PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Kraft on EEI re Schefter "apology" story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually talking about media members. We were absolutely labeled as cheaters by the nation because of them, though I admittedly don't know how much impact they had on the actual punishment.

I never stated what "will" happen, but what could and does often happen when people lie publicly.

You think that what people say doesn't matter, and, I guess, that the laws designed to provide legal recourse against such are unnecessary. That's cool.

No, I didn't say what people say doesn't matter. I said what meatheads say doesn't matter. Big difference. These steroid popping meatheads say dumb stuff. Ty Law, Seymour, Bruschi, even Wilfork said some stuff. Tom Jackson: "They hate their coach." That comes from Tedy Bruschi popping off. It just doesn't matter.

The media prior to Goodell's punishment was universally signaling that the Patriots should have a 4th rounder taken away. Goodell was not cowed by the media at all. Had nothing to do with that.

Three possibilities:

1. Shefter got the story wrong about the public apology

2. Mankins' agent is lying

3. Someone other than Kraft called Mankins after the conversation and said he should issue the apology now rather than after he signed.

For me, the crazy part about the conversation related by Kraft is that Mankins told him he would apologize publicly after he signed or signed with another team. Either Mankins is totally out of his mind for saying something like that or Kraft is confused.

Please, someone, put that statement into a conversation for me:

"Mr. Kraft, I'm sorry I said you guys went back on your word. I thought blah, blah, blah..."

"Apology accepted. If you could make that in public to let people know that the way to negotiate is to maintain civility, I would appreciate it."

"Yes, I agree. i will do that publicly, but only after I sign a contract."

Huh? Say what?

2. Mankins' agent is lying

I did a Google search for Frank Bauer ... older pre 2009 stories.

It would have made for a very cluttered thread so I did not make one.

Through the years it seems like Frank likes playing good cop - bad cop with owners.

Why he does it is anyones guess but he's picked the wrong owner to play that game.

I encourage others to Google "Frank Bauer" with the quotations and search for older stories

... somewhere in those stories I think some light will be shed.

The media seems to be letting Bauer escape the scrutiny here IMO.

Last edited:
Please, someone, put that statement into a conversation for me:

"Mr. Kraft, I'm sorry I said you guys went back on your word. I thought blah, blah, blah..."

"Apology accepted. If you could make that in public to let people know that the way to negotiate is to maintain civility, I would appreciate it."

"Yes, I agree. i will do that publicly, but only after I sign a contract."

Huh? Say what?

Actually you dont have to use a pretend conversation, go to weei and listen to the Kraft interview.

Kraft's word has got to be considered the truth, otherwise he would never have been able to rise to the level of success he has. I'm self-employed, and believe you me, even at my much lower level than Kraft, a man's word is his bond and if people start to question your word or your business ethics, it's all over.

There is a world of difference between being a shrewd negotiator, a hardline businessman, and a shyster just looking for a deal at any price.

Kraft seems like a good guy, but the idea that successful businessmen are honest seems to have been completely blown out of the water in recent years.

Actually you dont have to use a pretend conversation, go to weei and listen to the Kraft interview.

I did.

That's why I wrote that.

What Mankins is purported to have said is bat**** crazy. It makes me wonder what Kraft's response was. But Kraft didn't reveal what his response was.

I wonder why.

Re: Kraft on EEI

Kraft says he never had a deal in place Mankins....says Mankins did apologize to him and Mankins stated to Kraft that he would make it clear that his prior comments about the Patriots were uncalled for and untrue and he would publicly clear the air when he (Mankins) either signed with the Patriots OR with another team. Kraft says Shefter's story is a boldface fib.
It's clear that Mankins camp is who leaked this
Logan may be a man of principle (??) but I'm not so sure his agent is.

On the early news this AM (WCVB) they reported that Mankins had apologized to Kraft, the deal was on, but later Kraft called Mankins and asked that he also publicly apologize. Mankins then refused and said the deal was off and that he no longer wanted to play here. Kraft's story makes more sense; I found it a little hard to believe that Kraft would call him back later and request Logan publicly apologize, it sounded like a condition and it didn't sound like something Kraft would do. I don't see Bob Kraft as an afterthought kinda guy, especially with a situation that's messy to begin with. Kraft's story has a better fit to me.

Last edited:
Re: Kraft on EEI

ownership does not get involved in deals or make commitments to players

This is to me the most important and interesting thing said in the interview. The rest is all "he said, he said".

This puts the lie to the "Krafty is cheap" nonsense and makes perfect sense to me. Why would Bob Kraft be involved in actual negotiations for this or any other player given the complexity of salary cap management? And why would a guy running multiple multi-million dollar businesses micro-manage to that extent? He'd drive himself crazy and screw up all over the place. That's why you hire people to manage your business. And he hired the best.

I CALLED THIS ONE right out of the gate. This story had bullsh!t written all over it.

Mankins agent was d!cking with everyone because he was afraid that exactly what happened, would happen. BB would have pulled out another JAG linemen, plug him in, and basically make the whole Mankins drama irrelevant.

They did exactly that.

Last edited:
I did.

That's why I wrote that.

What Mankins is purported to have said is bat**** crazy. It makes me wonder what Kraft's response was. But Kraft didn't reveal what his response was.

I wonder why.

Gee....I dunno....maybe because he's eons smarter than Mankins' agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST