PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
And another reason why to not rely on a fanbase for predicting the future (certainly someone will claim him).;) I admit I got it wrong as well. But we really butcher our analyses and predictions (i.e. Wendell only plays Center, Cannon is he best option at Guard, et cetera), with few exceptions.

I did not expect him to get claimed, and was surprised how many seemed to think he would. Blount undoubtedly has skills. But he proved more trouble than he was worth. I have yet to see a single comment defending him or saying anything good about him. His ex-teammates' attitudes seem to range from indifference to "good riddance".

Blount may get a shot if a playoff team gets desperate, but not many GMs will want to risk it.

So the Patriots won't be signing him.
They would have claimed him on waivers and got the option on next year if they were interested.

Is that really the case? By that logic, wouldn't that same rationale apply to every team? So therefore, he's not signing anywhere?

What are the benefits of not placing a waiver claim? I don't know the cheapest salary for him, but I would bet that someone will pick him up for minimum pay (so smaller cap hit). And perhaps if he did get claimed off of waivers, his salary would be guaranteed...Miguel?

I haven't been following him, but has his season been mediocre?

What are the benefits of not placing a waiver claim? I don't know the cheapest salary for him, but I would bet that someone will pick him up for minimum pay (so smaller cap hit). And perhaps if he did get claimed off of waivers, his salary would be guaranteed...Miguel?

Blount had a salary of $900,000 so a team acquiring him would be responsible for $317,647. If signed to a minimum deal for a player with his experience his salary would be $730,000 (6/17ths of $730,000 is $257,647). The difference between the two is $60,000.

So I guess we would have claimed him if we wanted him? Was really hoping we'd grab him he'd be a great 1-2 punch with Gray if Gray isn't a one hit wonder.

I know he was here last year but do people really expect BB to cut a guy to bring in a guy that was cut for walking out on his team especially with how this team has come together after that first month?

I know he was here last year but do people really expect BB to cut a guy to bring in a guy that was cut for walking out on his team especially with how this team has come together after that first month?
Corey Dillon and Randy Moss quit on their teams.

So I guess we would have claimed him if we wanted him? Was really hoping we'd grab him he'd be a great 1-2 punch with Gray if Gray isn't a one hit wonder.

Who were you hoping the Pats would cut to make room for Bount?

If you cut White, you are giving up on a 4th round draft pick with promise in the running and passing games. If you cut Bolden, you have a big hole to fill on specials teams and a player who can reliably back up both Gray and Vereen.

It's a zero sum game. If you add somebody to the roster, somebody else has to go. Belichick has to consider the 53 man roster, the active game day roster, special teams, and upside potential for 2015.

I haven't been following him, but has his season been mediocre?

I wouldn't use the word "mediocre."

Blount's season has been a complete joke.

13 pages of this, lol....Blount is done

Who were you hoping the Pats would cut to make room for Bount?

If you cut White, you are giving up on a 4th round draft pick with promise in the running and passing games. If you cut Bolden, you have a big hole to fill on specials teams and a player who can reliably back up both Gray and Vereen.

It's a zero sum game. If you add somebody to the roster, somebody else has to go. Belichick has to consider the 53 man roster, the active game day roster, special teams, and upside potential for 2015.
Id make up an injury for White to stash him. I'm pretty sure BB has done that before.

Well, if I had to guess it looks like Blount being waived should have no effect on the comp process. Since Browner (barring injury) will only play in 10 (10 GS) games this year while Blount was in 11 (0 GS) for Pitt. With compareable APY salaries should still cancel each other out. Lafell 10 games (3 GS) and Spikes with 10 (6 GS) would seem to be on track to do the same. Fletcher has played in 10 games (3 GS) for our farm team in TB so it would seem that would be on track for an extra 6th (maybe 7th?) and of course a 3rd for Talib with 10 games (10 GS).

As far as signing Blount, meh. I'm just happy no one claimed him and threw a wrench into our draft.

Well, if I had to guess it looks like Blount being waived should have no effect on the comp process. Since Browner (barring injury) will only play in 10 (10 GS) games this year while Blount was in 11 (0 GS) for Pitt. With compareable APY salaries should still cancel each other out. Lafell 10 games (3 GS) and Spikes with 10 (6 GS) would seem to be on track to do the same. Fletcher has played in 10 games (3 GS) for our farm team in TB so it would seem that would be on track for an extra 6th (maybe 7th?) and of course a 3rd for Talib with 10 games (10 GS).

As far as signing Blount, meh. I'm just happy no one claimed him and threw a wrench into our draft.

Compensatory draft pick determinations are based on the salary, playing time and postseason honors of the free agents each team lost during the previous offseason, and that's IF the team lost more free agents than they brought in.

To take it one step further, we signed one of the biggest free agent acquisitions of the entire FA period in Darrelle Revis, so I'm not thinking that we get anything better than a 6th round pick or so, since that will surely cancel out the Aqib Talib effect.

The other guys are nothing more than "meh" guys that we lost...Blount, Fletcher, (Spikes would be the exception to some degree). Considering that we've added LaFell and Browner to boot tells me not to expect anything more than a late round pick...maybe two at best.

In my opinion, I think there's a chance we don't get anything at all.

EDIT: ctpatsfan77 states that Revis won't count against the formula since he was not a FA on the first day of the new league year, so with that understood, I'd be happy with a 4th or 5th rounder.

Last edited:
Is that really the case? By that logic, wouldn't that same rationale apply to every team? So therefore, he's not signing anywhere?

Yes, that guarantee would transfer. OTOH, his salary is so close to the vet minimum ($900K for all of 2014) that it would barely matter.

The only way I see Blount signing with the Patriots is if for some unfortunate reason Jonas Gray gets injured and has to go on IR. Blount should at least know how the playbook works so the learning curve wouldn't be much of a factor.

Compensatory draft pick determinations are based on the salary, playing time and postseason honors of the free agents each team lost during the previous offseason, and that's IF the team lost more free agents than they brought in.

The obligatory reminder, for those not aware: while the comp formula does include playing time and postseason honors, it's at least 90% the average annual value of the contract.

To take it one step further, we signed one of the biggest free agent acquisitions of the entire FA period in Darrelle Revis, so I'm not thinking that we get anything better than a 6th round pick or so, since that will surely cancel out the Aqib Talib effect.

Revis should not count as a FA signed. In order to count as a FA signed, a player must become a free agent on the first day of the league year. Revis was released after the 2014 league year began, so he shouldn't count against the Patriots.

The obligatory reminder, for those not aware: while the comp formula does include playing time and postseason honors, it's at least 90% the average annual value of the contract.

Revis should not count as a FA signed. In order to count as a FA signed, a player must become a free agent on the first day of the league year. Revis was released after the 2014 league year began, so he shouldn't count against the Patriots.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, very helpful ctpatsfan77.

Thanks for that tidbit.

I wondered myself, and actually looked through the NFL rules, but couldn't find anything.

I'm not sure about that. They've gone out of their way to not give Bolden any snaps even after Ridley went down.

Probably just semantics, but I think a more accurate statement is, "NE sees more value of a decent back to both Gray and Vereen who can be active because he is a contributor on special teams." :)
Yes that is entirely semantics. The patriots like Bolden for his ST contributions

The other guys are nothing more than "meh" guys that we lost...Blount, Fletcher, (Spikes would be the exception to some degree). Considering that we've added LaFell and Browner to boot tells me not to expect anything more than a late round pick...maybe two at best.

In my opinion, I think there's a chance we don't get anything at all.

EDIT: ctpatsfan77 states that Revis won't count against the formula since he was not a FA on the first day of the new league year, so with that understood, I'd be happy with a 4th or 5th rounder.
Actually Miguel tweeted that that was his projection (a 3rd and a 6th) quite some time ago . I followed a blogger named Adamjt13 after Miguel turned me on to him many years ago and he had deciphered (for the most part) the formula for awarding those picks (the NFL has never released the formulatic equation). He routinely got between 24-26 of the 32 awarded right AND in the correct draft position. That blogger hasn't posted his predictions for the last 3 or 4 years from what I can tell but his template is still widely used.

As ctpatsfan77 stated only true FA's count in the formula and AAV is the main determining factor. 32 picks are awarded and the threshold of the AAV climbs slightly every year but Fletcher's 1.2 AAV should qualify for possibly a 6th more likely a 7th. The Chung signing would offset that, but as is the case with Revis he was also released. Talib's 9.5 AAV plus a full 16 game season make a 3rd very likely and a 4th at least awarded. I say that without total confidence with last years 4th a head scratcher as it was widely believed we would get only a 6th.

The only reason I took much interest in this thread was because of Blount's inclusion in the comp mix. I didn't think we'd put in a claim for him. I followed it more to see if another team did and especially after Miguels post (#170) and he wrote this: "and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team." Emphasis added by me.
I take the above as if Blount is claimed that he will not count in the comp pick calculation for the Patriots".

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-the-2015-patriots-draft-positioning.1113058/

Last edited:
Id make up an injury for White to stash him. I'm pretty sure BB has done that before.
The problem with doing that is that they can't practise. So you loose a couple of months of valuable development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back