PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandon Bolden Suspended 4 Games (PED test)(Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also is there a way to rephrase this category of drugs so that these guys don't sound like pedophiles

just saw that shiancoe was activated.

just my conspiratory mind imagining:

BB1-Hey Brandon, come over here.
BB2-Yeah coach, what did I do wrong.
BB1-nothing yet. I need to ask you a favor. Your injury looks like it is going to take about 3-4 more weeks to heal up.
BB2-yeah, it is still pretty stiff. these crutches are getting old fast.
BB1-well, I could really use a little more roster flexibility right about now. I need to squeeze in this new cb and visanthe is coming off IR; hey how about you drink a little of this stuff, here take it. we'll schedule you for a pee-test tomorrow. You take a couple weeks off; and when you come back off suspension; I promise we'll extend you with a fat bonus to make up what you lose. That will give me a few more weeks to figure out which TE or wr to cut loose.
BB2-whatever you need coach; I'm a rookie after all.

This might be completely off topic, but I don't know why the NFL doesn't allow the use of HGH in the rehab of injuries under a doctor's care. To control it all they'd have to do is require the player notify that HGH is going to be used in the rehab therapy, and then require a blood test showing the drug is out of the player's system before he can be allowed to play.

HGH has proven therapeutic benefits and if the drug was shown to be out of the player's system before he can engage in on field activities again, there would be no unfair competitive gain.

I see this being most used over the off season when players are healing up, but as long as its out of the players system before he gets back on the field, I'd have no trouble during the season as well. Again under a doctor's direction.

in all cases

Agreed. The message isn't exactly: you've disgraced our game by cheating, so much as: you're an idiot and an embarrassment for getting caught. Still, you and I are in a minority here, I think.

Agreed. The message isn't exactly: you've disgraced our game by cheating, so much as: you're an idiot and an embarrassment for getting caught. Still, you and I are in a minority here, I think.

I am willing to concede that in the NFL players are asked to be quick healers.

It is a very very tough call for those involved.

Last edited:
just saw that shiancoe was activated.

just my conspiratory mind imagining:

This is silly because a suspension is a big deal for a player when the team can just secretly ask them to pretend to be injured longer like when Kliff Kingsbury said BB 'told' him he was injured.

How is coming back from an injury as fast as possible cheating?

It's one thing if you're taking a substance that improves your performance on the field - I can see the argument for how that is cheating. But healing your body as fast as possible? I don't see that as cheating.

This might be completely off topic, but I don't know why the NFL doesn't allow the use of HGH in the rehab of injuries under a doctor's care. To control it all they'd have to do is require the player notify that HGH is going to be used in the rehab therapy, and then require a blood test showing the drug is out of the player's system before he can be allowed to play.

HGH has proven therapeutic benefits and if the drug was shown to be out of the player's system before he can engage in on field activities again, there would be no unfair competitive gain.

I see this being most used over the off season when players are healing up, but as long as its out of the players system before he gets back on the field, I'd have no trouble during the season as well. Again under a doctor's direction.
Stigma and social backlash. Somebody has to think of the children right?

Agreed 100%

but i do think 4 games is a very light suspension

4 games is the number agreed upon in the CBA under the PED policy, and it's a no excuses situation (See Star Caps case where the banned ingredient wasn't even listed, the league knew the subtance was in the product and didn't tell the players, and the players were still suspended). And, if you think losing 1/4 of your annual salary over a first positive test for something is too light, I'd say that your sense of proportion could use a second look.

You can get docked 1/4 of your year's pay because you took a Sudafed, for crying out loud.*

* No, I'm not kidding. Taking a Sudafed without "proper" clearance is really a punishable offense under the NFL policy. That's how insane the policy is at the edges.

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/Banned%20Substance%20List.pdf

Last edited:
How is coming back from an injury as fast as possible cheating?

It's one thing if you're taking a substance that improves your performance on the field - I can see the argument for how that is cheating. But healing your body as fast as possible? I don't see that as cheating.

Because he is taking a controlled and banned in this instance. Which I should point out we don't know was the case here.

And, if you think losing 1/4 of your annual salary over a first positive test for something is too light, I'd say that your sense of proportion could use a second look.
You do the crime. You do the time.

This is silly because a suspension is a big deal for a player when the team can just secretly ask them to pretend to be injured longer like when Kliff Kingsbury said BB 'told' him he was injured.
uhhhh,

something intended as "funny" could also be generally regarded as 'silly'.

lighten up francis.

Not sure if all the facts have even come out yet but I wouldn't hang, draw and quarter him just yet.

As stated above, over the counter pain killing tablets are banned because they contain the minutest amount of a PED substance.

How much do they really enhance your performance? It's very debatable.

Also is there a way to rephrase this category of drugs so that these guys don't sound like pedophiles

You could call it ED...oh wait, now it sounds like something that Bob Dole should be endorsing........

Did anybody else find Reiss' take on the suspension to be a bit harsh???
New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
>>>> Bolden was suspended while at Ole Miss as well (link here). The Patriots give players a clean slate when they first arrive, but Bolden's present suspension, coupled with his past suspension, don't cast a favorable light on his judgment in consecutive seasons. Perhaps there is an explanation for both, and it will be interesting to see what steps Bolden takes, if any, to clear his name. <<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------
Re suspension while at Ole Miss....
Scout.com: Nutt Suspends Four

>>>>>Nutt wouldn’t elaborate on the suspensions after practice Thursday afternoon, only saying the suspensions are for one game and had nothing to do with any kind of substance abuse or criminal behavior.

Sources indicated the suspensions were academic related.
<<<<<<

It's painting a broad brush to link the two, especially if the first one was related to possibly not attending class or doing required coursework...

Last edited:
Did anybody else find Reiss' take on the suspension to be a bit harsh???
New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
>>>> Bolden was suspended while at Ole Miss as well (link here). The Patriots give players a clean slate when they first arrive, but Bolden's present suspension, coupled with his past suspension, don't cast a favorable light on his judgment in consecutive seasons. Perhaps there is an explanation for both, and it will be interesting to see what steps Bolden takes, if any, to clear his name. <<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------
Re suspension while at Ole Miss....
Scout.com: Nutt Suspends Four

>>>>>Nutt wouldn’t elaborate on the suspensions after practice Thursday afternoon, only saying the suspensions are for one game and had nothing to do with any kind of substance abuse or criminal behavior.

Sources indicated the suspensions were academic related.
<<<<<<

It's painting a broad brush to link the two, especially if the first one was related to possibly not attending class or doing required coursework...

I was a bit suprised as Reiss stays pretty neutral on these types of circumstances or will cautiously lean his opinion one way or the other. Hes pretty good at exhausting all of the potential reasons and information before being that bold in an assesment of a player.

Aaron Hernandez and Spikes wern't exactly choir boys at U of F either but so far they've been good Patriots. I bet you can say that about 80% of the players on the roster while they were in college or 1st year players. My buddy went to the U while Vince was there and has a few stories (none horrific, just wild party stories).

Bolden seems to need to a mature a bit more and understand what it means to be a true pro but to label him as a problem child is a bit premature IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back