PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady a baseball player? It could've happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This article's about longtime major-league baseball scout Rick Schroeder. Here's the tidbit on Brady:

Schroeder has scouted some of baseball’s biggest stars during his career, from Barry Bonds to Randy Johnson and Ken Caminiti. While those players weren’t drafted by Schroeder’s teams, talent like former Colorado Rockies players Darren Oliver and Aaron Miles were signed.

Scouting is a hit-and-miss proposition. Schroeder related a situation where he was convinced that an athlete was making a mistake by choosing to play football at Michigan rather than baseball. He went so far as to tell this athlete’s parents that “he was crazy to play football.â€

That athlete? Two-time Super Bowl MVP Tom Brady, a quarterback with the New England Patriots.

Schroeder laughs as he tells that story, but admits that scouting a player isn’t an exact science.

---

And someone made the correct decision. :)

Many athletes have choices of sports...and that is ALL the harder these days...as before there were a LOT more 2 sport players. NOT now!! Not at all surprising that he had a shot at baseball. John Havlicek had interest from the Browns and may have been a heck of a DB if he had chosen that. Many think the NFL's best tight ends are playing basketball now, as in the past they wouud have played on the gridiron.

Can't remember too many recent two sport pro athletes. Danny Ainge, Bo Jackson, Deon Sanders, Jordan dabbled in Minor league baseball and golf. What's become of Drew Henson?

Last edited by a moderator:
dr said:
Can't remember too many recent two sport pro athletes. Danny Ainge, Bo Jackson, Deon Sanders, Jordan dabbled in Minor league baseball and golf. What's become of Drew Henson?

Don't forget that Elway leveraged baseball as his way out of being drafted by the Colts.....

Brady, I believe was drafted by the Expos to be a catcher. Somebody verify that?

Henson, couldn't make it out of AA ball. He couldn't bat his weight and that is the reason the Yankees allowed his contract to be bought out.

It says he was drafted by the Expos. That was a fate worse than death back then. To have that as your only backup explains why he was so fired up when he first arrived here. Failure was not an option.

bmf31c said:
Brady, I believe was drafted by the Expos to be a catcher. Somebody verify that?

Henson, couldn't make it out of AA ball. He couldn't bat his weight and that is the reason the Yankees allowed his contract to be bought out.

I can also verify it in saying that EVERY PATRIOTS FAN has known this for at least 3 years. It was in story after story during his rise to stardom.

patsox23 said:
I can also verify it in saying that EVERY PATRIOTS FAN has known this for at least 3 years. It was in story after story during his rise to stardom.

It wasn't mentioned in the article. I just added it to the discussion, there is no need to be ignorant. I'm glad you are so well informed and can speak for the knowledge base of the entire Patriots fan base. Obviously, it was ludicrous for this topic to be even started.
Those of us overseas for the past say 5 years, should be beaten and maligned for not seeing story after story regarding his baseball career.

Last edited:
dillon was a padre wasnt he?

Drew Henson has had a very lucrative career as a two sport player who can't play either sport on the pro level. He pocketed something like $17M of Steinbrenners money while still at Michican and then bailed on the Wolverines before his senior year. Got a few million more from Jerry Jones when they used a 6th to draft him after he quit as a bust on baseball. Sent him to NFLE this year where some analysts raved about him early but he faded badly down the stretch in what was supposed to be his last chance to prove he's even in the Bledsoe's replacement sweepstakes with Romo. Tuna doesn't seem to have any use for either of them.

The media has always loved him. He'll probably make a great crossover sports mediot once the 'Boys toss in the towel.

During his In Their Own Words segment on NFLN Tommy said baseball was his his first love and his sport until he began playing football in HS. He went with football because it was new to him and fascinating and he wanted to learn more and see what he could do with it. It's all about the challenge with him. When he has the time to fool with golf he looks like he could have eeked out a living on the tour fringes or as a club pro too. Most of these guys are good athletes. I think what seperated Tommy was his determination to master whatever he got involved in. Thank god he got involved with us. :D

MoLewisrocks said:
Drew Henson has had a very lucrative career as a two sport player who can't play either sport on the pro level. He pocketed something like $17M of Steinbrenners money while still at Michican and then bailed on the Wolverines before his senior year. Got a few million more from Jerry Jones when they used a 6th to draft him after he quit as a bust on baseball. Sent him to NFLE this year where some analysts raved about him early but he faded badly down the stretch in what was supposed to be his last chance to prove he's even in the Bledsoe's replacement sweepstakes with Romo. Tuna doesn't seem to have any use for either of them.

Being over here in Germany, I've seen him every week in NFLE and he is less than impressive. When Rohan Davey was over here, as you know, he just tore it up. So to be unimpressive here, I can't see him making an impact in the NFL any time soon.
At least he's rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes