PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Bill Belichick: A Football Life" documentary on NFL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I read the terms of membership extensively ;) I can't recall if this is a violation.

Please excuse me if it is.

A full download for all those who couldn't watch (see: live stream) last night.

A Football Life: Bill Belichick (Part 2/2)

(EDIT: sorry for the 40 second wait)

Last edited:
this Documentary did not move me like the "Brady 6" did.

A Football Life- lacked the panache that was seen in Brady 6. I guess it is unfair to compare the 2. I however preferred the Brady 6 documentary.

I liked Bills don't get me wrong. I had extremely HIGH Expectations b/c of how well the Brady 6 turned out

The Brady 6 was a bunch of talking heads talking about something years after the occurrence and giving it their own spin.

This program was actual stuff we never get to see and hear while it was actually happening.

While it didn't have the Disney ending of Brady 6, I'll take the actual source history over an analyzed-years later version of history anyday.

Different people have different opinions.

Last edited:
It kills me to hear that BB had planned to limit Wes' snaps in that last regular season game. Bad timing. He would have played one quarter and then be done for the game. That sucks.

I enjoyed 1 more than 2. I don't think they did a good job with it. Covered too much territory IMO, I would rather have seen more of less with at least 3 hours. One thing I came away with from all of this is that Bill has less power than I gave him credit for. He's not always the genius out there and somethimes his genius doesn't get translated to the field.

That was a very fine portrait of the coach, showing depth, humor and pathos. I dont think you can compare the documentary against the Brady 6, since this one was much more biographical.

All I can say is that I appreciate BB even more, and yes, as long suspected, he is very human and more than interesting. I would love to spend a day golfing or fishing with Bill as it would be both entertaining and instructive.

Couple of thoughts after reading the posts ...... I agree there is a bond between Brady and BB like no other, and I do believe that the two will retire from the game together, unless......Mallet becomes TB2

It was interesting seeing him take measure of the team, and realize early on that this was team was lacking in courage, commitment and resiliency. I remember the comments from the start of 2010 that there was a poor locker room mentality and the documentary pinpointed a couple of areas where the chemistry wasn't working:

Randy - love him dearly but he came across as too much into having fun. and not just because he was the party organizer, but couple of the little things like trying to pull BB's hood over his eyes at the end of the game....

The defense was not together and more importantly not following BB's plan, I remember at the time Brady almost shouting "if we follow what coach tells us we will win". Some of the lecture room shots showed that concentration was lacking, and the Hearns v Haggler bit was stunning in its relevancy and the fact that they then went out and laid a stinker.

One poster mentioned an awkwardness between BB and Kraft. I saw it more as BB being mindful that Kraft is his employer and keeping a respectful distance. I think it possible that BB wants to stay at Gillette for as long as possible and he is managing upward accordingly.

Finally I found it almost unbelievable how prescient BB is. I know that the documentary is the result of brilliant editing but he is so damn sharp in knowing his teams strengths and weaknesses to the point of being prophetic.
Thank goodness he is in Foxborough and nowhere else.

And the lasting image is not the pirate on roller skates (that's a close second) but his visit to his father's grave. He is a respectful man with a very close tie to tradition, history and resolute at being the best he can be.

Last edited:
That show was beautifully shot, produced & edited. Kudos to NFL Films. That was truly great stuff.

Seeing more behind the scenes, real-life BB in part 2 was great.

But I do wish we could've seen that game-planning session btwn TB & BB for the Colts.

The most captivating moment is when Belichick says he's thinking of holding Welker out of the Texans game. I gasped/shrieked. That's how close we were to having some semblance of a postseason.

The 4th & 2 stuff was really well edited and put-together. I can't get over how obvious it was that Faulk picked up that first down and the ref overthought the hell out of it. That play really derailed our season - combined with the Welker injury.

The candid BB & TB conversation during the Saints game was also one of the best scenes in the whole program.

It's also so clear how the trials of the 2009 season created the resolve the 2010 team had, including the leadership roles that guys like Brady, Wilfork, etc. take on.

What's demoralizing is that the 2010 team did literally everything right from a chemistry perspective - and all it took was two stupid plays (Brady's INT and Crump's drop) to deter what probably would've been a Super Bowl trip (I only say trip b/c I'm not sure we'd have beaten the Pack, but I know we would've been there).

Its not demoralizing. Even with consistent leadership and play, its hard to do. There are variables that no one accounted for. The ball has a mind of its own. GB last year was pretty lucky to face the teams it did to win the SB. Might have been very different if you where in the SB or the saints where completely heathy and they had to face us. BB , is doing the perfect thing.
Created a structured, disciplined, and professional machine of a ball club, so the variables are minimized. Consistent performance.... do you job.
Yes, crazy things will happen to test his theory, but you can't argue, .. its impressive and working so far, and gives you the best chance to win.

Its not demoralizing. Even with consistent leadership and play, its hard to do. There are variables that no one accounted for. The ball has a mind of its own. GB last year was pretty lucky to face the teams it did to win the SB. Might have been very different if you where in the SB or the saints where completely heathy and they had to face us. BB , is doing the perfect thing.
Created a structured, disciplined, and professional machine of a ball club, so the variables are minimized. Consistent performance.... do you job.
Yes, crazy things will happen to test his theory, but you can't argue, .. its impressive and working so far, and gives you the best chance to win.

Good post..it really does come down to luck a lot. You can have the best team ever, but if a ball bounces left instead of right, you could be screwed.

Good post..it really does come down to luck a lot. You can have the best team ever, but if a ball bounces left instead of right, you could be screwed.

Thanks, yeah, like the Giants in your Super Bowl loss. You would have beat them maybe 19 out of 20 games. But something weird happened, that 1 win for them just snuck in there, and the ball didn't go your way. You will always be the better team, and should have won, but you just can't account for that stuff.
BB philosophy of creating consistency and excellence in a chaotic battle really does give you the best chance, and his numbers prove that.

Last edited:
BB (with uber serious tone and look): "You know what's really p*****g me off? It's been two weeks since daylight saving. And I still can't set the damn clock in my car :confused:"

:rofl: :rofl:

Thanks, yeah, like the Giants in your Super Bowl loss. You would have beat them maybe 19 out of 20 games. But something weird happened, that 1 win for them just snuck in there, and the ball didn't go your way. You will always be the better team, and should have won, but you just can't account for that stuff.
BB philosophy of creating consistency and excellence in a chaotic battle really does give you the best chance, and his numbers prove that.

You aint kidding brah, but thats the way it goes. Thats why its funny when people say "they havent won anything in years" but really, the chances of winning a SB are pretty slim. A bad bounce, a dropped pass, a blown whistle, anything can change the outcome of a game..part of the reason why its fun to watch. Its not just the lakers and yanks every year winning a championship.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm just wondering if anyone else was slightly underwhelmed by A Football Life?

Thought it was enjoyable enough, but to me there wasn't nearly as much substance to it as I expected--I was looking for more gameplanning, more X's and O's, more discussion of specific Pats players. Instead there was a lot of speeches to the team kind of stuff, which I just didn't find that enthralling.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm just wondering if anyone else was slightly underwhelmed by A Football Life?

Thought it was enjoyable enough, but to me there wasn't nearly as much substance to it as I expected--I was looking for more gameplanning, more X's and O's, more discussion of specific Pats players. Instead there was a lot of speeches to the team kind of stuff, which I just didn't find that enthralling.

I was a little underwhelmed with it. Part 2 was meatier than Part 1. More football and football history. I'm glad they covered the Naval Academy stuff in Part 2. There was a Belichick segment on some show before the Giant's SB that went more in-depth about that time in BB's life. Roger Staubach and other Navy football players talked about a young BB working as an assistant to his Dad. During practices, Steve B confirming with little Bill what the next play was. The little kid knew the playbook better than the players. Part 2 did touch on the influence of the military teamwork - no one is above the unit, etc. After seeing the SB segment, several panelists including Ditka seemed taken aback by it. I think he said, "I didn't know that stuff."

I couldn't care about BB in a costume. I found the clip of Moss asking him about the party more interesting. Like other posters, I found the BB/Kraft relationship uncomfortable.

I think, in the end, we are so fascinated with him and this team that we always want more. After reading all the books over the BB run, I always feel I'm not getting it all. As just a fan, I don't deserve it, but I want it anyway.

Last edited:
I am betting alot of us have continued to watch the series???

I think the other two episodes have been great too.

Jerome Brown and Reggie white left me knowing what a pass rush really is.

And suprisingly even the Kurt Warner one was good too (I thought Brenda was going to ruin it but while she was present alot it actually added an interesting perspective).

Also hearing Kurt talk about his two SB losses, which for him were similar to our Giants loss in that he took his team down and tied or took the lead the last time he had the ball in each loss, makes you think about it too and I think he said to Wisenhendt something like he dwelled on the patriot loss so much that he didnt appreciate what was truly accomplished enough and he wasnt going to do that after the steelers loss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore