of black youth" - is this universal? Do you think all whites see Ivy League educated black youth in the same way they see gangster wanna be tatted up thug acting black youth? There may be whites who see these as the same, but I think there are many who don't. Clearly, the fact that a black man is the President should be evidence that progress has been made. The civil rights movement was supported by many whites, and wouldn't have been successful without many white politicians supporting laws against racial discrimination.

I think anyone responding should PM me at this point cause it's not a short answer either way and I don't wanna derail the thread.

Yes, blacks coming into America as slaves, set us up for a uphill battle to put it mildly. Socially, psychologically, economically etc. IMO.

As far as Ivy League, Henry Gates is Exhibit A. He is as black Ivy League as it gets and that still didn't keep him from being profiled. And why should you have to be an
Educated upper echelon black male to be considered safe anyway? The Trayvon Martin situation really opened my eyes personally not even due to the verdict but just the comments and opinions of Americans that shared them at the time. NYPD fighting for the right to illegally profile men of color right now in a metropolitan city, because we are viewed as dangerous.

I read ALOT of forums and comments and the consensus was trayvon was thuggin. Black + hoodie= dangerous. Whether he was or not isn't relevant really, because that couldn't have been known at the time. I believe personally, that is the general consensus of suburban American whites. That doesn't make you consciously racist if you:

1) don't know many black people

2) watch the news

But the hoodie thing is ridiculous mainly cause the hoodie is apart of Americana really. Every american man under 30 probably has one in his closet. What mall in this country doesn't sell them? I have seen shows discussing is that actually blamed that it happened on him wearing one. Silly.

Your 100% correct. Without white support the civil rights movement doesn't happen. Period. No matter how good those MLK sermons, sit-ins & speeches were. I disagree tho that Obama is the reason blacks should be happy with the current climate. Lots more work to be done, Obama IMO was opportunity meeting good timing. He was perfect as far as candidates go and his competition was lacking to put it mildly. But it was nice, Wish my father was alive to see it.

Racism isn't always a conscious decision. Some of us black and white are victims of media bias, From what we see in our environment etc. if I never met or had an actual relationship with a white person and every time I turned on TV i saw white people doing crazy shyt I would prob not wanna be around white people. Makes sense.

here...I got a spare in the other room....

The-Boondocks-Soapbox-5-540x360.jpg

One would be a fool to do so. First, there's nothing sensitive about it. There's a difference between offending people and offensive oversensitive people. Second, anyone can Google just back to contract negotiations in various sports to see the accusations about "plantations" and the like. Your use of class warfare (pointing out the money as a means of isolating Spikes) actually makes your position more 'offensive' than Spikes'.

The moment you wrote this, you should have realized you were just letting your anti-Spikes position get the best of you. We all remember the Welker incident. We all know the stories about how the Patriots clamp down on their players. We know it because the players have told us, nevermind because of media reports.

Yes, they did draw the focus of the sportsworld media across the country for no good reason. That's what the media does, as people here have pointed out time and again, when the media's done it about something the Patriots have done/said.

Not sure what to say, Deus. I think you already know that I respect your opinion, not to mention everyone's right to their own opinion, so I'm not sure that there's any right/wrong here as you are insinuating.

You are the one who seems to be in the minority with the thoughts though, not me....so to suggest that I'm so far off base that you're practically appalled seems odd. As I said, both major social media outlets (not the sportswriters as you suggest) have seen tens/hundreds of thousands of comments on the matter, with the high majority feeling as though they were ridiculously stupid.

At any rate, it's nothing more than a difference of how we see things, so there's not much use in beating a dead horse :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back