PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bottom line is this game IS going to be for Top Seed in Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know its only week 9 and things can happen with injuries ect: but to be realistic this game is for the likely #1 seed in the AFC when the playoffs begin,If not it certainly is no less than getting a near guaranteed bye week off in the playoffs with whoever wins this game.​
The players and coaches continue to say 'its just another game on the schedule' but common sense says if we win this game we are all but guaranteed a bye week in the playoffs and at the very least a #2 seed - If we lose then I assume its going to be an uphill battle to be a #1 or #2 as I don't think with a loss here that we can get more wins than Indy this season or Denver which beat us and holds the tiebreaker edge​
I do not expect that Indy and NE will BOTH be holding #1 and #2 seed spots when the playoffs begin,so you can figure that either Denver,San Diego,Baltimore or even Cincinnati (Cin. or Balt. probably needs to win almost every game here on out for this possibility)-one of those 4 teams will be one of the top 2 seeds,That means the loser of Indy & NE game is likely going to be a home team in the Wild Card round with no week off,so LETS GET THIS GAME STARTED!​
It means more than just 'another weekly game in the schedule'-this is an 'AFC Conference #1 seed' game up for grabs in week 9' - Bank on its importance to win this one-we do and its likely smooth sailing to the AFC Championship game barring unforseen tragedy!​

i think in indy wins they will get home field, if the patriots win they still have to beat chicago

I think the Colts will lose one more game after the Pats beat
them tonight. Will give us a little wiggle room. Either at Jax or a desparate
Dallas team that plays the 3-4. McNabb could light them up too in
a shootout. I just don't like Philly's all-out blitz style against Manning.

Denver and San Diego will beat up on each other which is a benefit. The Ravens are overrated.

Indy still plays Dallas, Philly, Jacksonville, and Cincy. You figure there are 1 or 2 losses there. The Pats need the tie breaker with Indy

Tonight is a critical game for the Pats regarding the tie-breaker.

IF they lose tonight they are basically three games back of Indy-2 games plus the tie-breaker.
I don't see how they make that up over the last eight games.

HUGE game for the Pats tonight.

pepper03 said:

IF they lose tonight they are basically three games back of Indy-2 games plus the tie-breaker.

:agree: .... PATs really need to win this game. Sure they can still get second seed but this game can set them up for a SB run like no other
game.

pepper03 said:

Apparently I fell asleep and its now Week 15 of the regular season?

I'm trying to understand how a Patriots loss or Indy loss means they've given up home field advantage to the other...

I understand the concept of tie breakers and I'm not trying to minimize the game but its game 8. 50% of the season.

A lot can happen in half a season.... sometimes even less. Last year's SB Champs were 7-5 at week 13.

JoeSixPat said:

I'm trying to understand how a Patriots loss or Indy loss means they've given up home field advantage to the other...

I understand the concept of tie breakers and I'm not trying to minimize the game but its game 8. 50% of the season.

A lot can happen in half a season.... sometimes even less. Last year's SB Champs were 7-5 at week 13.

Of course you are right ... there will still be a lot of football left and
anything could happen.

But if these two teams are that good, then there is a good chance they
will win the rest of their games. Before you jump ... I didn't say they would
... just a good chance ... if they are as good as many think they are.

If this is the case ... then from that perspective this is the game that determines
home field advantage in the playoffs. From that perspective
this is the game that determines if Colts and PATs meet in the playoffs
whose field they play on. From this perspective it is a very important game.
IMO.

JoeSixPat said:

No I agree with you, it is only half way, but looking at the remaining schedules unless Manning gets hurt I don't see the Pats picking up three games on the Colts after this game. If the Pats end up after tonight down two games plus the tiebreaker the Pats would need to go 8-0 the rest of the way and the Colts 5-3-I don't think that's likely.

Of course, the Colts wil probably lose their first playoff game at home anyway and the Pats would then host the AFC Championship game as the 2nd seed!

also for me this is a HUGE game and a VERY important one for the # 1 seed

this is the reason why the Pats must win

i'm looking forward to see what will happens : 'THE GAME' for the NFL regular season imho

If Indy wins they have basically locked up homefield in the playoffs halfway through the season. They'd have a 2 game lead + tiebreaker on both the Pats & Broncos. Think about it, if Indy wins they'd be 8-0 vs 6-2 for the Pats. Lets say the Pats only lose one game the rest of the way to finish 13-3. The Colts, an 8-0 team under this hypothetical, would have to go 4-4 the rest of the way to lose out homefield. It would not be too early to declare the race for the top spot over.

If the Pats win both teams are 7-1 with the Pats having a tiebreaker edge. Homefield would hardly be wrapped up.

pepper03 said:
No I agree with you, it is only half way, but looking at the remaining schedules unless Manning gets hurt I don't see the Pats picking up three games on the Colts after this game. If the Pats end up after tonight down two games plus the tiebreaker the Pats would need to go 8-0 the rest of the way and the Colts 5-3-I don't think that's likely.

Of course, the Colts wil probably lose their first playoff game at home anyway and the Pats would then host the AFC Championship game as the 2nd seed!

I don't rule out 5-3 for the Colts actually. They are an unballanced team in many ways and its surprising they are still undefeated.

But I recognize what the game means in terms of tie breakers and what the Pats must do to capture home field advantage through the playoffs

Its just that I don't consider home field advantage through the entire playoffs as important to the Patriots as it is to Indy... and can't help but remember that as of Week 13, last year's SB champions were one W removed from being a .500 team.

If the Pats should lose tonight, ask yourself, "can I see the Patriots making it to the SB without home field advantage every step of the way?"

The answer is a resoundig "Yes"

Now, if Indy should lose, ask yourself - "can I envision Indy making it to the SB without home field advantage every step of the way?"

The answer is a resounding "No"

This makes it a "must win" for Indy but just an important win for the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft