PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Depth Chart: Top 3 at Every Position in the BB/Brady Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

slam

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Since we still have what seems like an eternity to go until the game, let's take a trip down memory lane and work out what are the top 3 players at each position in the BB/Brady era. Let's say we get the peak performance of the player while they are with the Pats, so that brings short timers like Martellus Bennett and Revis in play.

I'm going to start with Special Teams, as there are fewer players to contend with. I'm sure these will be revised a lot as we go.

Kicker
1. Vinatieri
2. Gostkowski
3. Shayne Graham

I think these are the only three options. Adam and Stephen are 1a and 1b. Ghost has a better kickoff leg. We remember that Ghost had costly misses in the playoffs. Adam missed in the Carolina SB, but made up for it at the end. Shayne Graham filled in briefly while Ghost I think was hurt.

Punter
1. Ryan Allen
2. Zoltan Mesko
3. Josh Miller

In straight Y/P, that's the order for regular punters. We all hated Ken Walter when he was here, but he was good at pinning the team from midfield and uncorked a great punt in the Rams SB. I don't even remember the Chris Hanson era, which lasted 3 seasons.

Kick Returner
1. Ellis Hobbs
2. LeGarrette Blount
3. Kevin Faulk

Blount is actually the franchise leader in yds/return among those with more than 5 attempts! Hobbs is the best in terms of average for those with more than 80 attempts and with 3 TDs. I think of Troy Brown as the iconic kick returner of the early years but Faulk had twice as many attempts and a better average.

Punt Returner
1. Julian Edelman
2. Troy Brown
3. Wes Welker

Edelman has a slightly better average, and 4 TDs to Troy's 3. Welker was replaced by Edelman as Belichick warned him in 2009.

Special Teams Ace
1. Matt Slater
2. Larry Izzo
3. Matt Chatham

These are the ones that stick out in my memory. I may have missed some in the middle.

Long Snapper
1. Lonnie Paxton
2. Joe Cardona
3. Danny Aiken

I had to look up Aiken as I didn't remember who snapped between Paxton and Cardona. Props to Brian Kinchen, who we pulled in from teaching grade school I think to snap in the Carolina Super Bowl under adverse circumstances to do his job in the end.

Nice ... I forgot about Hobbs ... the subject of many posts on this site.

QB
1. Brady
2. Garrapolo
3. Bledsoe

Will anyone argue for someone else for #3?

Feature RB
1. Corey Dillon
2. Dion Lewis
3. LeGarrette Blount

Lewis has the highest Y/P by a lot, but Dillon has the highest Y/Game. 3rd could go to a lot of folks, but I'll go with Blount. Michel could land on this before too long.

Third Down RB
1. James White
2. Kevin Faulk
3. Danny Woodhead

An embarrassment of riches. Every year the Pats have one of the top 3rd round backs. Shane Vereen didn't even make this list.

FB
1. James Develin
2. Heath Evans
3. Marc Edwards

Did I miss anyone?

Outside WR
1. Randy Moss
2. Brandin Cooks
3. Deion Branch

Moss no doubt #1. Cooks' one season was the second best for WRs in the BB era. Branch missed a 1,000 season by 2 yards for his best season as a Pat.

Slot WR
1. Welker
2. Edelman
3. Troy Brown

Again: Embarrassment of riches. Welker has the regular season numbers, Edelman the playoff glories. Troy Brown was the best WR in the early dynasty years.

TE
1. Gronk
2. Hernandez
3. Daniel Graham

Unfortunately have to put Hernandez at #2. Tough choice between Graham and Watson. Graham's the better blocker. Watson still played to this year, productively. Watson's best receiving year was better than Graham's. It's a flip of the coin.

LT

1. Matt Light
2. Nate Solder
3. Trent Brown

It's really just those three with one season of Nick Kaczur!

LG
1. Logan Mankins
2. Joe Thuney
3. Joe Andruzzi

Undoubtedly Mankins #1. Thuney is 3 for 3 in making the Super Bowl. A lot of churn for the rest.

C
1. Dan Koppen
2. Damien Woody
3. David Andrews

Geez, Koppen was here for a long time. 7 years. Woody was here for the first four years of the Belichick regime, the last one at LG

RG
1. Stephen Neal
2. Shaq Mason
3. Joe Andruzzi

Special honors for RG/PR Dan Connolly. Andruzzi makes #3 for both guard positions playing three seasons at right and two at left.

RT
1. Sebastian Vollmer
2. Marcus Cannon
3. Nick Kaczur

Aside from these three, a lot of one and two year tenures with Greg Robinson-Randall, Tom Ashworth, Kenyatta Jones, and Brandon Gorin.

I would put Bledsoe ahead of Garoppolo, even if we're limiting ourselves to the BB years, entirely based on his playoff win against the Steelers. Jimmy G started 2 regular season games for New England his entire career and promptly got hurt.

Bledsoe #3 behind a guy who shows a ton of potential but can't even finish a season? Bledsoe saved the playoffs when Brady was out and netted us a 1st rounder. Jimmy was exciting and helped keep our regular season on track, but otherwise didn't do anywhere near as much for the franchise. Weird choice.

These cornerback definitions have a lot of room for interpretation.

#1 Corner
1. Ty Law
2. Stephen Gilmore
3. Asante Samuel

This one is hard between these three, Malcolm Butler, Revis, and Talib. I think Law would be on everyone's top 3, but I wouldn't be surprised at any other combination for the other two.

#2 Corner
1. Logan Ryan
2. Ellis Hobbs
3. Otis Smith

O-T-I-S. I think Logan Ryan is the best second banana of the bunch.

Nickle DB
1. Duron Harmon
2. Kyle Arrington
3. Randall Gay

I'd be interested to hear of other candidates here.

FS
1. Devin McCourty
2. Eugene Wilson
3. Tebucky Jones

SS
1. Rodney Harrison
2. Pat Chung
3. Lawyer Milloy

Non-honorable mention: Brandon Meriweather

DT
1. Wilfork
2. Alan Branch
3. Ted Washington

The one season of Ted Washington was great. Branch was very good for two seasons and bad for one.

RDE
1. Richard Seymour
2. Chandler Jones
3. Trey Flowers

McGinest was listed as both RDE and LDE. This is one deep position. Flowers/Jones could be flipped.

LDE
1. Willie McGinest
2. Rob Ninkovich
3. Ty Warren

Honorable mention: Bobby Hamilton

LLB
1. Mike Vrabel
2. Jamie Collins
3. Kyle Van Noy

Ninkovich also spent time here.

ILB
1. Tedy Bruschi
2. Jerod Mayo
3. Junior Seau

Honorable mention: Brandon Spikes.

RLB
1. Dont'a Hightower
2. Roman Phifer
3. Roosevelt Colvin

Not feeling too bad about leaving Adalius Thomas out. Wish Colvin hadn't hurt his hip.

One one hand, you guys are right about Bledsoe. On the other, he was 5-13 as a starter under BB, 19th in passer rating in 2000, and couldn't execute the offense.

If you were to start a season and you could choose either 2001 Bledsoe or 2017 Garappolo as your starter, who would you pick?

One one hand, you guys are right about Bledsoe. On the other, he was 5-13 as a starter under BB, 19th in passer rating in 2000, and couldn't execute the offense.

If you were to start a season and you could choose either 2001 Bledsoe or 2017 Garappolo as your starter, who would you pick?

The problem with Garoppolo is that he's almost an entirely theoretical player. In 3 seasons he started 2, 5 and 3 games. I try to judge players on what they actually did, and not on what I hope they might have done if things were different.

Right now it looks suspiciously like starting Jimmy G is just setting yourself up to have to start somebody else a couple weeks later.

2008 Cassel

Neal became a very solid rg- but Shaq Mason is the best rg in the NFL.
Neal was not in his class, as either a pass- or run- blocker.
And I liked Neal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back