PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Bill Belichick: A Football Life" documentary on NFL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to throw something out there...curious what others will say...with a busy day today I probably won't be able to respond til tonight, and think I may get some serious flames for this...but -

As much as I love Belichick - and as a manager I use aspects of his coaching and leadership daily in my work - I think Part 2 of this documentary showed a few examples of where BB's leadership was...lacking.

I know there are countless examples of 'rah rah' coaches who fail on a regular basis in the NFL (witness Sporano's crazy 'division goes through us' rant), but does anyone else feel BB just gave up too early in that Baltimore game? Hey, I remember the game well: Ravens dominated from the first play, and the whole 1st quarter. But you know what I would think if I was a Patriot that day, watching BB's body language, and what seemed his lack of real engagement? I'd think: He doesn't believe we can come back from this. He doesn't believe in us!

There were definitely other clues at different points in the season where he essentially verbalized the same thing. ...Wish I had more time to expound....Bottom line: Why didn't he at least try to rally his troops, really rally them? He just seemed to determine it was a lost cause and...gave up.

Am I missing something? I hate thinking this about the guy. Will he do it again this year if the team doesn't respond the way he wants them to? Set me straight! :bricks:

What's great?

Hauling off at the team for winning 35 to 7.

:cool:

Not gonna lie, this documentary as a whole (parts 1 & 2) wasn't nearly as good as I expected......also, anyone else notice that BB doesn't really like Robert Kraft?

I'm going to throw something out there...curious what others will say...with a busy day today I probably won't be able to respond til tonight, and think I may get some serious flames for this...but -

As much as I love Belichick - and as a manager I use aspects of his coaching and leadership daily in my work - I think Part 2 of this documentary showed a few examples of where BB's leadership was...lacking.

I know there are countless examples of 'rah rah' coaches who fail on a regular basis in the NFL (witness Sporano's crazy 'division goes through us' rant), but does anyone else feel BB just gave up too early in that Baltimore game? Hey, I remember the game well: Ravens dominated from the first play, and the whole 1st quarter. But you know what I would think if I was a Patriot that day, watching BB's body language, and what seemed his lack of real engagement? I'd think: He doesn't believe we can come back from this. He doesn't believe in us!

There were definitely other clues at different points in the season where he essentially verbalized the same thing. ...Wish I had more time to expound....Bottom line: Why didn't he at least try to rally his troops, really rally them? He just seemed to determine it was a lost cause and...gave up.

Am I missing something? I hate thinking this about the guy. Will he do it again this year if the team doesn't respond the way he wants them to? Set me straight! :bricks:

Editing will do that.

You are not wrong to see what was shown as BB giving up early, because that is the way the cutting and splicing portrayed it.

Basically, they showed all the lead up - - then the Rice opening play from scrimmage TD - - then the next 2 TD's scored by the ravenTD scored by the Ravens then immediately to BB glowering on the sidelines with a couple of minutes to go in the game.

Not the way it happened - - but they had to edit it down.

Editing skews perception completely. Just look at what they do to people on Survivor or any other reality show. The editors basically take the footage and write their own story.

Oh, and "coach, how come you didn't get in on that?!?" (referring to a few members of the team physically celebrating a play)

BB: "I'd be out for a year."

Bill reflecting about how much you miss of normal family life as a head coach- being with the kids, seeing them play sports and do school activities, being around for Christmas, etc-- and even commenting that, yes, He can imagine life after football, and that he can't see himself coaching into his 70s like Marv Levy.

I don't think we will have him for another 10 years. He might just exit with Tom.

That part gave me a chill. So many other coaches would lead us to being just another team, or as he said once last night "some guys just wearing the same jerseys"

We are certainly lucky to have coach Belichick.

Last edited:
O god I never even considered that a possibility, I couldn't imagine seeing him work with a different team. I still can't even grasp the thought of life after Brady and Belichick, perhaps I'm being a little childish but I really really don't like thinking about it lol just enjoy the now

He isn't going anywhere. The Giants are his college sweetheart, first real true love. Nice memory, like his ex whom I think he gets along swimmingly with. He's moved on from her romantically although remains devoted to their kids. And while he admires the organization, they are actually into their own Jonathan phase. He worked there when the legendary Mara sons were still running the show. Now it's a Mara grandson and a Tisch son. And there is nothing else he could do for them (particularly with Eli ensconsed...). The organization knows in hindsight who the key cog was in securing them two rings under Parcell's. And they've won won since thanks to another young DC who has also moved on.

If Bill coaches past NE it will be somewhere he hasn't yet coached that still tugs on his heartstrings. Maybe a childhood crush. My guess would be the Academy if the timing was right. He loves those cadets for their selflessness and drive to do the right thing just because it's your job to. That is a mindset he has spent his career trying to infuse into every pro player and team he coaches. He really lucked out on the QB here and he knows that... Or he could try his hand at Lacrosse... He won't coach another NFL team. He likes the one he's coaching now and he has nothing left to prove.

this Documentary did not move me like the "Brady 6" did.

A Football Life- lacked the panache that was seen in Brady 6. I guess it is unfair to compare the 2. I however preferred the Brady 6 documentary.

I liked Bills don't get me wrong. I had extremely HIGH Expectations b/c of how well the Brady 6 turned out

Last edited:
What you are waiting for is the BB retrospective. That probably won't be done until he retires. He allowed them to mic him for 2009 based on the footage being used to that end. They simply wanted a draw program to launch their new series on A Football Life so used it to that end. It really didn't lend itself to being more than a little insight into the man and how he operates in season. When he retires and approaches HOF induction they will have to do a 13 week mini series... but this footage will be invaluable in filling time on that one.

O god I never even considered that a possibility, I couldn't imagine seeing him work with a different team. I still can't even grasp the thought of life after Brady and Belichick, perhaps I'm being a little childish but I really really don't like thinking about it lol just enjoy the now

I would be suprised if BB leaves to coach another team. His father coached and worked at Annapolis for 30 years, Bill will stick with this organization unless he is forced out for some unforeseen reason.

He isn't going anywhere. The Giants are his college sweetheart, first real true love. Nice memory, like his ex whom I think he gets along swimmingly with.

Good analogy! :)

Then he fooled around with the Cleveland "Sharon S." Browns, but ultimately ended up with the hot big-t*tted blonde -- the New England "Linda H." Patriots.

:cool:

Last edited:
6) Already mentioned relationship b/w 12 and BB. I would never say father-son relationship that was previously said in this thread because I think that is a bit disrespectful to his dad who 12 obvioulsy showed a lot of emotion towards in that ESPN interview. Nice to see the relationship behind the scenes of one of the best QB-head coach relationships of all time in the NFL.

It reminded me of the kind of relationship you can develop with a really great teacher in school.

It's clear that Belichick is a coach that believes it's your responsiblity to get back up when you're knocked back. It's not a question of enthusiasm but toughness, doing what you should have been doing. If you need the coach to tell you that, you're not going to win. Recall the meeting in which Belichick was talking about Hit Man Hearns. How did that end? Basically he cut it short and said, "You get the point."

Seems to me the writing was on the wall after Denver loss, and then it hit him and Brady like a ton of :bricks: after the New Orleans game. They knew they were in trouble. He said it best, he couldn't get them to play like they needed to.

I did not enjoy part 2 nearly as much as part 1. that may be due to the way the season turned out. I will re-watch it and see if I feel differently.

also, anyone else notice that BB doesn't really like Robert Kraft?

I didn't notice that.

I noticed that Belichick and Kraft are both a little socially awkward, something that wasn't exactly a new revelation.

They may not be best friends who hang out on their days off, but the one thing that showed through was Kraft's incredible respect for Belichick, and Belichick's appreciation of Kraft as an owner that wants to know what's going on, but doesn't force his opinions on his management. I doubt you'll see many better business relationships.

I also can't say I'm disappointed in the documentary. They left me wanting more... as a Pats fan I would be remiss if I didn't want to see more.

Too often these 'football stories' focus on teams when things are going great. If something goes wrong, it turns into a quick montage and a highlight of the score/injury, followed by more video of great times. I thought it was fascinating to see what it was like for a great coach to deal with routine failure.

I didn't notice that.

I noticed that Belichick and Kraft are both a little socially awkward, something that wasn't exactly a new revelation.

They may not be best friends who hang out on their days off, but the one thing that showed through was Kraft's incredible respect for Belichick, and Belichick's appreciation of Kraft as an owner that wants to know what's going on, but doesn't force his opinions on his management. I doubt you'll see many better business relationships.

Yeah I mean it probably is just social awkwardness, it just seemed like Kraft was always trying to shoot the **** with BB and he was having none of it. Tough to say though with all the editing and other stuff going on with a television show production.

That show was beautifully shot, produced & edited. Kudos to NFL Films. That was truly great stuff.

Seeing more behind the scenes, real-life BB in part 2 was great.

But I do wish we could've seen that game-planning session btwn TB & BB for the Colts.

The most captivating moment is when Belichick says he's thinking of holding Welker out of the Texans game. I gasped/shrieked. That's how close we were to having some semblance of a postseason.

The 4th & 2 stuff was really well edited and put-together. I can't get over how obvious it was that Faulk picked up that first down and the ref overthought the hell out of it. That play really derailed our season - combined with the Welker injury.

The candid BB & TB conversation during the Saints game was also one of the best scenes in the whole program.

It's also so clear how the trials of the 2009 season created the resolve the 2010 team had, including the leadership roles that guys like Brady, Wilfork, etc. take on.

What's demoralizing is that the 2010 team did literally everything right from a chemistry perspective - and all it took was two stupid plays (Brady's INT and Crump's drop) to deter what probably would've been a Super Bowl trip (I only say trip b/c I'm not sure we'd have beaten the Pack, but I know we would've been there).

Last edited:
That show was beautifully shot, produced & edited. Kudos to NFL Films. That was truly great stuff......

The most captivating moment is when Belichick says he's thinking of holding Welker out of the Texans game. I gasped/shrieked.

agreed. I was thinking how different things might have been had he stuck with that line of thinking. I think the team lost more than a good WR on the field when Wes went down, they lost the sparkle in their eyes.

I didn't notice that.

A team owner has a tough job if he wants to help without interfering. That adds to the awkwardness.

Also adding to the awkwardness -- while BB is used to being on camera a LOT, the same is not nearly as true of the Krafts.

Yes, Robert Kraft is on camera a lot more than you or I are, but it's still not BB's level of familiarity with the experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore