PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady v. NFL Court Hearing Thread (8/31) - Live Update and Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
No settlement agreement reached.

Mora (Giants) and Feeley (NFLPA) (also the kicker involved in the Jets kicking ball issue) were brought into court to help the settlement talks. This might have pissed off Mora being dragged into court.

Judge said he would offer his ruling in a day or two.

Some say they could still attempt to reach a settlement before the ruling but highly unlikely.

Sketch artist did a better job than last time but only had 5 minutes so it looks a little rushed.:)

Back to the waiting game.
No settlement agreement reached.

Mora (Giants) and Feeley (NFLPA) (also the kicker involved in the Jets kicking ball issue) were brought into court to help the settlement talks. This might have pissed off Mora being dragged into court.

Judge said he would offer his ruling in a day or two.

Some say they could still attempt to reach a settlement before the ruling but highly unlikely.

Sketch artist did a better job than last time but only had 5 minutes so it looks a little rushed.:)

Back to the waiting game.

Thanks, so much drama.

I think i am really taking a liking to Judge Berman, He is dragging the puppet master from behind the curtain and exposing him to the whole world. Judge Berman is also showing the demigods of the NFL that there are Powers in this nation too which they do have to answer and obey. Three cheers for Judge Berman.
And if heaven forbid he should rule for the NFL, they would be unbearable.......sort of like...

I think i am really taking a liking to Judge Berman, He is dragging the puppet master from behind the curtain and exposing him to the whole world. Judge Berman is also showing the demigods of the NFL that there are Powers in this nation too which they do have to answer and obey. Three cheers for Judge Berman.

I may or may not like this post in a couple of days. o_O

I wasn't able to follow much time day. Anyone have an update on how today's proceedings went, did the NFL get grilled again? What was Mara asked? Thanks

Raffi Melkonian ‏@RMFifthCircuit 7m7 minutes ago
So as we prepare for Berman's magnum opus Tuesday or Wednesday, let's remember that there are several "bad" wins for Brady - or less good.
Raffi Melkonian ‏@RMFifthCircuit 6m6 minutes ago
1) Berman writes a robust, pro-Brady opinion that is *too* strong pro-Brady on law. Risk is reversal at Second Circuit.
2) Berman says that Goodell was not an impartial arbitration. Risk: second arbitration with a non-Goodell. Same result or worse possible.
Raffi Melkonian ‏@RMFifthCircuit 5m5 minutes ago
3) Berman says the Pash testimony should have been admitted. Risk: second arbitration with Goodell but Pash testifies.
The "cleanest" win is if Berman says the only penalty available for ball infractions under CBA is a fine. In that event, no 2nd arb.
Raffi Melkonian ‏@RMFifthCircuit 4m4 minutes ago
But *that* conclusion is weak on appeal (to me), so it's sort of a #1 (too strong pro-Brady result).
Raffi Melkonian ‏@RMFifthCircuit 3m3 minutes ago
Brady nightmare scenario: He wins on Pash. NFL decides to go to war and does 2nd arb. Suspension reimposed with good procedure.
Raffi Melkonian ‏@RMFifthCircuit 2m2 minutes ago
i.e., suspension reimposed in, like, November with best practices procedure and safeguards. That would be very very bad for TB.
So even if Brady think he's won at this stage, risks abound.

The league would never do this to Peyton. If brady wins the NFL should just drop it and not appeal "for the good of the league". I won't hold my breath

The league would never do this to Peyton. If brady wins the NFL should just drop it and not appeal "for the good of the league". I won't hold my breath

For the sake of "ending the rhetoric".

Some Comments on the Comments, and some general comments. ;)

1. I finally got the why on the reason Mara was called in by page 6. Thanks to those who informed me.

2. Volin's comment that he thinks Brady will win, and Curran's comment that he thinks it's 50-50 only goes to show the full mendacity of these media pukes. Volin, who has carried the league's water for 7 months, wants us to believe that he finally sees the light.....with a an appeals qualifier. While Curran who has tried to see reason in several article, STILL hasn't got the balls to pick a side, and hedges his bets in a typically cynical mediot maneuver. Shame on both of them.

3. I find the Jay Feeley appearance to be a both interesting and deviously subtle by Kessler. Feeley was unable to testify, but by his mere appearance, the media picked up on it. They rapidly tried to figure out why he was there, and quickly got to the Jets equipment tampering saga, which fortifies the impression that Goodell impossed an unfair punishment and further shows how his rulings are capricious and arbitrarily applied.

4. I loved the line by the surprisingly erudite Matt Chatham, that (and I paraphrase) "The hearing l:Dasted about the same time most mediots studied the Welles report."

5. It was interesting that the Judge commented that he felt in today's hearing "both sides tried hard". It would seem clear that both sides offered SOMETHING to each other. I wonder what each side was offering. Love to have been a fly on the "cloakroom" wall.

6. I agree that Berman has made his decision and given the bare bones of it to one of his clerks to flesh out. The "day or two" that is mentioned is the time it will take for him to go over what the clerk has written and make his comments and edits. IMHO, We'll hear sometime tomorrow.

7. This day was very Shakespearean. Unfortunately it was more about "Much ado about nothing", than anything climactic, like the death scene of Romeo and Juliet.

8. It's always a good day when you get to use the word erudite in a sentence and better yet when you spell it correctly.

Good post:

1. Mara is the Chairman of the NFL Executive Management Counsel. Essentially that makes him "The Boss of Bosses". (The fact he's another NY guy doesn't strike me as ironic, either). It almost seems like he was letting him know Roger's your dog and there's a leash law in this state.

3. The NYJ bias is so oblivious its (almost) laughable at this point. Just the recent tampering "punishment" the Jets "suffered" is icing on the cake.

What was the point of being there if you rely on tweets as sources of information. I thought reporting was something done by speaking to PRIMARY sources?!?!
Well we sure as hell know he didn't have any missed calls or texts from friends because he doesn't have any.

2) Berman says that Goodell was not an impartial arbitration. Risk: second arbitration with a non-Goodell. Same result or worse possible.
I don't see any possibility that a non-Goodell arbiter makes a worse situation for Brady.
3) Berman says the Pash testimony should have been admitted. Risk: second arbitration with Goodell but Pash testifies.
Boy, I gotta doubt this happens. All that does is put us in the exact same situation a couple months from now when Goodell issues the same ruling.

The NFL cannot remediate the failure to provide notice.

If Berman vacates the rule by incorporating that, wouldn't it ALL have to go away?

I think what he's saying is that it's appealable, and he thinks it's an argument that's more likely to be overturned than the others.

Raffi Melkonian ‏@RMFifthCircuit 7m7 minutes ago
So as we prepare for Berman's magnum opus Tuesday or Wednesday, let's remember that there are several "bad" wins for Brady - or less good.
1) Berman writes a robust, pro-Brady opinion that is *too* strong pro-Brady on law. Risk is reversal at Second Circuit.
The "cleanest" win is if Berman says the only penalty available for ball infractions under CBA is a fine. In that event, no 2nd arb.
Raffi Melkonian ‏@RMFifthCircuit 4m4 minutes ago
But *that* conclusion is weak on appeal (to me), so it's sort of a #1 (too strong pro-Brady result).
Raffi Melkonian ‏@RMFifthCircuit 3m3 minutes ago
Brady nightmare scenario: He wins on Pash. NFL decides to go to war and does 2nd arb. Suspension reimposed with good procedure.
i.e., suspension reimposed in, like, November with best practices procedure and safeguards. That would be very very bad for TB.
So even if Brady think he's won at this stage, risks abound.

These tweets in a nutshell:

tumblr_nlu6jlD8do1smgwqeo1_1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results