Status
Not open for further replies.

NE39

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Mike Reiss has this, but here is the link:

LINK

It says:

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick telephoned Gophers offensive coordinator Mitch Browning to tell him how impressive ex-Gophers running back Laurence Maroney was during a recent minicamp. Maroney, who wore jersey No. 22 at Minnesota but will wear No. 39 for the Patriots, was New England's first-round draft pick (No. 21 overall).

"(Belichick) said it's been a long time since he's had a running back accelerate through the hole like Maroney," Browning said Thursday. "He also said Laurence has fit in well with the other players."

NE39 said:
Mike Reiss has this, but here is the link:

LINK

It says:

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick telephoned Gophers offensive coordinator Mitch Browning to tell him how impressive ex-Gophers running back Laurence Maroney was during a recent minicamp. Maroney, who wore jersey No. 22 at Minnesota but will wear No. 39 for the Patriots, was New England's first-round draft pick (No. 21 overall).

"(Belichick) said it's been a long time since he's had a running back accelerate through the hole like Maroney," Browning said Thursday. "He also said Laurence has fit in well with the other players."
Your link is to a Twins trade.
Heres the link>>> Reiss Blog

The link is to the article in the Pioneer-press. It is a news & notes column and if you scroll down you will see the note related to Maroney.

I wanted to give Reiss the credit but figured I'd link to the orignal source.

Think Corey Dillon is hearing footsteps? Now, you wonder what BB had in mind with this comment, knowing it was going to probably be reported in the media. Does this mean he's not he's not as sold on Dillon's ability to blast through a hole?

It will take two horses to ride through the long season, what a great set up this is going to become - a little Dillon - a little Maroney, throw in some Pass & Faulk at them for a while - back to Maroney, then Dillon -WOW - wait until December / Jan. football for that kind of unmitigated power!!

Smashmouth baby!!!!

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:
Think Corey Dillon is hearing footsteps? Now, you wonder what BB had in mind with this comment, knowing it was going to probably be reported in the media. Does this mean he's not he's not as sold on Dillon's ability to blast through a hole?
The Corey of old didn't need no stinkin' hole. :) I'm hoping he's got some of that left, but I can't wait to see what Maroney can do.

fgssand said:
It will take two horses to ride through the long season, what a great set up this is going to become - a little Dillon - a little Maroney, throw in some Pass & Faulk at them for a while - back to Maroney, then Dillon -WOW - wait until December / Jan. football for that kind of unmitigated power!!

Smashmouth baby!!!!

I can't imagine that Pass is going to fit into that equation in any way, shape or form. I can see Dillon and Maroney rotating series with Faulk coming in on 3rd. downs.

It's "hold your breath" time right now. If Maroney comes through big then this offense will take on a new dimension that it didn't even have in 2004 as Maroney is faster than Dillon ever was. Not as powerful, maybe not better than the 2004 Dillon, but faster and quicker and a totally different dimension.

I hope Belichick was right on this one. If he hit on Maroney and Jackson, it probably means a couple more Super Bowl wins, IMO.

fgssand said:
Smashmouth baby!!!!

Any thoughts on what the dream Smashmouth package might be if say the Patriots had the ball on the two yard line on a thord and goal? I personally like the image of O'Callaghan and Britt lined up next to each other at RG and RT. Other thoughts of what a dream smashmouth team of eleven might include? Both Dillion and Maroney in the backfield?

NordicVoyager said:
Any thoughts on what the dream Smashmouth package might be if say the Patriots had the ball on the two yard line on a thord and goal? I personally like the image of O'Callaghan and Britt lined up next to each other at RG and RT. Other thoughts of what a dream smashmouth team of eleven might include? Both Dillion and Maroney in the backfield?

I hope O'Callaghan makes the team and does well. The guy LOOKS like a classic football player.

NordicVoyager said:

I wouldn't change up our OL personnel for it (unless we're running a pass play). Maybe put in a lineman in place of the TE. If we're going to run the ball, I'd stick O'Callahan and Graham in the backfield in front of Maroney. The old "Crunch" play. This is where the ball's going to go. Now stop it. Use a quick count.

BW..............ML..NK..LM..DK..SN..MV
...................................TB
......................RO..DG
..........................LM

Note, I don't think O'Callahan and Britt will both be active.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
The old "Crunch" play. This is where the ball's going to go. Now stop it.

T..G..C..G..T..T
.......QB..........................F
............RO..DG
...............LM

OK... Who ideally are the T, G, C, G, T, T and F... I presume TB is the QB.

NordicVoyager said:

Doesn't matter. I'd actually use Vrabel as the Eligible Tackle, to keep the left side honest. And I'd use our tallest WR/TE as the SE. I'll edit my post to reflect personnel.

Last edited:
NordicVoyager said:

I'll leave the o-line to people who know more about the numbers along there.

If the game is on the line, down 5, one play to run it in from inside the 2, I'd say three te's (Graham, Watson, Thomas), Dillon (more power than Moroney from what I have gathered), and Mills. If Evans makes the team, then he is my lead blocker over Mills.

I suppose you could also put an extra tackle along the line and put one of the te's in the backfield as a blocking back.

NordicVoyager said:

Maybe BB brings back QB Michael Bishop for this situation...

Last edited:
I'm thinking Thomas could be huge in the red zone. He looks like he may be a younger and better Fauria if his hands are as good as reported.

NordicVoyager said:
Any thoughts on what the dream Smashmouth package might be if say the Patriots had the ball on the two yard line on a thord and goal?

Toss it to Ashworth!

How can you mention "power formation" and not have Klecko's name in there at least three times. GOSH!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll point out that now, more than ever, I expect to see some rotation among OLinemen. It appears that Pats do NOT buy that the same 5 guys should play every snap all season to develop cohesion.

I expect to see guys shuttling in and out at the guard and tackle positions. I'd think Koppen will play every snap at center, due to the C-QB exchange, but who knows.

Amnorix said:
I'll point out that now, more than ever, I expect to see some rotation among OLinemen. It appears that Pats do NOT buy that the same 5 guys should play every snap all season to develop cohesion.

I expect to see guys shuttling in and out at the guard and tackle positions. I'd think Koppen will play every snap at center, due to the C-QB exchange, but who knows.

Why does it not appear that way?

I think if everybody could stay healthy, Belichick would love to have the same five almost every play.

What are you seeing that I'm not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back