PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick article

How could this be... the game has passed him by?!?!?
/s (s is for $α⩔₳₲∉!!!)
----------

Interesting article... thanks for posting it... the statistical break down of the coverage is an interesting insight into the defensive game I think not a lot of people (including myself) fully understand... a glimpse into what they are doing, and maybe why they are doing it...

I do have to say though, i wish there are times that they switch thing up at a quicker pace when what we are doing obviously isn't working... but maybe thats limited to the talent of the available players at any given time...

And here's quite a different face of Belichick - Jim Brown comments:

Brown: I don't compare myself with anyone. Let me tell you about
someone I do admire. Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots
has contributed more to the work I surround myself with than any
black athlete in modern times--financially, intellectually, every
way. He's been in the prisons with me. He's met gang members in
my home; he's met gang members in Cleveland [where Belichick
coached the Browns from 1991 to '95]. He's put up money. He's
opened up areas of education for us very quietly and very
strongly. Imagine what would happen if Michael Jordan did the
same thing.

And here's quite a different face of Belichick - Jim Brown comments:

Brown: I don't compare myself with anyone. Let me tell you about
someone I do admire. Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots
has contributed more to the work I surround myself with than any
black athlete in modern times--financially, intellectually, every
way.
He's been in the prisons with me. He's met gang members in
my home; he's met gang members in Cleveland [where Belichick
coached the Browns from 1991 to '95]. He's put up money. He's
opened up areas of education for us very quietly and very
strongly. Imagine what would happen if Michael Jordan did the
same thing.

That interview with Jim Brown was a very good read. Thanks for posting it. I’d urge everybody to good read it through in its entirety.

If you do you’ll find that the context makes his statement about Belichick even stronger. It was his response after he was asked what current athlete he admires, compared with Bill Russell or himself. In the conversation up to that point the focus had been black athletes, and his answer was BB. I‘m afraid that juxtaposition will whip some of our resident Belichick haters into a real lather.

That interview with Jim Brown was a very good read. Thanks for posting it. I’d urge everybody to good read it through in its entirety.

If you do you’ll find that the context makes his statement about Belichick even stronger. It was his response after he was asked what current athlete he admires, compared with Bill Russell or himself. In the conversation up to that point the focus had been black athletes, and his answer was BB. I‘m afraid that juxtaposition will whip some of our resident Belichick haters into a real lather.
Right. We all need to praise every move Bill makes on the field because he contributes to charities off the field.

the guy who wrote this article is an assistant high school football coach - yes, and guy who coaches 14-15 year olds. Also, he fails to dive further into the #s on Belichick, yes, even the defensive #s surrounding Bill the Coach's "mystique" must be examined through the pre and post Brady lense. Brady allowed Bill the coach to do certain things on defense.
He cites %stats of certain types of defenses vs Tagavailoa, Allen, and Burrow....but doesn't mention Bill the Coach's defense is OFER vs all those quarterbacks sans Brady. so, it freaking fantastic that Bill the coach has a defense devoid of stars that can play multiple ways....wake us when said defense actually plays well against a non rookie or scrub QB and the Patriots actually win the game.

Interesting, that Belichick, the coach of the Browns, 30 years after Jim Brown retired respected Brown enough to do all those things. While the owner of the Browns fined Jim Brown over “dirty dozen”, resulting in Jim Brown quitting football. That same Art Modell was still the owner of the Browns when Belichick was supporting Jim Brown’s causes, but was he involved, nope. Modell cared only about the money, players were a commodity to make him more money.

Makes you wonder how BB cant stop the Bills or Bengals.
Not really... The old axiom applies ⇉ Styles make fights.

but then again, ymmv... I'm not one of those who is looking for any perceived flaw in his work to try and tear him apart... Like some here constantly and consistently do.

Last edited:
They are 10-20 against teams .500 and above since Tom Brady left. The author also used poor examples with the Pats going 0-3 against the Bills and Bengals this season with both QB’s shredding the defense.

Let’s win some games against good teams before writing pieces like this.

Not really... The old axiom applies ⇉ Styles make fights.

but then again, ymmv... I'm not one of those who is looking for any perceived flaw in his work to try and tear him apart... Like some here constantly and consistently do.

All these BB feel good stories seem kinda hollow without real wins as back up. Buffalo has owned the Pats since Brady left. The Bengals passed for 375 yards in their victory vs the Pats. Used to be that great QBs got shut down vs NE. Top WRs were basically invisible the whole day.

Like Rex Ryan, the ranking of BBs defense is what's most important anymore. Thats where all the energy has gone to keep up appearances. No post season wins, but did you see that DVOA? Rex ignored the offense when he was HC and low and behold, look at the 2022 NE offense. What a joke.

All these BB feel good stories seem kinda hollow without real wins as back up. Buffalo has owned the Pats since Brady left. The Bengals passed for 375 yards in their victory vs the Pats. Used to be that great QBs got shut down vs NE. Top WRs were basically invisible the whole day.

Like Rex Ryan, the ranking of BBs defense is what's most important anymore. Thats where all the energy has gone to keep up appearances. No post season wins, but did you see that DVOA? Rex ignored the offense when he was HC and low and behold, look at the 2022 NE offense. What a joke.
Case and point...

how did ordway put it? thanks for making my point for me.

They are 10-20 against teams .500 and above since Tom Brady left. The author also used poor examples with the Pats going 0-3 against the Bills and Bengals this season with both QB’s shredding the defense.

Let’s win some games against good teams before writing pieces like this.
I'm sorry, you don't get to remove 19 years from his resume... ****s real bro, it happened, no matter how much you want cherry pick

the whole point is the evolution of his coaching philosophy... not that hes always right, but that hes innovating defensive concepts as a whole... does it always work? no... but afaik only one team has gone unbeaten/untied in the history of the game

Last edited:
Right. We all need to praise every move Bill makes on the field because he contributes to charities off the field.
And you wonder why you're met with derision and hostility.

That isn't remotely close to what was being stated. But then, you take offense when people take you to task when you post garbage.

Interesting, that Belichick, the coach of the Browns, 30 years after Jim Brown retired respected Brown enough to do all those things. While the owner of the Browns fined Jim Brown over “dirty dozen”, resulting in Jim Brown quitting football. That same Art Modell was still the owner of the Browns when Belichick was supporting Jim Brown’s causes, but was he involved, nope. Modell cared only about the money, players were a commodity to make him more money.

You know. It wouldn't surprise me if that was one of Modell's reasons for pulling the rug out from under Belichick during that last season..

So you can't respect him as a man who does good things unless he has a winning record every year?

And they crawl out from under the rocks, and all of them predictable as ever.

So you can't respect him as a man who does good things unless he has a winning record every year?
Kraft needs to know about this DVOA.

Might make a nice banner.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back