PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big loss for the Steelers: Aaron Smith gone for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn. That sucks for them. Is he their LDE or RDE in a 34?

If RDE, Cam Heyward is the starter.
If LDE, Ziggy Hood is the starter.

When nobody was looking, that Steelers team suddenly got mighty old -- the oldest team in the NFL, in fact.

They tend to be held up as a draft exemplar around here, particularly because of their success developing LBs. But there was an interesting thread on the draft board recently that broke down the Steelers' draft history and showed they just haven't been stocking up lately. In particular, the banner draft class of 2010 that gave the Pats McCourty, Gronkowski, Spikes, Hernandez, Mesko and more yielded just Pouncey and a bunch of meh for Pittsburgh.

The steelers took a step back this year imo....their defense is old and looks it on the field and their offensive line is in shambles

When nobody was looking, that Steelers team suddenly got mighty old -- the oldest team in the NFL, in fact.

They tend to be held up as a draft exemplar around here, particularly because of their success developing LBs. But there was an interesting thread on the draft board recently that broke down the Steelers' draft history and showed they just haven't been stocking up lately. In particular, the banner draft class of 2010 that gave the Pats McCourty, Gronkowski, Spikes, Hernandez, Mesko and more yielded just Pouncey and a bunch of meh for Pittsburgh.

If we look at the top teams of the "2000s" (Patriots/Colts/Steelers/Chargers/Eagles), it seems that they've recently all had down times with the draft, and it seems to have started in 2006 for all of them.

Last edited:
That 'old' defense is still ranked right up on top of the stat sheets

If we look at the top teams of the "2000s" (Patriots/Colts/Steelers/Chargers/Eagles), it seems that they've recently all had down times with the draft, and it seems to have started in 2006 for all of them.
Weren't 2006 and 2007 considered relatively weak classes in general? I don't think it's coincidence that Belichick traded away so many draft picks in 2007 after seeing the abysmal mess that was 2006. (I remember one pundit describing it as the Patriots "running screaming from the draft.")

It's tough when you always pick late.

Huh, I see some very different recent draft histories in that group. The Patriots and Steelers, for example, look virtually opposite. The Pats hit a nadir in 2006 & 2007, which is when the Steelers peaked. Meanwhile the Pats have been coming on strong recently, picking up 7 starters in 2009 & 2010; Pittsburgh just 2. And it's been 8 years :eek: since the Colts drafted an impact player in the first round.

(I remember one pundit describing it as the Patriots "running screaming from the draft.")

Actually, I believe that pundit was likely somebody on this board (I think patchick used that term, and I know Metaphors did). ;)

I'm pretty sure Cameron Heyward will be his replacement. Aaron Smith played the 5 technique, no? I know ESPN has Hood listed at that spot now but let's get serious here. Have you seen ESPN's depth chart for us?

edit: Also a huge lol at people saying the Steelers poor drafting is finally catching up with them. They're just going through what we went through in 2008. But c'mon, these guys landed Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley in the same draft. Oh and also, Mike Wallace in the 3rd round. I think the only place they've struggled at drafting recently is CB and O-line.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Cameron Heyward will be his replacement. Aaron Smith played the 5 technique, no?

Na. It will be Ziggy Hood. He is the run stuffer they need at the LDE spot.

Cam H is the backup for the RDE Brett Keisel.

Too bad about Smith, but the Steelers should have known they they weren't going to be able to count on him for an entire season.

Not much of a loss for them. He's played 15 games in 3 years and hasn't taken a snap in November since 2008.

I'm not saying that he isn't a good player or that at one time he wasn't a pro bowl level player. He was. At this point he has been so injury prone that they long ago learned to play without him.

Last edited:
If Polamalu is okay after the concussion they'll be fine. Their schedule stinks after they get through us and Bmore, as long as **** Labeau is their the defense will be straight. Smith seems to be injured quite often anyhow.

The only loss on D that could truly kill that team is Polamalu IMO

Last edited:
Aaron Smith is a loss for them. But Ziggy Hood isn't a slouch by any stretch of the imagination.

The bigger issue for the Steelers is the loss of James Harrison. Larry Foote is 2 steps down (at least) from Harrison.

That being said, the Steelers have 3 other excellent LBers in Farrior, Timmons and Woodley.

If Polamalu is okay after the concussion they'll be fine. Their schedule stinks after they get through us and Bmore, as long as **** Labeau is their the defense will be straight. Smith seems to be injured quite often anyhow.

The only loss on D that could truly kill that team is Polamalu IMO

Only the games against St. Louis and KC are any sort of "gimmies." They have 5 games against division opponents yet. All of them will be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back