PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mortensen: Mangini favorite for Browns' head coach, then would hire Kokinis as GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are already celebrating in Cincinnati. With Mangini as the coach, The Bengals have improved their record by 2 wins already. Mangini will be getting a team with no talent and a coach with no skills and no more laptops to steal. Lerner must be the biggest schmuck on two feet to hire him rather than let Pioli builder a winner.

They are already celebrating in Cincinnati. With Mangini as the coach, The Bengals have improved their record by 2 wins already. Mangini will be getting a team with no talent and a coach with no skills and no more laptops to steal. Lerner must be the biggest schmuck on two feet to hire him rather than let Pioli builder a winner.

Frankly they are better talented team than cincy if quinn can improve on the promise he showed this yr.

Cinci is also a better team than they showed this year when Palmer returns as the QB.

Cinci is also a better team than they showed this year when Palmer returns as the QB.

I wouldn't bank on that. Isn't Palmer try to decide whether or not to have Tommy John's surgery?

extreme demands, LOL

Pioli knows his new coach wont be Belicheck, and he prob wants 100% control over what goes on, both w/ coaches, and w/ players

and teh inept browns call it extreme, and choose mangini over pioli

im sorry for browns fans

I'm sorry for the steelers because Mangini will concoct some controversy urting the steelers whether it be tampering, etc;)

What an interesting world we live in when a completely inept organization would pick a treacherous lout over a guy who helped buy the groceries for one of pro sports' greatest franchises.

Maybe Scotty will be sticking around a little longer than we first thought...

What an interesting world we live in when a completely inept organization would pick a treacherous lout over a guy who helped buy the groceries for one of pro sports' greatest franchises.

Maybe Scotty will be sticking around a little longer than we first thought...

I find it hard to believe that Randy lerner would chose Eric Mangini over Scott Pioli, frankly until its announced everything is up for grabs.. Im just wondering, why do the media circles dismiss that Pioli may return to new england.

I hope Pioli stays and if it is just about money I believe he will. The fact that Lerner is even considering Ratgini is all you need to know about that organization.

I hope Pioli stays and if it is just about money I believe he will. The fact that Lerner is even considering Ratgini is all you need to know about that organization.

Sure, If Mangini had one year left on his Jets contract when he was fired, he gets that offset (presumably) by what he would earn in Cleveland. So he might be willing to work for less money in Cleveland knowing he would get the full amount and it costs Lerner less in the long run, at least for one year...

The Dawg Punf collectively throws up in their mouth ... sad.

I can't stand Ratgini, Mangina (my favorite), Tubby Ratfink.....or any of the myriad and deserved names for this piece of slime that is not worthy to clean with his tongue the clingers on Tomass's sprinkled choclate donut passing arsehole.

That being said, remember that BB did not fare that well in his first HC job. Maybe the traitorous one will learn from his mistakes and a fresh start will do him a world of good. I hope not.

Good find, this is the 1st article I've seen that has staying w/the Pats as an option:
but Pioli is still weighing his options, which include staying in New England, a source close to the negotiations told The Plain Dealer.
We've thought it all along here but it's never been mentioned as an option on any article I've read on the matter.

That's only possible when you can get players, cut deadwood, get a favorable schedule, convince your owner to pay the dead money that will happen and get a quarterback that can get the job done for you. Taking a look at that Browns team and remembering that it will be competing for a limited number of 3-4 players that are NFL savvy, I'd expect it to take some time to get that team ready to be anything more than a flash-in-the-pan like the team was 2 seasons ago.

Not a bad assesment on your part:
A source close to Pioli said he headed into the Browns interview with serious reservations. Multiple league sources have pointed to squandered Browns draft picks over the past few years -- including the third, fifth and seventh in 2009. The team is headed for salary cap trouble after giving huge bonuses to free agents over the past several years, and the contracts of a number of players are up after 2009.

One league source noted that the roster is in bad shape after the reign of fired general manager Phil Savage, and that only one current defensive player -- Shaun Rogers -- would be good enough to start for the Ravens or Steelers. Another said neither linebacker Beau Bell nor Martin Rucker, two players the Browns traded up to select in the 2008, will be able to cut it in the NFL.

King said that Mangini is in the lead as well today on NBC:
ProFootballTalk.com - KING ON MANGINI: “THE LEADER IN THE CLUBHOUSE BY FAR”

KING ON MANGINI: “THE LEADER IN THE CLUBHOUSE BY FAR”
Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2009, 10:08 p.m. EST

Though former Jets coach Eric Mangini is only being pursued by one of the five teams with a head-coaching vacancy, he’s apparently being pursued heavily.

During halftime of Saturday night’s Colts-Chargers game, NBC’s Peter King characterized Mangini as “the leader in the clubhouse, by far” for the Browns head-coaching job.

This lends credence to Chris Mortensen’s report from earlier in the day that Mangini is the favorite to get the job, and that George Kokinis would join him as the G.M.

Last edited:
What extreme demands could they be talking about? It doesn't sound like salary, though if you're going to bring in someone to run your organization, you might as well pay him well.

Pioli can't ask for more than complete control over all phases of the football operation. How is that extreme? That's the job description. If it's not, then the GM can't do it right anyway.

That's only possible when you can get players, cut deadwood, get a favorable schedule, convince your owner to pay the dead money that will happen and get a quarterback that can get the job done for you.
Nope. It is always possible if you have a smart personnel man and a good owner.

After 2000 SB win, the Ravens cut about 19 of their 22 starters and were competitive within 2 years without a franchise QB. Key is a good personnel man and a good coach in turning the team around, and the personnel man is most important. Not that a coach cannot be a good personnel man.

You can always get players. The league is full of players tht were cut and picked up for short money that turn out to be good. You can always cut deadwood. A good QB is a good thing to have, for sure, but again it is a case of being personnel smart and getting one with the resources you have.
That's why I say a GOOD personnel man can turn a team around in two years.

If you have to convince the owner, that is a big problem. That's why I said having a good owner is more important than good players when you take over a dud team. You can change the players, you cannot change the owner.

The draft is designed to help bad teams. Some teams remain bad for years, and the problem is at the top. A bad owner negates everything below.

Nope. It is always possible if you have a smart personnel man and a good owner.

After 2000 SB win, the Ravens cut about 19 of their 22 starters and were competitive within 2 years without a franchise QB. Key is a good personnel man and a good coach in turning the team around, and the personnel man is most important. Not that a coach cannot be a good personnel man.

You can always get players. The league is full of players tht were cut and picked up for short money that turn out to be good. You can always cut deadwood. A good QB is a good thing to have, for sure, but again it is a case of being personnel smart and getting one with the resources you have.
That's why I say a GOOD personnel man can turn a team around in two years.

If you have to convince the owner, that is a big problem. That's why I said having a good owner is more important than good players when you take over a dud team. You can change the players, you cannot change the owner.

The draft is designed to help bad teams. Some teams remain bad for years, and the problem is at the top. A bad owner negates everything below.

Ummm.... thank you for making my point for me. You do realize you did exactly that, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back