PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes pokes the bear

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's lovely.

Those guys 'beathing the fresher air' went from Super Bowl to 10-6 to 9-7 to 8-8.

Put some frikkin smokestalks in the lockerroom.
..... and obviously, on this rare occasion, you seemed to have missed the point, Shmess

The civil rights movement was 50 years ago. There are people alive today who fought for and against equality. My grandmother went to rally's in NYC. That's one generation.

Thanks. I'm glad my wife's and my efforts in the 60s are appreciated.

1.5M+

Philadelphia is one of the largest cities in America, so of course it's diverse, like I said a larger city would be, it's also extremely segregated outside of south philly/center city. West philly for instance, (not including college campuses of Drexel, St. Joes, Penn) is like 90% black. If you include them, it's prob around 80% The only white people I ever saw growing up were teachers unless I went outside the neighborhood, and I never knew a Latino personally until HS.(north philly has more of a black/Latino mix)Philly is still only one city, the entire state of PA is made up of small towns. Do that for every state besides Hawaii, and it adds up.
But that isn't the point. If the major population centers are diverse, then your comment:
I would wager the average white American has no black friends and interacts with none at all in their daily lives but yet the assumptions are amazing of how dangerous and scary we are.
is simply wrong.
In New York, over 2/3 of the popluation is in NYC and Long Island. There are very few people scattered throughout the state who do not interact with minorities on a consistent basis.

I don't agree EVERY white Philadelphian interacts with black people on the reg, due in part to the large concentration of races in certain areas.There are still neighborhoods where black/white people don't move into and vice versa. Fishtown would be an example. It's like a small town within the city. Everyone knows everyone and the families have been there their whole lives. Super tight knit. The same can be said for some black areas, Latino etc. philly isn't the melting pot NYC is. It's really sectioned off IMO.

People leave their houses.

13% of the American population is African American. The 'average white guy' interacts with much closer to 13% African Americans than 'never interact'.
The area I live in is 4.6% African American, and I interact with African-Americans on almost a daily basis.
There is no doubt that racial populations are clustered, but you are way off with you claims about what white people are exposed to.

But that isn't the point. If the major population centers are diverse, then your comment:

is simply wrong.

In New York, over 2/3 of the popluation is in NYC and Long Island. There are very few people scattered throughout the state who do not interact with minorities on a consistent basis.

13% of the American population is African American. The 'average white guy' interacts with much closer to 13% African Americans than 'never interact'.

The area I live in is 4.6% African American, and I interact with African-Americans on almost a daily basis.

There is no doubt that racial populations are clustered, but you are way off with you claims about what white people are exposed to.

Of course people do, in their own communities for the most part. Your not gonna join a rec league in an area outside of where you live. Almost everything you do outside of work probably takes place in the vicinity of where you reside.

Basic Interactions and cultivating friendships are different. I specifically said not the black people you see in transit. The black guy that waited on you @ Walgreens isn't your friend, you don't "know" him.

I don't think I'm that far off when I say there are a larger percentage of white American men who have never had a black man in their home, had a beer and shot the breeze, went to a sporting event with, had them over for dinner etc. essentially they don't have black friends.

I didn't mean they never laid eyes on a black person, that would be ridiculous unless they are really off the grid and never go anywhere.

is simply wrong.

Just because you live in one doesn't guarantee you take advantage. But statistically they are diverse places. If you examine them by neighborhood you will find the segregation I touched on. That's a real thing.

NY is one example, also The NYC metro area is one the largest in the world, there is nothing average about it, so that is by definition one of the most diverse examples you could use. Every other state surrounding it makes my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grux View Post
Well, there should be no more questions about why he wasn't on the playoff roster or be a part of this years team. It seems tweeting is more important than winning football games.

What NFL game did he skip to make these tweets?

I never said he missed games due to tweeting (please read my original post). I said he would rather tweet than win football games.

I think this because:

1. He tweeted a picture of his car stuck in his driveway after a snow storm. A player committed to winning would have been at the stadium. Not posting pictures to twitter.

2. It was reported by various sources that he was left off the playoff roster because he was late to practice etc.

3. I think his slave comment is him saying that the pats are to strict and controlling. The focus in New England is on winning. Brandon obviously didn't like the Patriot way and wanted to attract attention to himself. Obviously Buffalo doesn't care based on his recent tweets.

4. The pats made zero effort to keep him on the team. The pats don't let players committed to winning leave so easily.

I think Brandon enjoys football but isn't 100% committed to his craft. He wants to speak his mind and tweet, which will draw attention to himself. BB doesn't care if his players tweet but I am sure they aren't allowed to post whatever they want. If Brandon's focus was more on football and less on twitter, etc he might still be on the team.

I think that total inability in pass coverage has the most to do with his departure.
NFL 21st century has become SUCH a passing league.

Percentage is the white population.

West Pittston, Pennsylvania (99.2%, pop. 5,072)
Swoyersville, Pennsylvania (99.1%, pop. 5,157)
Old Forge, Pennsylvania (98.8%, pop. 8,798)
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania (98.6%, pop. 10,955)
St. Marys, Pennsylvania (98.6%, pop. 14,502)
Sugarcreek, Pennsylvania (98.6%, pop. 5,331)
Latrobe, Pennsylvania (98.5%, pop. 8,994)
Tyrone, Pennsylvania (98.5%, pop. 5,528)
Kennedy Township, Pennsylvania (98.4%, pop. 7,504)
Shamokin, Pennsylvania (98.4%, pop. 8,009)
Archbald, Pennsylvania (98.3%, pop. 6,220)

It goes on, and on and on......
You may not realize it, but you're doing a better job supporting my point than you are supporting yours.

All those towns you just listed have a combined population of under 100,000. In Philly alone, there are over half a million white people - and that doesn't even include the suburbs.

So how is it that "the average white person" lives in a rural area not interacting with any black people?

You may not realize it, but you're doing a better job supporting my point than you are supporting yours.

All those towns you just listed have a combined population of under 100,000. In Philly alone, there are over half a million white people - and that doesn't even include the suburbs.

So how is it that "the average white person" lives in a rural area not interacting with any black people?

Because there are hundreds upon hundreds, upon hundreds of towns, boroughs, villages etc. like that across the country. They are smaller populations, true but that adds up and the populations aren't always so low they are just a few.

In 2000, more than half the country's population was made up of people living in "rural areas" of under 25K. If you look at these small towns outside of big cities than the numbers are skewed because they would qualify as "metro area" but it's just more of the same. Very little diversity.

As an aside, Philly has 1.5M people not white people. Blacks actually outnumber whites in Philadelphia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grux View Post
Well, there should be no more questions about why he wasn't on the playoff roster or be a part of this years team. It seems tweeting is more important than winning football games.

I never said he missed games due to tweeting (please read my original post). I said he would rather tweet than win football games.

I think this because:

1. He tweeted a picture of his car stuck in his driveway after a snow storm. A player committed to winning would have been at the stadium. Not posting pictures to twitter.

2. It was reported by various sources that he was left off the playoff roster because he was late to practice etc.

3. I think his slave comment is him saying that the pats are to strict and controlling. The focus in New England is on winning. Brandon obviously didn't like the Patriot way and wanted to attract attention to himself. Obviously Buffalo doesn't care based on his recent tweets.

4. The pats made zero effort to keep him on the team. The pats don't let players committed to winning leave so easily.

I think Brandon enjoys football but isn't 100% committed to his craft. He wants to speak his mind and tweet, which will draw attention to himself. BB doesn't care if his players tweet but I am sure they aren't allowed to post whatever they want. If Brandon's focus was more on football and less on twitter, etc he might still be on the team.

So you were just talking nonsense, then. Got it.

Of course people do, in their own communities for the most part. Your not gonna join a rec league in an area outside of where you live. Almost everything you do outside of work probably takes place in the vicinity of where you reside.
Interacting with people of other races takes many forms, not just a rec league. Many people work and reside in different areas, and spend time in both.

Basic Interactions and cultivating friendships are different. I specifically said not the black people you see in transit. The black guy that waited on you @ Walgreens isn't your friend, you don't "know" him.
This is 100% inconsistent with your claim and irrelevant to the discussion.

I don't think I'm that far off when I say there are a larger percentage of white American men who have never had a black man in their home, had a beer and shot the breeze, went to a sporting event with, had them over for dinner etc. essentially they don't have black friends.
And I think you are way, way off.

I didn't mean they never laid eyes on a black person, that would be ridiculous unless they are really off the grid and never go anywhere.
Are you changing your position now?

Because there are hundreds upon hundreds, upon hundreds of towns, boroughs, villages etc. like that across the country. They are smaller populations, true but that adds up and the populations aren't always so low they are just a few.

In 2000, more than half the country's population was made up of people living in "rural areas" of under 25K. If you look at these small towns outside of big cities than the numbers are skewed because they would qualify as "metro area" but it's just more of the same. Very little diversity.

As an aside, Philly has 1.5M people not white people. Blacks actually outnumber whites in Philadelphia.

You are simply not correct on this.

Interacting with people of other races takes many forms, not just a rec league. Many people work and reside in different areas, and spend time in both.

This is 100% inconsistent with your claim and irrelevant to the discussion.

And I think you are way, way off.

Are you changing your position now?

Absolutely not changing my position. Seeing a black person in passing isn't "knowing a black person"

Work/college is the number 1 way a person from an area lacking diversity would meet someone.

My post to SB39 stated: the people I know admitted they had not known any black people until college, and I work with them so i would say that's accurate.

The rec league was just an example. Outside of work typically recreational activities take place in the area your from/reside. Changing the example wouldn't change the underlying point.

Just because you live in one doesn't guarantee you take advantage. But statistically they are diverse places. If you examine them by neighborhood you will find the segregation I touched on. That's a real thing.

NY is one example, also The NYC metro area is one the largest in the world, there is nothing average about it, so that is by definition one of the most diverse examples you could use. Every other state surrounding it makes my point.

No it doesn't make your point. You seem to want to argue that there is more acreage that is not diverse and make that mean the majority of people live in an area that isn't diverse.

1/3 of the entire US Population lives in the 10 largest MSAs. Over half is in the 25 largest. Your statistic about half the population being in small rural areas is just wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_primary_statistical_areas_of_the_United_States

Absolutely not changing my position. Seeing a black person in passing isn't "knowing a black person"
That wasnt your position. You are moving the goal posts.
This is what you said

I would wager the average white American has no black friends and interacts with none at all in their daily lives but yet the assumptions are amazing of how dangerous and scary we are.

Work/college is the number 1 way a person from an area lacking diversity would meet someone.
And less that 'most white people' live in areas lacking diversity and most of them go to college and/or work.

My post to SB39 stated: the people I know admitted they had not known any black people until college, and I work with them so i would say that's accurate.
First, you cannot use anectodal examples of people you know with no sceintific method of tabulation as proof of 'the average white guy' and second you are now admitting they knew black people in college so they blow up your claim.

The rec league was just an example. Outside of work typically recreational activities take place in the area your from/reside. Changing the example wouldn't change the underlying point.
Right, they live in a culturally and racially diverse city, so they are expose to diversity. How could you possibly be arguing the converse based on that fact?

No it doesn't make your point. You seem to want to argue that there is more acreage that is not diverse and make that mean the majority of people live in an area that isn't diverse.

1/3 of the entire US Population lives in the 10 largest MSAs. Over half is in the 25 largest. Your statistic about half the population being in small rural areas is just wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_primary_statistical_areas_of_the_United_States

No I'm not. The number defining rural in that instance was under 25K.

Flourtown, PA is 20 minutes outside philly. It would be considered in the metro area it's 89.5% white. Almost every town outside philly is that way and they aren't considered rural by your definition, but it doesn't change the facts. It's just semantics.

Pennsylvania has 12M+ people. Philly is it's largest city @ 1.5M and it's only 36% white. More white people live in small towns in PA than in its 1 large city on average, the majority of those towns are not diverse.

No I'm not. The number defining rural in that instance was under 25K.

Flourtown, PA is 20 minutes outside philly. It would be considered in the metro area it's 89.5% white. Almost every town outside philly is that way and they aren't considered rural by your definition, but it doesn't change the facts. It's just semantics.
That is why its a Metro area. People living 20 minutes outside a major city largely work in that major city. To base your criteria on town lines rather than the reality of the area is ludicrous. Nothing 20 minutes from Philadelphia is rural.

Pennsylvania has 12M+ people. Philly is it's largest city @ 1.5M and it's only 36% white. More white people live in small towns in PA than in its 1 large city on average, the majority of those towns are not diverse.

Philly metro area has over 7 million residents, and the Pittsburgh metro area has almost 3 mill. THAT is the majority of the population of Pennsylvania.

That wasnt your position. You are moving the goal posts.

This is what you said

And less that 'most white people' live in areas lacking diversity and most of them go to college and/or work.

First, you cannot use anectodal examples of people you know with no sceintific method of tabulation as proof of 'the average white guy' and second you are now admitting they knew black people in college so they blow up your claim.

Right, they live in a culturally and racially diverse city, so they are expose to diversity. How could you possibly be arguing the converse based on that fact?

Semantics. What I meant, which I have clarified, is my point. I don't think I know the dude who handed me my change @ Wendy's. We aren't friends.

The white people from those towns who don't go to college, stay in their town and go to work in said town will likely have no black friends. There are black people from my neighborhood I would be willing to bet good money have zero white friends, because they didn't attend college and stayed in their community circles.

I grew up in a very black area of west philly there was 1 white family. So 1 white kid in summer league, none in my class and none @ church. Went to an all black/Latino HS in North Philly as well. Is it preposterous to not have a white friend growing up in that environment? Not at all, not sure why your making the case that it is. Didn't have a white friend till i was working age. I grew up in a diverse city overall, but my neighborhood was not, my school was not. A lot of kids/people stick to the community they are from, Seems very reasonable. Fishtown is in philly I will ask some lifelong fishtowners how many black kids they grew up with, I already know what the answer will be.... Little to none.

How is it anecdotal? This is a white co-worker who comes from a small predominantly white Jersey town, in which they had zero black friends. They went to Temple for school and met their 1st black friend there. You really think that's an anomaly? I didn't say he never saw a black person before.

Semantics. What I meant, which I have clarified, is my point. I don't think I know the dude who handed me my change @ Wendy's. We aren't friends.
Semantics?
You said the average white guy has no black friends and does not interact with black people on a daily basis.
It seems that we now agree that he does interact with black people on a daily basis and your argument is whether white people generally have black friends. How do you propose to prove or disprove that?

The white people from those towns who don't go to college, stay in their town and go to work in said town will likely have no black friends.
We are down to a miniscule proportion of the population and just your claim that you think they won't have black friends.

There are black people from my neighborhood I would be willing to bet good money have zero white friends, because they didn't attend college and stayed in their community circles.
This is irrelevant to the point, which was that the average white person has no black friends and does not interact with black people on a regular basis.
I took exception to that comment, not to the totality of your opinions on race relations. If you expand the discussion to throw in something I don't disagree with it doesn't make your original point correct.

I grew up in a very black area of west philly there was 1 white family. So 1 white kid in summer league, none in my class and none @ church. Went to an all black/Latino HS in North Philly as well. Is it preposterous to not have a white friend growing up in that environment? Not at all, not sure why your making the case that it is.
See above, you are moving the goalposts. I find it very normal that in that environment you had no white friends but I still have no idea how that fact is pertinent to demonstrating how the average white guy has no black friends and doesn't interact with black people on a consistent basis.

Didn't have a white friend till i was working age. I grew up in a diverse city overall, but my neighborhood was not, my school was not. A lot of kids/people stick to the community they are from, Seems very reasonable. Fishtown is in philly I will ask some lifelong fishtowners how many black kids they grew up with, I already know what the answer will be.... Little to none.
Once again, people are not limited to only having friends that grew up in their neighborhood, and even if that were the case, the majority of white guys do not grow up in 100% white neighborhoods.

How is it anecdotal? This is a white co-worker who comes from a small predominantly white Jersey town, in which they had zero black friends.
Do you know what anecdotal means? This is the definition. A single example that you are using to try to prove a trend over an entire society. I live in a town that is 95% white and my girlfriends daughter dates a black guy. So have I now proven by that example that all of America is ensconced in interracial dating?

They went to Temple for school and met their 1st black friend there. You really think that's an anomaly? I didn't say he never saw a black person before.
You just eliminated him as an example to prove your case because he has black friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes