PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Benedict: Why Belichick's Genius Can't be Replicated

Sure it can. All you need is a dad who's longtime football coach at the college or NFL level. Grow up around the game. Have burning desire to impress your dad so you study the game non-stop while growing up. Get your dad to get you a job on an NFL team (preferably not the one your dad's coaching) and then make a name for yourself.

Great Article.

Thanks for posting it.

Sure it can. All you need is a dad who's longtime football coach at the college or NFL level. Grow up around the game. Have burning desire to impress your dad so you study the game non-stop while growing up. Get your dad to get you a job on an NFL team (preferably not the one your dad's coaching) and then make a name for yourself.
None of those things make you the best there ever was.

Seems like Stephen with a few steps to still to go.

The piece echos what I said in my post in the BB appreciation thread... However, it is said with much better style and in a much more succinct fashion with better prose...

Benedict absolutely nails it - The way this team was prepared week in week out, year in year out is nothing short of amazing - which will be why it will be so difficult to replicate.

Every single minute of every single game TB & BB were paired together as starter/hc - every minute of football - meant something. They were always in the hunt for the post season - Never a game, a half, a quarter where the Patriots were not in contention for the playoffs. Even in 2002 and 2016 we were still in it until the season was complete, only missing out because of ridiculous tie breakers. In at least half of those special years The Patriots were serious contenders for the Lombardi.

It won't be duplicated until another QB comes along who plays at an extremely high level for 20 years.
don't underestimate how difficult it is to manage a roster for 20+ years; a lot of coaches don't even get the opportunity to do it for even half that length of time, regardless of winning a championship.

Last edited:
Then why couldn't you do it?

Yes, let call it "Prime Belichick "

This is me right now.

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

And be the working, scholarship kid at the elite, private school.

I’m no Brady thumper, but the article seems to gloss over or de-emphasize the oversized impact Tom Brady had on their relationship.

Good stuff from Jeff Benedict (author of The Dynasty), who obviously is terrific and put out a great piece here as well:

It won't be duplicated until another QB comes along who plays at an extremely high level for 20 years.

People here keep making the BIG mistake of conflating BB's missteps in personnel (including Brady) with his great gifts as game-planner and game day tactician. He also was a master teacher of technique on the practice field. Anyone who thinks that won't be missed as long as a rookie savior arrives via the draft is sadly mistaken.

This is me right now.

Another cry for help from the psych ward refugee.

People here keep making the BIG mistake of conflating BB's missteps in personnel (including Brady) with his great gifts as game-planner and game day tactician. He also was a master teacher of technique on the practice field. Anyone who thinks that won't be missed as long as a rookie savior arrives via the draft is sadly mistaken.

I mentioned it before and we saw some talented teams go down this weekend due to bad coaching. Happens every January, and it probably won't be the last time we see it over these next couple of weeks.

I get he did a terrible job building the roster while also not setting himself up well continuity-wise on the coaching side. Not to mention, the issue with them scouting/drafting skill players has been a problem forever.

But on Sundays, there's nobody else you want out there more, and that's the asset that is going to be the most difficult moving on from.

Some are misinterpreting what I posted as a negative and a dig at Bill. Because Bill made the right choice and believed in some random kid from Michigan, he had the luxury of not worrying about the QB position which freed him up to do the things he’s good at. Many coaches don’t have that luxury and their X’s and O’s get overlooked because bad QB play is a HC killer. They are undefeated.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back