PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills vs Patriots Replay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Jets/Dolphins not chosen for NFL Replay? :mad:

While there would be much schadenfreude in New England with a replay of that train rex, and even though NYC is still the biggest television market; the answer is no.

NFL Network Schedule

Last edited:
Re: Pats/Bils game on NFLN replay now

Good grief, I said "sometimes". I didn't say that is what he was doing!

I don't think taunting should be a penalty, but I remember being annoyed after that play because he celebrated before he scored. No good can come of that.

desean-jackson-drops-fumble-1-yard-line.jpg

Caught the game on earlier today. What a great comeback. I thought the reffing was questionable at times. The unnecessary roughness on Brady? Come on refs, he's still a football player, that was hardly "driving the quarterback into the ground." Also the pass interference on Antwuan Molden I thought was pretty ticky tack.

The call on the Brady roughing was the correct call by the NEW rule instituted this season. I think it's a stupid new rule but Omissioner Goodell is bound and determined to mutate this league into the National Flag-football League

Comments on penalties:

1. On the PI on Molden, I watched it over and over and, yes, the ball was underthrown which caused the receiver to slow down to have a chance to catch it, which resulted in Molden running into him. However, prior to that contact Molden reached out his right arm and pushed the receiver. In slow motion you couldn't actually see what effect the contact had, but in real time the receiver moved suddenly backwards in response to the contact. I can't imagine a referee seeing that as incidental contact.

2. On the silly call of unnecessary roughness, when Brady was wandering around more or less in the direction of the guy who intercepted the ball, the Buffalo player "guilty" of the infraction used one hand to shove Brady, who fell to the ground. That was a ridiculous call. The purpose of the rule is to protect the quarterback who is just running down the field with everyone else, a perfect target for a 350-lb. lineman who wants to take out the opposition's most important player. This didn't come remotely close.

3. However, earlier in the same play the refs missed a serious infraction by the Bills. Brady's pass to Welker was off target (just like the pass on the previous play, which had Welker upset and Brady pissed), Welker reached out to try and get it, the ball went up in the air, at which point Welker was drilled by the Bills defender, helmet to the back of Welker's head. Welker's head snapped forward and he collapsed to the ground motionless for several seconds before rousing himself to run down the field and make the tackle (amazing!). Classic example of a hit on a defenseless receiver, which it would have been even if it hadn't been helmet-to-helmet (the back of Welker's helmet in this case). Seems like exactly what the NFL is trying to prevent. Should have been a 15-yard penalty with the Patriots retaining possession.

Surprised no one has noticed that play in that light until now.

3. However, earlier in the same play the refs missed a serious infraction by the Bills. Brady's pass to Welker was off target (just like the pass on the previous play, which had Welker upset and Brady pissed), Welker reached out to try and get it, the ball went up in the air, at which point Welker was drilled by the Bills defender, helmet to the back of Welker's head. Welker's head snapped forward and he collapsed to the ground motionless for several seconds before rousing himself to run down the field and make the tackle (amazing!). Classic example of a hit on a defenseless receiver, which it would have been even if it hadn't been helmet-to-helmet (the back of Welker's helmet in this case). Seems like exactly what the NFL is trying to prevent. Should have been a 15-yard penalty with the Patriots retaining possession.

Surprised no one has noticed that play in that light until now.

Yeah, that's how it looked to me. To add insult to injury we had a pick reversed on the same call being made against McCourty on what I thought was a proper play.

Lighten up. High-stepping and a high level of execution are not mutually exclusive. See Sanders, Deion. I hate when people try to characterize the "Patriot Way" as acting like a faceless drone Boy Scout. You can have fun, have a personality, and occasionally even show up the opponent (although I don't think that's what Hernandez was doing) and still be a great Patriot.

I would agree that it isn't a certain 1 to 1 relationship for poorer execution (though risking a penalty simply because you want to have "fun" seems to make it a certainty), but it absolutely is not a 1 to 1 relationship for better execution. It does not in any way further the goal of winning, therefore, it is frowned upon by the Patriot way. It was ok in the Pete Carroll days (Chris Canty comes to mind), and rooting for that kind of team was significantly more difficult.

For you and the 3 or 4 other posters I see that seem to like the AH's antics, the question I pose to you is this: is it wrong to require players to keep focused on the goal line, never risk a taunting penalty or the chance the play ends up going wrong, save the celebrations until after the play is completed, keep it small and not directed at the opposition?? If so you then must believe that the near non existent display of these type antics in the last 10 years had no bearing on the Patriot reign. I strongly disagree with you all on this. You hear Brian Waters -- the latest veteran come here to say this -- say (paraphrasing) 'this organization is about a high level professionalism and a pure focus on winning'. He speaks of how impressed he is with the Patriot Way (again, paraphrasing). Again, you think this attitude that permeates the organization from top to bottom does not need to frown upon these antics (especially while the clock is running)? Again, we strongly disagree on this.

"When you win say nothing, when you lose say even less" is an attitude that has served this team well. I'll take that over "lightening up" every day. I suspect a majority of players and fans would too when it means they repeatedly get to play/watch football in January.

If so you then must believe that the near non existent display of these type antics in the last 10 years had no bearing on the Patriot reign.

I take it you have never watched Deion Branch play, particularly during his first tour of duty here (and during the Patriots SB runs in 2003 and 04).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News