PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill’s first offer…

I've heard Chargers, Falcons, Commanders in rumors of teams interested in BB before the official announcement that he was leaving.

Now that the Patriots won't be demanding a compensation pick for him, the field widens for his services considerably. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in the NFC and for obvious reasons that would be preferable for us.

think the best chances in order are
1) Dallas
2) Tennesee
3) LA
Long shots
Chicago
Buffalo
I got excited about Dallas, but I think Jerry is too committed to HC stability to jump at this. Less than a month ago he was talking about extending McCarthy.

unless….

Jerry’s also free wheeling. Wonder if he would ask McCarthy to stay on as head coach in waiting if he hired Belichick on a three year deal as senior executive head coach or some such? Solves the problem of Bill’s age and the need for immediate succession planning. McCarthy has his reputation on the offensive side of the ball, coupling that with Belichick’s defensive prowess would be a pretty powerful combination. Could it work?

I got excited about Dallas, but I think Jerry is too committed to HC stability to jump at this. Less than a month ago he was talking about extending McCarthy.

unless….

Jerry’s also free wheeling. Wonder if he would ask McCarthy to stay on as head coach in waiting if he hired Belichick on a three year deal as senior executive head coach or some such? Solves the problem of Bill’s age and the need for immediate succession planning. McCarthy has his reputation on the offensive side of the ball, coupling that with Belichick’s defensive prowess would be a pretty powerful combination. Could it work?
Nah no coach is going to accept a demotion and I doubt bb would want him on his staff
McCarthy was 1 and done then lost in round 2 squandering 12 win seasons, now he has another 12 win season and a 2 seed.
If they lose to the packers I’d bet he is gone, lose in round 2 maybe.

I don't see a single team that is looking for a HC, not considering BB as their primary target. Also teams who are debating changing HCs will probably look into BB possibility too.

I'm pretty sure there's no team in the league that would prefer someone else above BB, it would make no sense

I don't see a single team that is looking for a HC, not considering BB as their primary target. Also teams who are debating changing HCs will probably look into BB possibility too.

I'm pretty sure there's no team in the league that would prefer someone else above BB, it would make no sense
I disagree. There's team culture to consider, existing employees, fan base, etc. No different than Patriots trying to bring in a new HC. Do you blow everything up and start from scratch for a 72 yo HC to get 2-3 years out of him? I'm thinking 2 to 3 teams at most will consider him. Some have already discounted him.

Quite honestly, if Philadelphia were to flame out in the playoffs and they canned Sirianni, BB to the Eagles would be the best fit for him. Great management, tough/blue collar city, damn near SB ready roster & he could fix the weakness of that team which is his specialty (the secondary). Long shot, but would be the best fit for him, especially at his age.

Edit: Wow…I just stumbled upon this. This is definitely BB’s best fit. All other options are irrelevant now (IMHO)

Last edited:
a month ago I thought Washington seemed like a natural landing place for him, but their handling of things after they fired Rivera makes me think they're not a likely match.

I’d be surprised if BB would have any interest in working for Irsay.

if the Eagles or Dallas take an early playoff exit they could be contenders. It would be wild to see them both lose this weekend, setting up the possibility that Bill could have a choice between an 11 win team and a 12 win team. Wouldn’t that be a circus? But I doubt Jerry would jump at it, unless things really went unexpectedly sideways with McCarthy. So probably just a fantasy.
Jerry would never be able to handle someone more famous than him in the organization. Even when Parcells went there, you could argue JJ was still the face of the Cowboys. Belichick would be the face of the org and that won't happen while JJ is still alive.

Quite honestly, if Philadelphia were to flame out in the playoffs and they canned Sirianni, BB to the Eagles would be the best fit for him. Great management, tough/blue collar city, damn near SB ready roster & he could fix the weakness of that team which is his specialty (the secondary). Long shot, but would be the best fit for him, especially at his age.

Edit: Wow…I just stumbled upon this. This is definitely BB’s best fit. All other options are irrelevant now (IMHO)

But then Lane Johnson won't have any fun.

Don't take this the wrong way but you are delusional.

There is zero chance teams like Packers, Niners, Rams, Chiefs would ever even entertain it. Second, the guy is 71 going on 72, most teams won't crater their entire structure for a shot term project. Third you are acting like the last 4 years did not happen. Finally wherever Bill goes he will want final say on personel and a lot of teams won't touch that since they have established GMs.

I would be shocked if more than 4-5 teams are interested.

I thought about it yesterday but it is insane someone in that org leaked this ahead of a playoff game.

I really think it's the Falcons - they have a high enough pick to get one of the QBs, or just bring Kirk Cousins in for a couple of years - that offense is close, and that defense just needs some coaching - it's kind of a perfect situation for him. Especially if he brings McDaniels and Steve with him.
All Belichick needs is an average QB to win. ; )

It would be great to see Bill go to Philly and team back up with Matty P. BB could ruin their offense and MP could continue ruining their defense.

I think the best fit is the Chargers as a coach. They have a good offense......but their defense ...is like swiss cheese. If BB can whip that side into shape, they can be very dangerous. BTW he will also like fishing in the pacific......

Jerry would never be able to handle someone more famous than him in the organization. Even when Parcells went there, you could argue JJ was still the face of the Cowboys. Belichick would be the face of the org and that won't happen while JJ is still alive.
Nah. Jerry would still be the face of the franchise, as they both would want. BB doesn’t need or want the limelight. The only attention he’d get would be for how many times he could repeat “we’re on to Cincinnati” without saying anything else. Media would then turn to Jerry for comment…

The simple fact of the matter is that Belichick to the Jets makes a lot of sense. The Jets already have a short timer at QB, why not get one at HC too? It is widely believed that they each have a tremendous amount of respect for each other. They have a very good defense as well.

They are a team who is all in for the next couple years and not really worried about the long term.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back