PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Patrick, TE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
The guy at NFL films on The Path to the Draft, showed some of his highlights and mentioned him as a really good blocking TE.

He's from the University at Delware. Any thoughts?

fb06-patrick-hofstra3_lg.jpg

Nice find I was watching that too I for one would not like to see anymore TE's drafted on day 1 maybe a nice Day 2 prospect however.

I was just thinking...remember when Ben Watson was drafted and people went ballistic, saying "we already have a young 1st-round TE on the roster!" Well here we are with TWO young day-one TEs on the roster yet there seems to be a consensus that we need to draft another player at the position. Thomas is a little undersized compared to Graham, but he's a well-rounded player with solid blocking skills along with terrific hands. You can make a case that he had the best rookie season of any TE in a draft that was supposedly flat-out loaded at the position. And Mills was supposed to be a similar player but didn't get a chance to show it last season due to injuries.

Is a day-two TE in this weak TE draft really going to improve this team?

Is a day-two TE in this weak TE draft really going to improve this team?
Depends on how good he is. 2000 was a weak QB draft year - not top ten QB and only NoodleArm was picked in round one - yet we a day-two QB in that weak QB draft improved the team.

Patrick is 6'4", 268# and the only TE in the draft (according to Mayock) who can catch AND block. With almost all teams looking for pass-catching TE's, he could be a steal in mid-late rounds.

And you know how many TEs BB has drafted since he came to NE.

He will if Grahm leaves.

But my post assumes that Graham leaves. The "two young day-one TEs on the roster" I'm referring to are Watson and David Thomas.

In order to improve the roster a rookie TE has to be better than Garrett Mills -- a 4th-round pick from a draft that was much deeper, especially at the TE position. I think you could make a case that it's either a high pick or nothing at TE this year, otherwise the incremental value just isn't there. (Unless Mills looked like a major disappointment pre-injury.)

Depends on how good he is. 2000 was a weak QB draft year - not top ten QB and only NoodleArm was picked in round one - yet we a day-two QB in that weak QB draft improved the team.

Patrick is 6'4", 268# and the only TE in the draft (according to Mayock) who can catch AND block. With almost all teams looking for pass-catching TE's, he could be a steal in mid-late rounds.

And you know how many TEs BB has drafted since he came to NE.
I taped that program so I'll have to watch Mayock's take for myself, but everthing I read on Patrick questions his blocking. He's reportedly going in the mid rounds, I'd be more interested in Clark Harris, but then I've seen him play more often.

As for drafting a TE, first day/second day makes no never-mind, I'm hopeful Grahambo is re-signed and we shop for camp fodder, but I don't mind BB's TE fetish.

I don't think that Mills has shown that he can block or pick a blitzer, essential in our scheme. He could make the team as one of the last five players, or not.

In any case, we need a blocking TE. I think that bb won't wait for the draft.

I taped that program so I'll have to watch Mayock's take for myself, but everthing I read on Patrick questions his blocking.
Mayock didn't exactly say Patrick was good, only that he was better than the others. Maybe it is like being the most trusted and respected used car saleman in the state.

Mayock didn't exactly say Patrick was good, only that he was better than the others. Maybe it is like being the most trusted and respected used car saleman in the state.
Yep, he also limited his characterization to his top five, so Patrick is, in Mayock's view, the best and most willing blocker in the top five - sounds like car sales to me too. Mayock's co-worker in LA felt the AZ State kid was a good blocker, which I've read about. In my selections for PATSNUTMe's draft game the other day I picked up the kid from Nevada in the 7th round precisely because his write-up credited him with being one of the better blocking TE's in this draft (with hints of being a decent receiver too). This draft is looking suckier and suckier, I wonder how many picks BB trades forward?

This draft is looking suckier and suckier, I wonder how many picks BB trades forward?

Still sure you wouldn't trade for Lawrence Taylor? ;)

I totally agree, not a mouth-watering draft at all. Maybe a good time to trade picks for vets, a la Dillon (yay!) and Starks (umm...).

Still sure you wouldn't trade for Lawrence Taylor? ;)

I totally agree, not a mouth-watering draft at all. Maybe a good time to trade picks for vets, a la Dillon (yay!) and Starks (umm...).
Two first round draft picks for LT? Nah, I'd see if I could get a Harry Carson, Pepper Johnson, or Andre Tippet for a 2nd, I'd even throw in a future second day pick if needed.

I saw a good bit of this guy when he was at Duke, and he does not have the speed to create any separation over the middle. It is difficult to imagine him being even a decent pass catcher in the NFL. I'm thinking he'll almost become a one dimensional blocking TE, if he makes a roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes