PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges/Guregian: Browns tell Pioli to take it or leave it by today [Update: CPD: none

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Borges/Guregian: Browns tell Pioli to take it or leave it by today [Update: CPD:

There you go. He likes where he is at now and if you want him, you're going to have to overpay to get him to consider moving. Makes perfect sense to me. SP is in the driver's seat.

He certainly is w/Cleveland. Why would Pioli want to go to an organization where the owner, who is not a football man, has already interviewed two coaching candidates??

The National Football Post | Stats

On the Browns' coaching search front, Lerner met with Spagnuolo, whose defense was the league's fifth-best this season. The 49-year-old Spagnuolo has an interview with the Jets scheduled for Saturday. He is the second candidate interviewed by Lerner, who met with fired Jets coach Eric Mangini on Tuesday.

Re: Borges/Guregian: Browns tell Pioli to take it or leave it by today [Update: CPD:

The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting the same, it seems as though Pioli wants to kick the tires a few places.. if you read this though there is inuendo that he has to hire Mangini.. not sure why lerner would do this.. the readers comments are interesting..

Pioli not on Thursday deadline - Cleveland Browns Blog - Browns Beat - cleveland.com

It is also not yet known if Pioli and fired Jets coach Eric Mangini could work together after Spygate. The Browns interviewed Mangini this week and he remains a strong candidate. They are continuing the process of interviewing other head coaching candidates this week such as Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Browns defensive coordinator Mel Tucker and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

I read through some of the comments. WTF are the Browns fans issue with Belichick? He was the last coach that actually won a playoff game with that joke of a franchise.

I read through some of the comments. WTF are the Browns fans issue with Belichick? He was the last coach that actually won a playoff game with that joke of a franchise.

He was also the last coach of the Modell Browns before they moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens. Guilt / hate by association.

He was also the last coach of the Modell Browns before they moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens. Guilt / hate by association.

How they can think a coach has anything to do with ownership moving a team is ridiculous. If the Pats were moved to St. Louis back in the early 90's, we wouldn't be mad at Rod Rust.

They have a strange attitude, too. A few times I saw the comment "we deserve a championship". Um, no, you don't actually. No one deserves a championship, they win a championship.

He benched Bernie Kosar in favor of Vinne Testaverde, Kosar was not only a Brown's legend, he is from Ohio and he is about the only guy in the NFL, that actually WANTED to play for the Browns.

Oh course, BB was right, abd Vinnie beat the Pats in the playoffs.

He wa put in a very bad situation by Model, and he took alot of the fall for the move to Baltimore.

Last edited:

They have at least two issues with BB:

1) They didn't like BB because he didn't talk to the media and they took it personally. Like he was withholding state secrets from them.

2) They irrationally blame the Browns moving to Baltimore because Modell announced 4 games into the final season (the Browns had started 3-1) that the team was moving, underscutting BB's authority. The Browns tanked the rest of the way and the fans blamed BB for not going out winning because they had some irrational hope that, by winning, Modell would keep the Browns in Cleveland. What they don't know or won't allow themselves to believe is that BB was a lame duck coach from game 4 on since the Players were told of the move and that many of them and many of the coaching staff weren't going to Baltimore with them.

3) As FTW mentioned, BB had the audacity to bench Bernir Kosar without consulting the fans first.

Last edited:

They have a strange attitude, too. A few times I saw the comment "we deserve a championship". Um, no, you don't actually. No one deserves a championship, they win a championship.

Going 45 years without a championship will do that to you.

True, but the AFCCG losses they suffered in devastating fashion (1st and 98 in 1986 and then the fumble by Byner in 1987) left the town/fan base demoralized. Any Red Sox fan can empathize.

I've been thinking about Lerner and his "ultimatum" to Pioli. Now, I know that back in the 50's and 60's, a man would tell his wife they were moving and that would be the end of the discussion. However, this is the 21st century. If a man came home and told his wife they'd be moving and that she didn't have a choice, then the man is just as likely to find himself divorced and alone with his new job as he is having his wife join him.

Its pretty archaic for Lerner to give Pioli such an ultimatum and so little time to discuss it with his wife and such. And its what leads me to believe that Pioli isn't going to he Browns.

He benched Bernie Kosar in favor of Vinne Testaverde, Kosar was not only a Brown's legend, he is from Ohio and he is about the only guy in the NFL, that actually WANTED to play for the Browns.

Oh course, BB was right, abd Vinnie beat the Pats in the playoffs.
What made them extra upset is that when Kosar was released, Vinnie was hurt so the Browns had to start Todd Philcox for a few weeks after Kosar's release.

Meanwhile, the Browns may have to choose between Pioli and Mangini :D

Cleveland Browns like Eric Mangini, Scott Pioli, too. Can they get them both? - Cleveland Browns football NFL News - cleveland.com

"If the Browns hire Mangini, knowing there is evidence that the coach is the biggest indicator of a franchise's success, he'd probably already have his own right-hand personnel man in mind. If they hire Pioli, he'd undoubtedly be given the authority to hire his own coach."

The Browns can choose either one or the other....and they have to think about it?

Funny stuff.:D

True, but the AFCCG losses they suffered in devastating fashion (1st and 98 in 1986 and then the fumble by Byner in 1987) left the town/fan base demoralized. Any Red Sox fan can empathize.

But I don't think many of us feel we "deserve" to win Super Bowl 44 because of the Manning brothers beating us in the AFCCG and Super Bowl. I WANT us to win a Super Bowl, but if some team beats us, well, that happens.

When I hear "deserve", it makes me think of Marshall Faulk. You can tell that sh!thead think his Rams team "deserved" to win Super Bowl 36. No, jerk, you didn't.

i never thought that the herald would put out a false story

i never thought that the herald would put out a false story

I'm shocked myself:p I wasn't even going to get into this thread but it's at the top and it gives me a great opportunity to spew my venom about our sports media in general.

When are we going to just STOP believing every word we see. We should've learned a long time ago that our media's goal is not to report what's TRUE, but instead it's to report something which will garner them that coveted 15 minutes of fame. They aren't content to report the story; they want to BE the story. Truth is simply a matter of luck,like a roll of the dice.

I wasn't here when Curran's story broke about Brady's "condition", but seriously who is Tom Curran and what makes anyone think he's any more or less informed than any of the rest of them, and that his "league sources" are any more or less credible than anybody elses.

For a supposed "friend" of Brady's,he conveniently forgot Brady had a child when he was trying to make a point one night on ST LOL.

I'm abysmally tired of our media's self-serving agendas, and it's a travesty that a team like the Patriots is relegated to having these people speak on their behalf. I'm actually to the point where the only Fact Source I click is Reiss. We may not always agree with his analyses and/or opinions but at least he's committed to confirming something before he prints it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back