PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BEFORE you criticize the Pats draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonBullit

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
before you spawn a thread to b!tch about the Pats draft this year please take the time to compile and post a complete slot by slot draft as you would have done it if YOU where in charge of the Pats war room. That way we who assume that we know less than BB/Pioli and staff can be enlightened as to how they are wrong.

Sincerely,
BostonBullit

before you spawn a thread to b!tch about the Pats draft this year please take the time to compile and post a complete slot by slot draft as you would have done it if YOU where in charge of the Pats war room. That way we who assume that we know less than BB/Pioli and staff can be enlightened as to how they are wrong.

Sincerely,
BostonBullit

Yeah ... sounds good in theory:

BostonBullit
Practice Squad
Re: Pats select KR/STer/FS/WR/CB/Track Matt Slater with 153rd overall pick
man what a waste of a fifth round pick, I hate football players. this guy can't figure out what to be when he grows up so he just plays everywhere and is a teams nut, who the hell wants that kind of riffraff floating around their locker room :rolleyes::rolleyes:[/quote]

Last edited:
from "scott99" to "jr." I have never seen so many freakin cry babies about the draft, this year looks much better than last year wouldn't be surprised if they are jets fans

Yeah ... sounds good in theory:

do we have an official sarcasm emoticon here that I don't know about? I thought the rollyeyes was enough for most people to pick up on but I guess that's not the case...is there an FAQ that lays this kind of thing out so people don't get confused when I'm being sarcastic and when I'm being serious?

(for the record the quoted post from the other thread with the rollyeyes was sarcasm, this thread on the other hand is serious)

I don't get it. How about people give the guys drafted a chance.

I like getting some CB's, I like the OLB pick, I like the backup QB upgrade. What the hell is everyone crying about?

I thought the bolding gave it away apparently not

from "scott99" to "jr." I have never seen so many freakin cry babies about the draft, this year looks much better than last year wouldn't be surprised if they are jets fans

Yeah draftday, you have 2 posts and I have over 1200, so yeah, I'm a Jet's fan. I've been a Pat's fan probably longer than you've been alive. I've been a fan since 1975, but apparently if you dislike a draft choice on this message board you are a traitor. Sorry if I won't drink the Koolaid on some of the picks. I'm not a jet's fan, I'm not a fairweather fan, I stick with my team whether they are 1-15 or 18-1, but I WILL voice my opinion if I think the Pats do something wrong......That's what messageboards are for I believe, to voice your opinions. Thank's for the compliment though.

Yeah draftday, you have 2 posts and I have over 1200, so yeah, I'm a Jet's fan. I've been a Pat's fan probably longer than you've been alive. I've been a fan since 1975, but apparently if you dislike a draft choice on this message board you are a traitor. Sorry if I won't drink the Koolaid on some of the picks. I'm not a jet's fan, I'm not a fairweather fan, I stick with my team whether they are 1-15 or 18-1, but I WILL voice my opinion if I think the Pats do something wrong......That's what messageboards are for I believe, to voice your opinions. Thank's for the compliment though.

don't just sit back and say they did something wrong, have the courage to step up and say what would have been RIGHT. You started in your thread with your theory that they shouldn't have traded with SF last year, which is a valid one (except that their loss of first pick this year as penalty would have left them without any first round without that trade).

See here's the thing about us fans spouting off about the draft or a game decision or whatever: WE DON'T KNOW. we don't know what the real status of anyone on the roster is, we don't know what the REAL needs are for the team, we don't know what was in 100s of hours of tape and scouting trips on any of these guys. We don't know why they didn't kick a 45yd field goal in the SB instead of trying to go for it on 1st and 13, we don't know why the O-line turned into turnstyles and we don't know why Brady didn't seem able to scramble at all in that game. we have THEORIES and GUESSES but we ---- don't ----- know.

I'm one to complain when something happens that I think was outta wack, but I also am the first to admit that I have no clue about the real reason behind it. It's not so much drinking the koolaid or a blind trust in BB/Pioli, it's an acknowledgement that I don't have even close to enough information to make an accurate assesment of any decision this (or any) team makes.

but hey, that's just me. (again, no rollyeyes = no sarcasm)

What I personally think they should have done instead of Wheatley is pick Charles Godfrey, Justin King, Chevis Jackson or Tyvon Branch (all bigger than what we wound up with, two more midgets for the secondary).Since we didn't do that, I would have not traded out of the 3rd round, and would have chose Dan Connor, Justin King & Tyvon Branch, instead of Crable and a QB, though i do really like Crable. You asked what i would have done right instead of what I think they did wrong, well there you have it. We could have gotten a developemental QB in the 5th round, like the Jets did with Ainge or Minnesota did with Booty. A waste of a third round pick as far as I'm concerned. I liked every pick except for Wheatley & O'Connell.

I think a draft like this, would be a draft that would have made us much better than what we have now:

Mayo
Godfrey
Connor
King
OL

and the rest i was fine with. This way, you only have one small CB in Wilhite, and the other two have size AND speed ! Connor and Mayo are very versatile, and can play Inside and Out. I think this would be an incredible draft. But only time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I personally think they should have done instead of Wheatley is pick Charles Godfrey, Justin King, Chevis Jackson or Tyvon Branch (all bigger than what we wound up with, two more midgets for the secondary).Since we didn't do that, I would have not traded out of the 3rd round, and would have chose Dan Connor, Justin King & Tyvon Branch, instead of Crable and a QB, though i do really like Crable. You asked what i would have done right instead of what I think they did wrong, well there you have it. We could have gotten a developemental QB in the 5th round, like the Jets did with Ainge or Minnesota did with Booty. A waste of a third round pick as far as I'm concerned. I liked every pick except for Wheatley & O'Connell.

I think a draft like this, would be a draft that would have made us much better than what we have now:

Mayo
Godfrey
Connor
King
OL

and the rest i was fine with. This way, you only have one small CB in Wilhite, and the other two have size AND speed ! Connor and Mayo are very versatile, and can play Inside and Out. I think this would be an incredible draft. But only time will tell.

A few things:
-O'Connell has MUCH higher upside than both Ainge and Booty. That's why he went where he did despite playing at a smaller school.

-Although I have not seen that much of Godfrey, the few times I watched I noticed poor hips and burst - he's much more safety than corner IMO.

-Connor is an okay player, but isn't very athletic and undisciplined in his pursuit. Cut backs would kill him in this defense.

-King is just terrible. Can't believe anyone likes him. Yes he's fast as hell, but he can't cover a lick and is all athlete. Not the guy you want on this team.

-Picking an OL any later than round 3 would have resulted in the same thing that happened last year: populating the rosters of other teams. We only keep 9 OL, and even the backups are pretty solid.

BB and Pioli do have their flaws in how they approach the draft - they don't always seek out the best value for guys and reach here and there for guys they like. We all know that. However, to date their player evaluation has been as good or superior to every other team in the league. They are not perfect, but they are certainly better than you, me, or any other arm chair GM on this board. Then when you add in to the equation the hours they spent watching film and evaluating, while my (and probably your) opinions are formed on a select few Saturday afternoons, I honestly am consistently dumbfounded how people every year declare draft after draft to be a bust.

My only quibble would be that they didn't go for Colt Brennan. I love his toughness and think with a couple of year work he could be a starter somewhere.

And he would have fit in well here...we run a run and shoot offense, right? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back