PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichik and Childress... a love/hate relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
.. actually I think they just love to hate each other

And it's looking more and more like Belichick is going to have the last laugh. Some were shocked that he'd "give" Moss to Childress for such a low price. As I predicted then, Belichick was doing Childress no favors and that the Moss trade would be Childress' undoing.

I have to admit I didn't see it going down quite like this (I thought Childress would be fired after this season) but it does appear there's a chance this weeks game might be Childress' last

Wilf addresses Vikings about release of Moss | ProFootballTalk.com

I'm trying to recall some of the issues between Childress and Belichick... Childress has been the one who's shown himself most petty in my opinion, whereas Belichick says very little in public

I remember the 2007 Practice Squad issue where Childress seemed to take great pride violating the Coaches' Code and blabbing to the media about his conversation with Belichick.

Waiver war: Childress, Belichick have tense conversation - NFL - ESPN

Then before that there was the 2006 game where Belichick and the Patriots crushed the Vikings and probably threw what looked like a promising season off track (they entered the game with the Pats 4-2 but only won 2 more games the rest of the year.

Obviously that one bothered Childress enough where he even brought it up before this year's game with the Patriots.

Am I forgetting anything else? Maybe Childress had a chip on his shoulder as the OC for the Eagles when Freddie Mitchell and the Eagles were more bark than bite against the Pats in the Super Bowl?

It's clear these two guys aren't fond of one another - and will be interesting to see if Belichick's final "gift" to Childress costs him his job.

I doubt BB wastes any energy on any particular coach like that. HE has bigger fish to fry than petty grievances.

Chilly also bragged to the media that he had outsmarted BB and grabbed Percy Harvin in the draft, supposedly out from under BB's nose. Of course, someone here pointed out that the Pats merely picked one spot behind the Vikings in the draft, and neither team made any moves to leap frog in front of the other to "steal" Harvin.

If we missed a WR in that draft, it's Hakeem Nicks. Anyway, we got Tate in the 3rd, who if my memory is right, smoked the Vikings secondary.

Regarding the 'waiver war' with Garrett Mills and David Herron, if I'm not mistaken it further bit Childress when he lost a player to make room for Mills that he needed and could have used later that year. It may have been QB Tyler Thigpen but I'm not sure.

There's also Childress' draft pick of Percy Harvin, and Chilly proclaiming that he had outsmarted Belichick to get Harvin.

And don't forget that Childress was the offensive coordinator for the Eagles when the Pats beat them in the Super Bowl. Aside from being on the losing side in that game, Chilly may have taken some of Belichick's comments personally. Remember he was watching the last two minutes of the game and saying to one of the other coaches about the Eagles "what are they doing? Is the clock wrong? Why are they taking so much time? What are they doing?" As I recall he was asked about it later and Belichick stated the Pats were perfectly content to let the Eagles do what they were doing on offense, as it helped them win the game.

I doubt BB wastes any energy on any particular coach like that. HE has bigger fish to fry than petty grievances.

This. A thousand times this. It's amazing the extent to which people invent things about and project on BB.

At the end of the day I think while Childress may be deeply envious or jealous they don't have a relationship because Bill could care less and he's disinclined to have relationships with anyone who hasn't earned his respect in the first place.

An overlooked aspect of the Moss trade revealed in it's aftermath is that it was Wilf who pushed for this deal, which is why he was so upset (as well as why he wasn't consulted) when the plan to waive the player was communicated to players before he was consulted which lalso eads me to believe two things: The Pats drove the train and approached Minnesota as opposed to simply listening...and while Wilf might make a case that Childress mishandled Moss, it's on the meddling, out of his league, absentee owner for putting him in another untenable position (while he was already hip deep in the Favre fiasco of his own making). Not to mention a QB who probably lobbied the owner who fall all over himself to overpay Brett simply for reporting to get him that weapon and who is oddly circumspect in the wake of it's departure...

Personally I don't think much of Childress or Wilf, but at the end of the day it's comical that today's players (empowered by $$$ and celebrity) get to sit by and kvetch in brotherly sympathy with each others plights when had a couple of those same fumbling, bumbling players performed down the stretch last season or out of the gate this season Childress might still be looking like the genius division winner he was portrayed to be last season.

The only love/hate I see is Childress hating BB while at the same time, he would love to be him.

BB probably scratches his left nut with more consciousness than he ever gives Childress a passing glance if the two teams are not meeting soon on the gridiron.

Somebody should have warned Childress !

You don't tug on superman's cape !

And don't forget that Childress was the offensive coordinator for the Eagles when the Pats beat them in the Super Bowl. Aside from being on the losing side in that game, Chilly may have taken some of Belichick's comments personally. Remember he was watching the last two minutes of the game and saying to one of the other coaches about the Eagles "what are they doing? Is the clock wrong? Why are they taking so much time? What are they doing?" As I recall he was asked about it later and Belichick stated the Pats were perfectly content to let the Eagles do what they were doing on offense, as it helped them win the game.

Vivid memories of watching the end of that great game. I was saying the same thing to myself. Could not believe the deliberate slowness the Eagles used approaching each play late in the 4th QTR with the clock plodding towards zero.

Vivid memories of watching the end of that great game. I was saying the same thing to myself. Could not believe the deliberate slowness the Eagles used approaching each play late in the 4th QTR with the clock plodding towards zero.

Ironically, isn't this what Mike Shanahan is now dealing with in Washington with Donovan McNabb? Maybe he isn't being inconsistent or "lying" when he says 1) McNabb doesn't know the 2 minute offense [or maybe just can't run it]) and 2) isn't in good enough condition to run it.

.. actually I think they just love to hate each other

And it's looking more and more like Belichick is going to have the last laugh. Some were shocked that he'd "give" Moss to Childress for such a low price. As I predicted then, Belichick was doing Childress no favors and that the Moss trade would be Childress' undoing.

I have to admit I didn't see it going down quite like this (I thought Childress would be fired after this season) but it does appear there's a chance this weeks game might be Childress' last

Wilf addresses Vikings about release of Moss | ProFootballTalk.com

I'm trying to recall some of the issues between Childress and Belichick... Childress has been the one who's shown himself most petty in my opinion, whereas Belichick says very little in public

I remember the 2007 Practice Squad issue where Childress seemed to take great pride violating the Coaches' Code and blabbing to the media about his conversation with Belichick.

Waiver war: Childress, Belichick have tense conversation - NFL - ESPN

Then before that there was the 2006 game where Belichick and the Patriots crushed the Vikings and probably threw what looked like a promising season off track (they entered the game with the Pats 4-2 but only won 2 more games the rest of the year.

Obviously that one bothered Childress enough where he even brought it up before this year's game with the Patriots.

Am I forgetting anything else? Maybe Childress had a chip on his shoulder as the OC for the Eagles when Freddie Mitchell and the Eagles were more bark than bite against the Pats in the Super Bowl?

It's clear these two guys aren't fond of one another - and will be interesting to see if Belichick's final "gift" to Childress costs him his job.

the week before the vikings game in 2006 he mimicked the vikes injury report and practices(closed to the reporters) like that of the pats . He also talked how he trumped the pats into getting percy harvin.
He has said other non pats related crap like -he developed donovan mcnabb and will do the same with tjack too. If you want a fun read about about chilly from their own fans read this

An Open Letter to Brad Childress - Daily Norseman

and you don't pizz into the wind

The problem with Childress is that he's a name dropper. He's got to make public anything that can "wow" people.

Is there more than 10 people in this forum that can accurately spell the last name of our Head Coach correctly? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes