PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bengals release SS Chris Crocker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to come up with a new motto for FA signings. Some have adopted the phrase "Depth Signings" but I think they should be called something like "no risk, mediocre reward at best"

A Gozalez, B Carpenter, Stallworth, the fullbacks and defensive backs all fit this mold.

How about 'cannon fodder, maybe they won't blow up?'

BTW- as far as our current S situation goes all we have on the roster are Chung Barrett and Gregory. I pray to god we improve the talent that make Ventrone and Brown just gone. We are likely to keep 9 DBs with some combination of 5-4 CB/S ratio. Ideally I'd love to see us add another Vet FA as well as a draft pick or 3 and have at least 5 quality players battle it out for 4 positions.
Great insight in this post, Ken. I didn't know you'd actually played in the NFL. It's really interesting to hear about these positional transitions from someone who's played the game and been through them.

As far as Ventrone and Brown, I'm open to giving Brown another chance. He was terrible as a safety, but he was a very solid special teams player.

I didn't know that we only had three safeties on the roster--I thought we still had Ihedigbo. In that case, I wouldn't be opposed to signing someone like Crocker.

Looking at the draft, outside of Barron and Harrison Smith (who I'm not very impressed with), there isn't much there. It sounds like the LB to S transition is pretty difficult, so I don't think that's something that could help the team this year.

My thought is that maybe they draft a corner and look at moving that person or someone else on the roster (McCourty, Moore, or Dowling for example) to safety.

It's too bad Goldson wanted to stick with the 49ers last year--he's a solid player.

Great insight in this post, Ken. I didn't know you'd actually played in the NFL. It's really interesting to hear about these positional transitions from someone who's played the game and been through them.
CB, I never actually played in the NFL. I was only at an NFL camp for 2 preseasons. One year I can honestly say "almost", but the NFL unfortunately wasn't horseshoes

As far as Ventrone and Brown, I'm open to giving Brown another chance. He was terrible as a safety, but he was a very solid special teams player.
I think we already have enough special teams aces. The kid has no "feel" for the game when he's on the field on defense.

I didn't know that we only had three safeties on the roster--I thought we still had Ihedigbo. In that case, I wouldn't be opposed to signing someone like Crocker.
We actually have 5 on the roster. I'm just desperately hoping that in the interest of improving the quality of our Safeties, Ventrone and Brown aren't among them. If they are, then it would seem we haven't improved the position much. Ihedigbu is a UFA.

Looking at the draft, outside of Barron and Harrison Smith (who I'm not very impressed with), there isn't much there. It sounds like the LB to S transition is pretty difficult, so I don't think that's something that could help the team this year.
I'm not exactly sure how to read this year's S draft crop. There are some guys who could improve the position. Baron and Smith are the ones often mentioned, but there are some guys out there who also interest me. Markelle Martin has a lot of speed back there in the 4th - Trumaine Johnson,a CB who is a favorite of OTG, offers size and position flexibility in the 2nd or 3rd rounds

You know these days defenses are a lot more flexible in who they put out there. The roles of FS/SS are a lot less defined. Drafting CBs and putting them out in the middle of the field is a lot more common

It's too bad Goldson wanted to stick with the 49ers last year--he's a solid player.
I bet the FO wishes they had that one to do over.

I think we need to come up with a new motto for FA signings. Some have adopted the phrase "Depth Signings" but I think they should be called something like "no risk, mediocre reward at best"

A Gozalez, B Carpenter, Stallworth, the fullbacks and defensive backs all fit this mold.

Anderson, Carter and Waters were all this kind of signing last year. And I think we got better than mediocre reward from all three of them.

I disagree with you on Gonzalez and Stallworth. I think that both will be on the final 53. If it had to come down to making a decision between Gonzalez and Ocho, I definitely go with Gonzalez and give Ocho his walking papers, even if it costs the team in $$$$.

Gonzalez has a much better upside and can definitely, IMO, have a positive effect on the overall picture of the passing game.

Stallworth, as another option for a stretch the field receiver, along with Lloyd will give this offense the look, once again, of the 07 team with Moss and Stallworth and Welker as the slot receiver, if he plays.

If not, then Edelman and Gonzalez can certainly do a very adequate job filling in for Welker.

Branch is on the cusp.

Personally, I would rather they traded Welker if there would be the "right" return in players... however, I dont see many teams wanting to pony up big money. Welker, IMO, would not be as much of a threat on a non Brady team.

I would not be surprised to see a WR grouping of Lloyd, Stallworth Gonzalez Branch and Edelman. Hernandez of course can be used and will be used as an H Back receiver and of course there is the Gronk at TE.

There is one surprise that may come out of training camp and pre season at wide receiver. If he can hold onto the football, this guy has great speed and has shown that he can get open, deep, on post patterns..... and that is Tiquan Underwood. Dont ask me why, but I like him.

At this point in time Ocho seems to be the odd man out and the biggest question mark, of course, is Welker. Will he stay and play or will he be used in a blockbuster trade just prior to the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes