PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick impressed with Maroney

Status
Not open for further replies.
dryheat44 said:
Why does it not appear that way?

I think if everybody could stay healthy, Belichick would love to have the same five almost every play.

What are you seeing that I'm not?
This, perhaps

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=audionewsdetail&pid=19149&pcid=85

Q: Where do you start the learning process with the rookies at that position?

BB: With those players, they’re responsible for learning multiple positions and we’re going to look at them doing things these couple of days and then into next week and then the mini-camps and passing camps and see how it goes. I’m sure we’ll have to modify some of those roles as we go, and we wouldn’t expect them to do everything. I think you just don’t want to get into a situation where you tell a guy to learn one thing and then you get 15, 20 days or practices down the road and you say ‘Well, you know what? Why don’t you start learning [something else].’ Then he’s lost all of the foundation. You give them a broader base, and then if it looks like it’s too much, then you cut it back. If it isn’t, then at some point you have the foundation built so that whichever way you want to go, you can emphasize that and hopefully get it executed. We’re doing that with our linemen too. We’re moving those guys around. They’ve been in different positions. Defensively, switching the linebackers, safeties, and all that so that they at least get exposed to the different spots.

He's changing them around to find their best position.
Not in a game!.

shakadave said:
Toss it to Ashworth!

3000 miles is one loooooooong toss! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
NordicVoyager said:
Any thoughts on what the dream Smashmouth package might be if say the Patriots had the ball on the two yard line on a thord and goal? I personally like the image of O'Callaghan and Britt lined up next to each other at RG and RT. Other thoughts of what a dream smashmouth team of eleven might include? Both Dillion and Maroney in the backfield?

And nimble Neal as the lead blocker...

dryheat44 said:
No, that seems to be done with an eye towards finding a player's best position and building versatility in case of injury.

I can't fathom why, if possible, a Coach wouldn't want a continuity of his offensive line, especially because there's usually a noticeable dropoff in ability from an NFL OL starter to an NFL OL backup.

Like the previous poster, I actually think the Pats might change this thought process by making sure 6,7, 8 OL are all interchangeable based on matchup situations. Just another way the Pats alter what is typical of NFL teams.

Truthfully, I don't think the Pats give two hoots about who they have out there on the OL.

BradfordPatsFan said:
I'll leave the o-line to people who know more about the numbers along there.

If the game is on the line, down 5, one play to run it in from inside the 2, I'd say three te's (Graham, Watson, Thomas), Dillon (more power than Moroney from what I have gathered), and Mills. If Evans makes the team, then he is my lead blocker over Mills.

I suppose you could also put an extra tackle along the line and put one of the te's in the backfield as a blocking back.

Seems like the knock on Evans last year was that his lead blocking skills were not that great. How does everyone see him fitting in this year? Seems ideal as a short yardage, and red zone back. Will he really knock Pass out of the equation?

jimmyjames said:
Seems like the knock on Evans last year was that his lead blocking skills were not that great. How does everyone see him fitting in this year? Seems ideal as a short yardage, and red zone back. Will he really knock Pass out of the equation?

Answer - - No. Pass stays and Heath is gone after camp. Mills would be more valuable and versatile then Heath IMHO.

Tunescribe said:
Think Corey Dillon is hearing footsteps? Now, you wonder what BB had in mind with this comment, knowing it was going to probably be reported in the media. Does this mean he's not he's not as sold on Dillon's ability to blast through a hole?
That's not how I read it. I see:

"(Belichick) said it's been a long time since he's had a running back accelerate through the hole like Maroney,"

as having to do with speed. It says nothing about Dillon's ability as a RB, only that Maroney is faster. Who would think that at this time in his career Dillon would be faster than Moroney?

I can't see that this is a knock on Corey at all.

dryheat44 said:
No, that seems to be done with an eye towards finding a player's best position and building versatility in case of injury.

I can't fathom why, if possible, a Coach wouldn't want a continuity of his offensive line, especially because there's usually a noticeable dropoff in ability from an NFL OL starter to an NFL OL backup.
so that when one guy gets hurt andhis backup comes in in the middle of the game, he will alrady have had game experience in that position, and therefore better "continuity."

Tunescribe said:
Now, you wonder what BB had in mind with this comment, knowing it was going to probably be reported in the media.
I think what this means is the UofM coach has a big mouth and hasn't learned the BB version of what you say to the media.

dryheat44 said:

That's usually true; but in this case I think you have three playable LTs in Light, Kaycur and Mankins. Four playable guards in Mankins, Neal, Hochstein and Tucker and four playable RTs in Kaycur, Gorin, Britt and O'Callaghan...

Usually the drawbacks from platooning outweigh the benefits, but not always. If you plan on a rotation, given near equal talented candidates, Guys get used to the guys they will see next to them.

The opponent pass rushers have double the work to do, as they must study two different guys and try to find the weaknesses in both. They can't save their big move for a "key" down as they might not see the guy opposite them on the "key" down either.

Planned rotation certainly makes it easier to withstand an injury or two.

2 positions

AzPatsFan said:
That's usually true; but in this case I think you have three playable LTs in Light, Kaycur and Mankins. Four playable guards in Mankins, Neal, Hochstein and Tucker and four playable RTs in Kaycur, Gorin, Britt and O'Callaghan...

You also pave 3 playable centers in Koppen, Hochstein, and Tucker (played Center for Buff) O'Callahan has also played left and right Guard. Gorin can play LT in a pinch as well.

KACZUR people, KACZUR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First it was McGinest that people fubared consistently, now it will be Nick Kaczur that people muddle. lol

Tunescribe said:
Think Corey Dillon is hearing footsteps? Now, you wonder what BB had in mind with this comment, knowing it was going to probably be reported in the media. Does this mean he's not he's not as sold on Dillon's ability to blast through a hole?

I think (hope) that the model the BB is using with Dillon is O.J. Anderson. Anderson was a star lead back early in his career with the Cardinals (?), then morphed into a tremendous 3rd down/4th quarter/cold weather RB on the championship Giant teams.

If Corey could accept an Anderson-like role with Maroney over the next few years, it may extend his career an extra 2-3 seasons... and possibly may be the difference in making the HOF.

AzPatsFan said:

Wow, all our linemen are playable? I've never seen Britt, O'Callaghan, or Tucker play for the Patriots yet. As Belichick is apt to say "I can't put you in there if you don't consistently know what to do. I just can't." I hope all these guys can be plugged seamlessly into the line. That would be amazing. I'm just not counting on it.

BB told maroney he didnt draft him to sit in the bench this year.

Tunescribe said:
I hope O'Callaghan makes the team and does well. The guy LOOKS like a classic football player.

Namely, Brady. But on steroids. Bizarro Brady.

Smashmouth indeed... oh to heck with it, pull Corey AND Maroney on 3rd and 2, and bring in some guy that sumo wrestled and weighs 320...

I kid because I love,

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing