PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Spikes pokes the bear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullcrap. There are ridiculously few pockets of this country with "almost no black residents." The average white male lives in either an urban or suburban area, and interacts with African-Americans on a daily basis.

Yeah I'm sure there are some farmers in Kansas who don't see a lot of black people, but it is ridiculous to say the "average white male lives in a rural area."

Not true man, there are towns in south NJ with little to no black residents. I **** you not. I have met MULTIPLE people that have told me they didn't know a black person until they were college age.

There are towns in South jersey, PA you would think you were in North Dakota. Big beards, fatigues, atv's the whole duck dynasty experience.

There is FAR more rural land in this country than Metro. Even close to metro areas you have these towns where the population stays low and people live their entire lives in one house pass it on etc and hardly no one moves there.

here...I got a spare in the other room....

The-Boondocks-Soapbox-5-540x360.jpg

Hey, you and I share alumni status with MLK JR.

Pay attention to his comments ;)

(I think you know I'm just kidding)

For someone who presents himself as a know it all, captain 100% right all of the time, you would think you would understand denotation and connotation.

Spikes made a stupid attempt at humor likening his situation to a topic he knows will incite debate given the recency of the film. Spikes has a history of tweeting and saying dumb things. When you combine these factors, the implication appears obvious.

I'm not offended by Spikes' tweet because I did not take it seriously given the poor attempt at humor. What's silly is the insistence of those telling others what they should think because their value systems differ.

Not to mention it is stupid to cite other uses of the word when it's clear which meaning he meant.
People defending an immature comment just to find something to disagree with are looking foolish.

Not true man, there are towns in south NJ with little to no black residents. I **** you not. I have met MULTIPLE people that have told me they didn't know a black person until they were college age.

There are towns in South jersey, PA you would think you were in North Dakota. Big beards, fatigues, atv's the whole duck dynasty experience.

There is FAR more rural land in this country than Metro. Even close to metro areas you have these towns where the population stays low and people live their entire lives in one house pass it on etc and hardly no one moves there.

This is a truly uninformed view

Oh really? Could you please name a few?
You seem to think population density is the same everywhere. You're absolutely right: There is far more rural land than metro. But you are mistaken if you think there are far more people living in rural lands than in metro and/or suburban areas.

Sorry, but it is ridiculous to suggest the "average white person" lives on rural land and doesn't interact with African-Americans on a regular basis. I grew up in ultra-rural NH, and still knew a few black kids at school.

Some comments on the comments:

1. For the great majority of his time here, the Pats got decent value for their investment in Brandon Spikes. He was a good run stopper who added physicality to a defense that didn't have much

2. But he was obviously a limited player in an league where his strengths were being devalued by the emphasis in the passing game.

3. The fact is that playing for the Pats really ISN'T for everyone. The Pats have acknowledged this many times over the years. That doesn't make you a bad person. To thrive as a Patriot, you have to have a monomaniacal focus, love of the game, and are willing to sublimate yourself completely to the team. In other words, the people who do their best here are the smart grinders.

Players who see themselves as unique personalities, or are media self promoters, or feel the need to put themselves before the team with the media, are players who aren't going to be happy here long term. Again that doesn't make them bad people.

4. As for his remark about looking forward to beating the Pats twice next season, I can only say good for him. That's what a highly competitive guy SHOULD say. Pats fans should respect that.

5. As for the "4 years a slave" comment, I'd agree that was over the line....but not by that much. Leaving a restrictive organization like the Pats for someone of Spikes questionable maturity and personality is probably a relief. I get that. But I also know that as he matures and experiences other organizations, he will look back on his time with the Pats much more fondly.

6. I clearly remember all the Pats players saying what a breath of fresh air Pete Carrol was after the dominating presence of Bill Parcells.

7. As for the questions about how far we've come (or not) in race relations, I can only look at it from the perspective of someone who lived in the Franklin Field Projects in Dorchester, grew up in the 50's and 60's, didn't teach a white kid until busing in the 70's, and watched segregation die, voting rights expand, and thousands of examples of anger, frustration, and righteous indignation that have marked this issue for the 60 odd years I've witnessed it.

But the fact is THIS is a topic that is far more complex and intricate than is possible to discuss in this format, so my own personal wisdom on the subject will remain mine....at least on this thread. ;)

You seem to think population density is the same everywhere. You're absolutely right: There is far more rural land than metro. But you are mistaken if you think there are far more people living in rural lands than in metro and/or suburban areas.

Sorry, but it is ridiculous to suggest the "average white person" lives on rural land and doesn't interact with African-Americans on a regular basis. I grew up in ultra-rural NH, and still knew a few black kids at school.

Rural as well as suburban sure, also your from NH one of the 5 whitest states in the entire country @ 1.2% African-American, the average is 13% for the 2012 Census.

I don't think more people live in rural areas, just that more rural area exist. But I would say the same for "suburbia" as well. Even if you yourself knew a "few blacks" the average NH resident especially, doesn't. 1.2% bro. That's right up there with Maine, Vermont and the Dakotas. Your the exception not the rule.

Rural as well as suburban sure, also your from NH one of the 5 whitest states in the entire country @ 1.2% African-American, the average is 13% for the 2012 Census.
Exactly. I'm from a rural area in one of the whitest states but I still knew and was friends with some black people.
I don't think more people live in rural areas, just that more rural area exist.
Then why did you say "The average while male in America lives in a rural area."..?
But I would say the same for "suburbia" as well. Even if you yourself knew a "few blacks" the average NH resident especially, doesn't. 1.2% bro. That's right up there with Maine, Vermont and the Dakotas. Your the exception not the rule.
1.2% is 1 out of 83. That means the average graduating class will have a handful of black students. You can safely assume you run into a black people over the course of your daily routine, and believe it or not, you can live in one state but still interact with people from other states. There is certainly no shortage of people who live in rural NH but work in Massachusetts, so that throws the 1.2% figure right out the window.

This is a truly uninformed view

If only.

Philadelphia is a black city by definition, one of the blackest 44%+

Pennsylvania.... 83.5% white.

Pennsylvania only has 1 metropolitan city, unless you consider Pittsburgh, it's nothing but farmland and small towns. The same for virtually all states, and some have no "large" cities.

Diversity tends to take place in metro areas. It's not hard to understand that's blacks and Latino's don't live on farmland and countrysides. Outside of the large city, most will live in suburbs outside of the metro areas but considering the property values and taxes those areas tend to accompany, you see only the most successful minority Americans.

Exactly. I'm from a rural area in one of the whitest states but I still knew and was friends with some black people.

Then why did you say the average white person lives in a rural area?

1.2% is 1 out of 83. That means the average graduating class will have a handful of black students. You can safely assume you run into a black people over the course of your daily routine, and believe it or not, you can live in one state but still interact with people from other states. There is certainly no shortage of people who live in rural NH but work in Massachusetts, so that throws the 1.2% figure right out the window.

As an adult your saying? If you don't go to school with a black classmate when would a child or young adult
Interact with an African American from another state? Even in school there are people you don't know. I did say college age. Also your surrounding states aren't far behind.

What if 6 blacks go to the same school? 1.2% for the entire state populous. How many schools are in NH? Are you friends and interact with everyone in the school? Your state is one of the easiest to make the case for my point. I don't mean simply seeing a black person in transit. Odds are if a school has 3 black students they won't make friends with everyone. You could bet that some people would probably have never even met them or could barely recall they even knew them, And that's again, not the norm. I'm not calling you a liar, just that you had a couple black friends when usually the numbers are against it statewide.

In NH there are ABSOLUTELY white males who have never had a black friend. We are talking 96% white almost 20% above the U.S average which is still @ a healthy 77%+

Percentage is the white population.

West Pittston, Pennsylvania (99.2%, pop. 5,072)
Swoyersville, Pennsylvania (99.1%, pop. 5,157)
Old Forge, Pennsylvania (98.8%, pop. 8,798)
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania (98.6%, pop. 10,955)
St. Marys, Pennsylvania (98.6%, pop. 14,502)
Sugarcreek, Pennsylvania (98.6%, pop. 5,331)
Latrobe, Pennsylvania (98.5%, pop. 8,994)
Tyrone, Pennsylvania (98.5%, pop. 5,528)
Kennedy Township, Pennsylvania (98.4%, pop. 7,504)
Shamokin, Pennsylvania (98.4%, pop. 8,009)
Archbald, Pennsylvania (98.3%, pop. 6,220)

It goes on, and on and on......

Diversity tends to take place in metro areas. It's not hard to understand that's blacks and Latino's don't live on farmland and countrysides. Outside of the large city, most will live in suburbs outside of the metro areas but considering the property values and taxes those areas tend to accompany, you see only the most successful minority Americans.

I know many latinos that started in the city and worked their axxes off 6 and 7 days a week. Saved and bought land in the country. They drive trucks nicer than mine.

I know a Chinese man who started out with nothing here. He too worked hard. Today he owns 2 restaurants and a farm where he raises catfish and carp.

Nobody gave these folks anything. They worked hard to make a better life for themselves.

Players can trash talk all they want. Comes with the turf.
His real problem is that, for most fans, its a matter of "Brandon spikes? Isn't that against the rules?"

Do you really believe your own bull*****? When someone references a movie about forced slavery of black people in America, they are not using the word the same way someone would if they said they "slaved over a hot stove".

All the rest of your post is definitions of phrases that Spikes did not say so it is beyond worthless. If he said "corporate slave" or "slave wages" you might have a point. But he didn't. What he did was reference a specific movie about slavery in America and the titles "12 Years A Slave" is clearly, 100% a reference to the slavery of black people, not a bunch of wage slaves in corporate America.

I don't think Brandon Spikes puts that much thought into what he tweets, or thinks that his comments are going to be analyzed as political/social commentary.

I am with the crowd who thinks he's an idiot who can't help himself, he's having a little fun at the expense of the team that just dumped him (probably with some underlying bitterness) and he is probably going to look like even more of a fool after his two games vs. the Pats this season as they clearly know his weaknesses and will target him accordingly.

Percentage is the white population.

West Pittston, Pennsylvania (99.2%, pop. 5,072)
Swoyersville, Pennsylvania (99.1%, pop. 5,157)
Old Forge, Pennsylvania (98.8%, pop. 8,798)
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania (98.6%, pop. 10,955)
St. Marys, Pennsylvania (98.6%, pop. 14,502)
Sugarcreek, Pennsylvania (98.6%, pop. 5,331)
Latrobe, Pennsylvania (98.5%, pop. 8,994)
Tyrone, Pennsylvania (98.5%, pop. 5,528)
Kennedy Township, Pennsylvania (98.4%, pop. 7,504)
Shamokin, Pennsylvania (98.4%, pop. 8,009)
Archbald, Pennsylvania (98.3%, pop. 6,220)

It goes on, and on and on......

Just one of the many flaws in your position but you were talking about most white people. Listing small towns of 5000 people shows nothing. What is the population of Philadelphia where every white person interacts with black people?

6. I clearly remember all the Pats players saying what a breath of fresh air Pete Carrol was after the dominating presence of Bill Parcells.

Ironically, many of those same players felt Carroll was a joke two years later and were going "up the back steps to Bobbt Grier's office" to complain about Petey.

Just one of the many flaws in your position but you were talking about most white people. Listing small towns of 5000 people shows nothing. What is the population of Philadelphia where every white person interacts with black people?

1.5M+

Philadelphia is one of the largest cities in America, so of course it's diverse, like I said a larger city would be, it's also extremely segregated outside of south philly/center city. West philly for instance, (not including college campuses of Drexel, St. Joes, Penn) is like 90% black. If you include them, it's prob around 80% The only white people I ever saw growing up were teachers unless I went outside the neighborhood, and I never knew a Latino personally until HS.(north philly has more of a black/Latino mix)Philly is still only one city, the entire state of PA is made up of small towns. Do that for every state besides Hawaii, and it adds up.

I don't agree EVERY white Philadelphian interacts with black people on the reg, due in part to the large concentration of races in certain areas.There are still neighborhoods where black/white people don't move into and vice versa. Fishtown would be an example. It's like a small town within the city. Everyone knows everyone and the families have been there their whole lives. Super tight knit. The same can be said for some black areas, Latino etc. philly isn't the melting pot NYC is. It's really sectioned off IMO.

That's lovely.

Those guys 'beathing the fresher air' went from Super Bowl to 10-6 to 9-7 to 8-8.

Put some frikkin smokestalks in the lockerroom.

Ironically, many of those same players felt Carroll was a joke two years later and were going "up the back steps to Bobbt Grier's office" to complain about Petey.
....and congratulations. You got the point I was trying to make

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore