PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady, Pats at Kentucky Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's pretty cool! where did u hear that?

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/articles/2007/05/16/brady_adds_guts_to_his_glory/

Brady adds Guts to his glory

By Carol Beggy & Mark Shanahan, Globe Staff | May 16, 2007
[FONT=&quot] Seems Patriots QB Tom Brady has been bitten by the racing bug. Turns out, No. 12 doesn't just horse around at the Kentucky Derby, he's also part owner of a 3-year-old filly named Guts Game. Brady bought into the Little Red Feather Racing partnership that includes hip-hop mogul Jay-Z, New York Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca, and NBA star LeBron James's "people." Since being purchased for $165,000 in April 2006, Guts Game has earned $75,800, says Little Red Feather's Billy Koch. But don't look for Guts Game in races like the Preakness this Saturday. Brady's filly runs in allowance races, several levels below the Triple Crown. But don't hold that against her. "She's a great horse," Koch says.

I thought Barbaro was injured at the Preakness, not the Derby that he won??????

[/FONT]

Lucky them. They got to see the filly who came in second euthanized right on the track.

I know. Horse racing needs to wake up. It's really barbaric what happened today. And they wonder why the sport isn't popular.

Lucky them. They got to see the filly who came in second euthanized right on the track.

Something told me not to watch today. Shades of Ruffian. Took me years to get over that. There will be a pall now for a while, but it is what it is. The sport of Kings is a vicious passtime. It's not crowded fields, it's being pushed at two and three to do something nature never intended you do until at least 4. Stuff like this often takes the luster off for the celebrity owners for a time. Unless of course you're just a piece of **** like Vick who sees animals as nothing more than a means to an end - his own amusement.

It's tough enough to deal with when racing is/horses are your life. I bred and raised Arabian show horses for ten years and it was the concern for them when they were no longer mine, but potentially the property of someone who just wanted them because they could win, that finally caused me to walk away. Racing is a lot tougher. For every Derby candidate who emerges tens of thousands who don't make the grade end up struggling to find some other niche (and temperement wise that's tough for horses bred solely to run fast) or end up in a slaughter house.

I understand the fascination. They say the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man. They are magnificent creatures, incredibly valient - often to a fault - and yet remarkably fragile.

Barbaro's injury wasn't nearly as severe and because of his stud value every effort is made to save a stallion of his quality. Fillies don't fare as well because their only value off the track is as broodmares capable of producing a foal a year, if they could still carry even one to term. They tried to save Ruffian because she was incredibly special, but horses also don't handle surgery well. She kept reinjuring the leg every time she awoke. It was because of her they developed the water slings which at least gave Barbaro a half a chance at recovery. Still 9 out of 10 won't make it due to complication like colic and founder.

Tom should get a fast truck and join Moss' NASCAR venture instead...

Did I hear right, Marvin Harrison shot a horse at the Kentucky Derby?

Just another thread from a guy who has suddenly overtaken Keegs in terms of pointless drivel. Just brutal!

No its not.

I didnt remember that Brady had become a horse racing fan or know that he had ownership in a race horse.

Furthermore, some of us on this board are interested in horse racing and its been a long off season already. There is no harm done having 1 thread about the Kentucky Derby.

Hey Keegs,

I guess I'm still slightly jaded by that bus ride beating to death story you told on this forum, which still ranks as the worst I'v seen here.
It's going to take you a while to live that one down.
Rich

LOL yeah the outrage that thread created took me by surprise. I thought it was funny and I still do. It did belong in the Pub though and i didn't realize how different of a crowd this was from the "pub" type forum at my poker messageboard.

I don't think anyone found that thread funny, which is kinda funny in itself.:singing:

you are entitled to your opinion though,

take it easy chief.

The derby makes me sick. Anyone see the horse that came in second get euthanized on the track after she broke both her front legs and collapsed. Btw, that is the most painfull thing a horse can feel. Pretty much the same as taking a sledge hammer to both your ankles(shattering them while you are running full tilt), then face planting into the turf at 40 mph. Dont forget horses weigh thousands of pounds. What a humane thing to do!

I feel bad for all those horses, and also the morons who think its fun to do that crap to animals.Don't give the garbage about horses loving to run, not in that way they don't.

The derby is garbage.

Last edited:
Look on the bright side. Think of all the dogs that will benefit.

I know. Horse racing needs to wake up. It's really barbaric what happened today. And they wonder why the sport isn't popular.

I believe breakdowns in the sport as a whole, day in day out, are down, but the sport, of which I am a big fan, has been on the side of some incredibly bad luck when it comes to breakdowns on big racing days.

In regards to Eight Belles, the horse took a bad step a quarter of a mile after the race. It had nothing to do with running in the Kentucky Derby. Many great fillies have beaten boys in this country and they run against the colts all the time in Europe (While Eight Belles is not on the level of a Winning Colors or Genuine Risk obviously, she proved she belonged by running an outstanding race. She wasn't overmatched at all). She took a bad step. Could have happened to any horse at any time after any race at any track.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
I believe breakdowns in the sport as a whole, day in day out, are down, but the sport, of which I am a big fan, has been on the side of some incredibly bad luck when it comes to breakdowns on big racing days.

In regards to Eight Belles, the horse took a bad step a quarter of a mile after the race. It had nothing to do with running in the Kentucky Derby. Many great fillies have beaten boys in this country and they run against the colts all the time in Europe (While Eight Belles is not on the level of a Winning Colors or Genuine Risk obviously, she proved she belonged by running an outstanding race. She wasn't overmatched at all). She took a bad step. Could have happened to any horse at any time after any race at any track.

My 2 cents.

Yes, but isn't there something about a softer type track that might help with breakdowns? When I say wake up, that's what I mean. It's time for some changes.

And PWP, that dog comment was really not cool. I just don't really have the cynical sense of humor about an animal in pain and being put down. If it were Michael Vick, OTOH, the joke would have worked.

The derby makes me sick. Anyone see the horse that came in second get euthanized on the track after she broke both her front legs and collapsed. Btw, that is the most painfull thing a horse can feel. Pretty much the same as taking a sledge hammer to both your ankles(shattering them while you are running full tilt), then face planting into the turf at 40 mph. Dont forget horses weigh thousands of pounds. What a humane thing to do!

I feel bad for all those horses, and also the morons who think its fun to do that crap to animals.Don't give the garbage about horses loving to run, not in that way they don't.

The derby is garbage.

Patslifer, I never thought much about it, but you are totally correct.
The Derby is anti-animal and borders on inhumane. Having to put thousands of pounds of weight onto tiny ankles that are like the size of a man's forearms is dangerous. Running full tilt is potentially disastrous, as this poor horse showed us.

Patslifer, I never thought much about it, but you are totally correct.
The Derby is anti-animal and borders on inhumane. Having to put thousands of pounds of weight onto tiny ankles that are like the size of a man's forearms is dangerous. Running full tilt is potentially disastrous, as this poor horse showed us.

I agree with you. Having spent some time around horses, I honestly feel bad for the horses forced to race. You see all these people jumping and cheering with dollar signs in thier eyes. They don't understand that these horses suffer severe injury and pain from running like that.

It's a crying shame watching a horse run to the death. I knew the second that horse was down it was going to be euthonized. Imagine running as fast as you can, then having someone hit you directly in the legs with a lead pipe shattering both ankle bones in your legs. Now imagine how that would feel if your legs where as thin as a pencil.

I dont mean to vent here, but these people get caught up in the glammer of the derby, an ignore the savage nature of horse racing.Horses where meant to run, but not in the way these people ask them to. Very sad really. Sh*t, that's not even getting into the drugs thy pump into these horses to make them run harder.

Very tough to watch a bunch of big hat wearing goof's cheering while a horse is writhing in pain on the ground, then put down.

Last edited:

My 2 cents.

The fact that is happens is the point. Having spent time around horse racing, the term "barbaric" is an understatment. I wonder what all the big hat's told their kid's when they asked about Eight Belles? I bet they told them how both her front legs snapped, and she faceplanted at 40 mph and had to be killed on the spot. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I agree, a bunch of "social butterflys" watching horses race till the death. How ramantic and classy:rolleyes:

Horse racing is a low class sport, as well as gray hound racing.

I personally believe the jockey was responsible for the death of Eight Belles more than just a freak accident to her ankles.

From what I saw the jockey Gilberto Raez who is not well known and raced in his first derby was pounding the crap out of the young filly from mid stretch to the wire and once passed the wire,the jockey eased up on the horse a bit too quickly as she was still running hard feeling the whip too often and she stopped running hard much too fast thus abruptly coming to a sudden speed shutdown resulting in a quick break to both ankles - Sort of like driving a Lamborghini at 110 miles an hour and slamming on the brakes - You are going to do some damage.

The humane industry wants Raez suspended and rightfully so

I have been a racehorse fan for 30 years and this is not the norm as some of you think- Horse Racing is a great sport and all champion caliber horses DO love racing - If a champion like Secretariat could have talked I am sure he would have felt this way.

Most jockeys use thier brains and patience when dealing with a horse near and after the wire in terms of letting the horse know the difference of before the wire and after the wire- This jockey did not do what he was supposed to and thats slowly take the foot off the gas thus resulting in the death of this beautiful filly.

Regarding Bella*Chick's post....

The sport is not popular? - That may be the dumbest statement in quite some time on here.

While Harness Racing does struggle,Thoughrobred racing thrives supreme and if you were anywhere near a betting simulcast place or a racetrack you would be surprised as to how much money daily is spent on a sport you consider to be 'not popular'.

The Kentucky Derby is well known as the Super Bowl of horse racing and to which horse racing in general overall is a yearly billion dollar industry with billions of dollars wagered every year -Do some research before stating a not so smart comment like its not a popular sport - I have been all around the country to different major racetracks and I can assure you IT IS one of the most popular sports in this country.

Last edited:
I personally believe the jockey was responsible for the death of Eight Belles more than just a freak accident to her ankles.

I'm sorry this is an idiotic statement. One of the dumbest I've ever read. PETA-esque. Here we go...

From what I saw the jockey Gilberto Raez who is not well known and raced in his first derby was pounding the crap out of the young filly from mid stretch to the wire and once passed the wire,the jockey eased up on the horse a bit too quickly as she was still running hard feeling the whip too often and she stopped running hard much too fast thus abruptly coming to a sudden speed shutdown resulting in a quick break to both ankles - Sort of like driving a Lamborghini at 110 miles an hour and slamming on the brakes - You are going to do some damage.

First of all, his name is Gabriel Saez. At least get that right if you want to pan the guy. Just because he is not well known doesn't mean that he is incompetent. His mounts earned nearly 3 mil last year and he won 15.9% of his mounts, a highly respectable percentage. Saying the guy doesn't know what he's doing is completely ridiculous.

Your statements about the whipping of the horse down the stretch are not confirmed by the replay of the race, found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCWbKigAZQs
Certainly the jockey was whipping the horse, as he was trying to win the race, but he did not go overboard and stopped a 16th of a mile from the wire because he realized he wasn't going to win and was clear for 2nd place.

Now, can you please show me the letters you wrote to racing commissions and PETA, et al in regards to Mike Smith whipping Giacomo in the 2005 Derby? Because I assume you were just as up in arms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDeItSF72Gs&feature=related

Further, the horse did not break down until a quarter of a mile after the race, long after Eight Belles had slowed down.

Most jockeys use thier brains and patience when dealing with a horse near and after the wire in terms of letting the horse know the difference of before the wire and after the wire- This jockey did not do what he was supposed to and thats slowly take the foot off the gas thus resulting in the death of this beautiful filly.

That you are saying the jockey, Saez, felt the horse in pain and yet continued to whip and drive the horse to the finish is completely ridiculous. You're basically calling the guy a murderer. And watch the race, once he realizes he can't get to the winner and is safely second, he rides the horse quietly to the finish. She doesn't break down until she's all the way around the turn. You keep ignoring this.

Bella*chick...yes they can do something about the tracks and some tracks have installed synthetic surfaces. It's kind of a work in progress, but it's not like the issue has been totally ignored. But since they are relatively new, the evidence is still incomplete. This was a tragedy. That's it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry this is an idiotic statement. One of the dumbest I've ever read. PETA-esque. Here we go...

First of all, his name is Gabriel Saez. At least get that right if you want to pan the guy. Just because he is not well known doesn't mean that he is incompetent. His mounts earned nearly 3 mil last year and he won 15.9% of his mounts, a highly respectable percentage. Saying the guy doesn't know what he's doing is completely ridiculous.

Your statements about the whipping of the horse down the stretch are not confirmed by the replay of the race, found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCWbKigAZQs
Certainly the jockey was whipping the horse, as he was trying to win the race, but he did not go overboard and stopped a 16th of a mile from the wire because he realized he wasn't going to win and was clear for 2nd place.

Now, can you please show me the letters you wrote to racing commissions and PETA, et al in regards to Mike Smith whipping Giacomo in the 2005 Derby? Because I assume you were just as up in arms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDeItSF72Gs&feature=related

Further, the horse did not break down until a quarter of a mile after the race, long after Eight Belles had slowed down.

That you are saying the jockey, Saez, felt the horse in pain and yet continued to whip and drive the horse to the finish is completely ridiculous. You're basically calling the guy a murderer. And watch the race, once he realizes he can't get to the winner and is safely second, he rides the horse quietly to the finish. She doesn't break down until she's all the way around the turn. You keep ignoring this.

Bella*chick...yes they can do something about the tracks and some tracks have installed synthetic surfaces. It's kind of a work in progress, but it's not like the issue has been totally ignored. But since they are relatively new, the evidence is still incomplete. This was a tragedy. That's it.

That's a good and correct post top-to-bottom. Gabriel Saez ran the perfect race for that horse. What happened to Eight Belles breaks my otherwise leather heart. It DOES have to do with breeding, but current breeding doesn't have to mean leg problems. It does because of the grueling push for three year-old horses to succeed during Derby prep and Triple Crown races.

I've been in and around horseracing since I was knee-high when my dad owned horses. The Derby is a big part of the problem. The field is too big, and young horses have to race too hard in too short a time to rack up enough stakes winnings to qualify. Lower the field to 12 and you'll reduce a lot of the hard racing on a lot of young horses. Plus, I just think it just makes a better race. The point demands more than I can type on a football board.

Last edited:
not to get away from the tragedy for a second....and to try and add some levity.....regardless of how many pats were there...they didn't bring me any luck! Colonel john and court visison...both straight up to win....DUD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes