PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady doubles down on his medical beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up in California. My mother and I had, between us, >30 years in the state. We lived around and among the film community. My grandfather (her father) was a physician. I also lived in NYC for a bunch of years around the performing arts folks (my chiropractor's patient list included Shirley Maclaine, Yoko Ono, Kevin Kline and Pope John Paul II). And there's more that I could add to that that I won't.

Suffice to say that I've seen common sense and/or intuition taken to extremes that were quackery.

Then you should know that pretty much everything Tom said is well substantiated. Sugar is bad for you, as is soda. Western medicine focuses more on reparative than preventative. This isn't remotely "doubling down."

The only thing Brady said that has any doubt around it is the acid/alkaline stuff, the rest is largely common sense. It may be that he accepts other things that are accepted as "quackery", I'd even say it is likely, but you appear to be conflating what Alex has said in the past with what Tom said on Monday.

Did Brady actually say it prevents a concussion from ever occurring or did he suggest that they might be less severe or that you might have less recovery time?

What he is getting around to is that what we eat causes inflammation in the body. Many of the illnesses and injuries are a result of inflammations. By the way, these ideas are not new. Search for "Gerson Therapy ".

Unfortunately, many of the folks who listen to the Spawts tawk radio, believe what they hear.. I have found it less and less tolerable lately.

The personification of short attention theater..
I know, it is scary. Lots of sheeple out there. My mantra is always "think for yourself".
Those who work in the sports media are no more intelligent/insightful than those in the audience and in many cases are less intelligent than you and I.

Whatever Brady is doing obviously works well for him. Nothing to see here.

It may be that he accepts other things that are accepted as "quackery", I'd even say it is likely, but you appear to be conflating what Alex has said in the past with what Tom said on Monday.

I'm taking Brady's tone as one of almost unquestioning acceptance of what Guerrero says now. Make that tone, business relationship, etc., etc.

This is not a criticism you or your profession, but there are fair share of traditional medical professionals who look upon Chiropractors as "quacks".. anything that does not fit the traditional mold of what we know as current day medicine is looked upon with a "crooked eye"....

When I was a kid in the 50's lived across the street from a chiropractor and had several sports injuries, the Chiropractor would conjur up various treatments.. vibration with some warm wet object or other different methods.. it worked. To this day my tx for a stiff neck is to wrap a hot face cloth in a towel, pin it and sleep on it.. it works like a charm.

A big issue now is that health plans only cover what they consider as mainstream medicine.. many folks cannot look at alternatives.

As a science guy & engineer I eschewed chiropractors. Finally my wife had me see one for one of my many post college sports injuries. It worked and has worked several times since and also sometimes (few) has not worked. As an engineer I'm into practicality and using what works vs pure science where the theoretical underpinnings must be understood. Slight exaggeration of the mentalities, but you get the point.

I'm sure that some aspects of TFB's regimen are CLEARLY working for him. As always there is noise in the data between what things may actually be helping him and the voodoo fluff surrounding some other procedures.

I could not agree more with the anti-sugar and soft drink statements.

It's not like he is saying second hand smoke don't cause cancer. Everything he is promoting gives a net positive outcome to health, so the only controversy is false marketing by his partner and since it's in conflict with big pharm you can expect it to be a big deal.

Lots of details sounds crazy to people unless they're actively involved. For example, a huge percentage of hamstring strains/pulls originate in the ankle with displacement of the talus. But most trainers would suggest icing and stretching the hamstring. The correct treatment is a chiropractic adjustment of the talus, or just learning to do it. Lots of high level coaches do this themselves because it's so common and during the heat of battle you can't go find a chiropractor if someone is complaining of hamstring tightness.

I'm taking Brady's tone as one of almost unquestioning acceptance of what Guerrero says now. Make that tone, business relationship, etc., etc.

What has Guerrero said to Tom that you find to be quackery?

I used to tend to think of chiropractors as quacks largely because of my experiences with a couple of chiropractors, not as a patient, who were most definitely quacks. But after decades of back pain, my father decided to see a chiropractor and it has done wonders for him.

The chiropractic profession is bifurcating into evidence-based chiropractors (who really are a lot like physical therapists) and the traditional woo chiropractors who believe stuff like adjustments can cure cancer.

With that said, the FDA, drug companies and medicine in general is not pure as the driven snow. There is absolutely shady stuff that goes on with drug reports, FDA lobbyists, etc.

True, but that goes triple (if not more) for the supplements and alt med industry.

(I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why I'm supposed to shiver with terror over "Big Pharma" making money but look the other way and ignore all the cold, hard cash that the supplements and alties are taking in hand over fist.)

Love hearing Brady speak out on this subject - sure, its going to scare a lot of people - they don't want to believe they are being held hostage by Pharmaceutical companies who 'only profit when you are sick'.

And the alties don't rake in huge profits from the stuff they sell? Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Always cracks me up how the altie crowd tries to make everyone look the other way from the money they're raking in while complaining about eeeeeeevil Big Pharma making money.

Also, if all this stuff actually works, why are the purveyors of it always so against it going through actual, scientific medical trials? Shouldn't they be welcoming with open arms the chance to be able to back up their claims with real science and be able to say "clinically-proven to do X" on their labels?

True, but that goes triple (if not more) for the supplements and alt med industry.

(I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why I'm supposed to shiver with terror over "Big Pharma" making money but look the other way and ignore all the cold, hard cash that the supplements and alties are taking in hand over fist.)
I agree. Alternative medicine also has some sketchy business practices and sketchy people with Guerrero potentially being one of them.

I'd like to think that Tom is too smart to be conned but its a legitimate question. When it comes to products and services offering spiritual and health benefits people sometimes good judgement goes bye-bye.

Last edited:
Not exactly at Tom Cruise Scientology level yet. At that point I will become concerned.

Although I joke about Cruise, he truly believes in his heart that Scientology led him to his career superstardom....maybe Brady feels similarly about his diet, supplements, etc. It is interesting to see what super famous people are truly passionate about, and it is usually something that helped them when they were struggling, whether you agree with it or not.

Well, Cruise and Brady have something in common (other than their first names.) Both are the GOAT at what they do - Brady at QBing, and Cruise at being an action star. Maybe being batshit crazy comes with the territory.

Although there's no sign of that in Brady's case yet. Whatever he's doing seems to be working for him.

Well, Cruise and Brady have something in common (other than their first names.) Both are the GOAT at what they do - Brady at QBing, and Cruise at being an action star. Maybe being batshit crazy comes with the territory.

Although there's no sign of that in Brady's case yet. Whatever he's doing seems to be working for him.

Tom Cruise is not the GoAT of action movies.

It's Arnold, Stallone and everyone else.

With that said I do think Cruise is a pretty good actor. Thought he was very good in Born on the 4th of July

Tom Cruise is not the GoAT of action movies.

It's Arnold, Stallone and everyone else.

With that said I do think Cruise is a pretty good actor. Thought he was very good in Born on the 4th of July

I disagree. Arnold and Stallone are very charismatic actors and their movies are abundantly entertaining. With that said, Cruise is a far better actor (the Mission Impossible series, for example, has been thoroughly enjoyable and just continues to get better, and has probably surpassed the Bond series in terms of quality and entertainment.) His willingness to perform these crazy stunts also puts him on another level. From a pure acting standpoint, he is far above them.

Having said that - Predator, Terminator 2, and First Blood are among the best action movies of all time.

I disagree. Arnold and Stallone are very charismatic actors and their movies are abundantly entertaining. With that said, Cruise is a far better actor (the Mission Impossible series, for example, has been thoroughly enjoyable and just continues to get better, and has probably surpassed the Bond series in terms of quality and entertainment.) His willingness to perform these crazy stunts also puts him on another level. From a pure acting standpoint, he is far above them.

Having said that, Predator, Terminator 2, and First Blood are among the best action movies of all time.

Cruise blows them both away acting-wise. There is no debate there.

Predator, Commando, The Terminators, the Rockys, Rambos, those are classics. I think the Expendables are above average.

The MIs were very good. Top Gun, Days of Thunder, etc were decent. No question Cruise has cranked out some good ones.

I just don't put them on the same plain as Rocky, Predator, Rambo or Terminator.

This may be a generational thing here. I'm in my mid-40s. Those are what I grew up with.

Cruise blows them both away acting-wise. There is no debate there.

Predator, Commando, The Terminators, the Rockys, Rambos, those are classics. I think the Expendables are above average.

The MIs were very good. Top Gun, Days of Thunder, etc were decent. No question Cruise has cranked out some good ones.

I just don't put them on the same plain as Rocky, Predator, Rambo or Terminator.

This may be a generational thing here. I'm in my mid-40s. Those are what I grew up with.

There's no question that Arnold is the GOAT of action movies, with Stallone second and everyone else vying for 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back