PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Before you get down on Chad Jackson..

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Why don't you look at the rookie numbers of other top drafted Pats receivers?

Notable Patriots rookie receivers:
(Numbers cited from here http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/local_story_298173503?page=0)

Catches/yards/TDs/round drafted

Deion Branch, 2002: 43/489/2/2

Terry Glenn, 1996: 90/1,132/6/1

Vincent Brisby, 1993: 45/626/2/2

Irving Fryar, 1984: 11/164/1/1

Stanley Morgan, 1977: 21/443/3/1

Chad Jackson, As of Today: 5/86/2/2

Chad Jackson already has 2 TDS in very limited action. As far as rookie Patriot receivers go that puts him behind only Terry Glenn and Stanley "the Steamer" Morgan. Now that he is healthy do you think it is realistic that he can hook up with Brady for at least a couple more TD catches? I think so.

I know there were a lot of high expectations coming into the season for CJ but comparing those numbers you'd have to say that anything better than 400 yards and a handful of TDs would be a pretty successful rookie campaign.

There is still time for Chad Jackson to make an impact and now that he is finally healthy I expect the Pats to use him more. We've already SEEN what he's capable of when we call his number deep. For now I'd say cut the kid a little slack, sit back and just enjoy watching what CJ is capable of doing.

Last edited:
It's also important to note he didn't play much his freshman year and he came out early. All that said, I still expect him to make a lot of big plays by the end of the season. His college career shows how versatile he is - sophomore year it was all about the big plays (22 ypc), junior year he was in the slot and caught 80+ passes.

Last edited:
...and how many of those listed receivers missed most of training camp/pre-season due to injury?

Last edited:
I'm not down on Chad Jackson at all. I'd say that given how excited I was on draft day and the days following rookie mini camp, I've just been frustrated and anxious to see him make an impact for our offense. I also think that our coaches will set the pace that is right for him. He's been the big TEASE this season!

VJCPatriot said:
Why don't you look at the rookie numbers of other top drafted Pats receivers?

Notable Patriots rookie receivers:
(Numbers cited from here http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/local_story_298173503?page=0)

Catches/yards/TDs/round drafted

Deion Branch, 2002: 43/489/2/2

Terry Glenn, 1996: 90/1,132/6/1

Vincent Brisby, 1993: 45/626/2/2

Irving Fryar, 1984: 11/164/1/1

Stanley Morgan, 1977: 21/443/3/1

Chad Jackson, As of Today: 5/86/2/2

Chad Jackson already has 2 TDS in very limited action. As far as rookie Patriot receivers go that puts him behind only Terry Glenn and Stanley "the Steamer" Morgan. Now that he is healthy do you think it is realistic that he can hook up with Brady for at least a couple more TD catches? I think so.

I know there were a lot of high expectations coming into the season for CJ but comparing those numbers you'd have to say that anything better than 400 yards and a handful of TDs would be a pretty successful rookie campaign.

There is still time for Chad Jackson to make an impact and now that he is finally healthy I expect the Pats to use him more. We've already SEEN what he's capable of when we call his number deep. For now I'd say cut the kid a little slack, sit back and just enjoy watching what CJ is capable of doing.

Well Said!!!! Definately Agreed.Thanks for the Thread.I wasnt aware that Vincent Brisby was such a contributor his rookie year

Me, I'd appreciate a rational thread Before you get high on rookie Jackson. He's done nothing of consequence as of yet compared to the numerous pre-season threads on this guy. Let's see him contribute some before making excuses.

I'm not down on him but I am curious as to why he seems to be *absent* a lot on the field. His pre-season injury possibly slowed his progression as a player? Problems still with that hamstring (one draft publication did put a knock on him as being a "soft" player) or something else? I do think if he were healthy and up-to-speed on the playbook he'd be more of a playmaker than we've seen to date.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wow, you cherrypicked the one stat (TDs) where he hasn't been a disappointment.

Chad Jackson's has been a non-contributor to this team. Whether due to injury or attitude or simply taking time to develop he has added nothing to the team so far this year. I don't see why people have a hard time accepting this.

The good thing is that it doesn't mean much of anything and he wasn't drafted for production in his first 6 games.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Me, I'd appreciate a rational thread Before you get high on rookie Jackson. He's done nothing of consequence as of yet compared to the numerous pre-season threads on this guy. Let's see him contribute some before making excuses.

Hey, now don't you sound like a fun guy to be around? What a buzzkill!

I'd much rather be high on a guy and then be disappointed then be a negative nancy assuming the worst all the time. Games happen once a week, the majority of the fun in watching sports - football in particular - is anticipation.

Also would like to point out he is second in the team with TD catches despite very, very limited play.

Wow! Chad Jackson was my idol in Florida (because I'm a Gator Fan).And now in Patriots,I wait that he'll do a good season with Pats.He has got talent and I'm sure that he can do it :cool:

TomBrady'sGoat said:

Chad Jackson's has been a non-contributor to this team. Whether due to injury or attitude or simply taking time to develop he has added nothing to the team so far this year. I don't see why people have a hard time accepting this.

Again, I don't know why people would choose to be negative over positive about rookies - there's a lot of excitement to be had in Maroney and Jackson, might as well enjoy it.

As for "non-contributor"? He's put 12 points on the board. That's 12 more than Reche Caldwell and Ben Watson combined. Maybe at the end of the year we say "all Chad Jackson does is catch touchdowns" and I don't think that'd be such a bad thing. But, he is a big play threat and we need one.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
The good thing is that it doesn't mean much of anything and he wasn't drafted for production in his first 6 games.

That's a good point.

BradyManny2344 said:
Again, I don't know why people would choose to be negative over positive about rookies - there's a lot of excitement to be had in Maroney and Jackson, might as well enjoy it.

Being negative is saying that Chad Jackson sucks and that he'll never be better. Being realistic is accepting that the guy has yet to make any kind of mark.

Go ahead and be positive, I like it when people are positive. I only chose to respond to this thread because I am sick of the Chad Jackson hype. When he starts producing I'll take notice. I'll even pull for him until then. But I won't pretend he has been even 1/10 as important as Caldwell has been to the team.

Btw, TDs is a crappy stat.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
Btw, TDs is a crappy stat.

Last I checked whichever team put more points on the board wins the game.

TomBrady'sGoat said:

What???? 2 TD's in 6 games is "nothing" and he is a "non-contributor"? Definitely he hasn't put up big numbers, but can you please not insult everyone's intelligence?

Here's what the stats of "nothing" look like:

Receptions: 0 RecYards: 0 Carries: 0 RushYards: 0 TD's: 0

In six games of his rookie season, of which he played 4, Chad Jackson has:

Receptions: 5 RecYards: 86 Carries: 2 RushYards: 24 TD's: 2

BradyManny2344 said:
Last I checked whichever team put more points on the board wins the game.

argh. its called context. we are discussing individual performance.

As for shmessy, thank you for taking my words too literally and running with it. I'm sorry, I will stop assuming your intelligence.

I'm a Gator fan as well and it was a pleasure to watch him work. He also came out of Hoover High (in Alabama) as a stud. He's going to be something else in this league, but everyone needs to be patient. Not every star receiver made a huge impact in their rookie year.

Chad started slow but has shown some flashes. We'll see. Saying that he has done nothing to make a mark is ridiculous. So is saying that there's been a lot of HYPE. There has been some overreaction in BOTH directions, but there's hardly been a whole bunch of hype.

This kneejerk - North, South, East, West - is really dragging down the site. This place was special. The huge pendulum swing of jack-ass-itude pushes it toward "common." It's a real bummer. Can we please raise the bar? Thanks.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
argh. its called context. we are discussing individual performance.

As for shmessy, thank you for taking my words too literally and running with it. I'm sorry, I will stop assuming your intelligence.

Ooooh, sorry I missed the obvious sarcasm in your witty post:
______
TomBradysGoat's Original post:

"Wow, you cherrypicked the one stat (TDs) where he hasn't been a disappointment.
Chad Jackson's has been a NON-CONTRIBUTOR to this team. Whether due to injury or attitude or simply taking time to develop he has ADDED NOTHING to the team so far this year. I don't see why people have a hard time accepting this.
The good thing is that it doesn't mean much of anything and he wasn't drafted for production in his first 6 games."
________

Gee, how could anyone miss that? Yes, perhaps no one should take your words literally. Thanks for the heads up, Einstein!

Now who was it that once said "the negativity in this town sucks"? It seems like Red Soxism has rubbed onto Patriots fans or what? We won 3 championships and are now 5-1 but a lot of guys act like its the end of the world. What have I missed?

Anyways real TIGHT banner there F0nsy! Where'd you find the stock pics to make em. I like.

are people really down on Chad Jackson? That's amazing!

I know some people placed lofty expectations on the rookie, but I didn't really think anyone was down on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes