PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard on the TE driven offense and it's hybrid driven counter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't always agree with some of Bedard"s speculative opinions, but when he sits down and writes about the game of football in general he offers one thing that is very rare in today's age of tweeter journalism......INSIGHT. You walk away from these articles knowing more than you did before. Understanding more than you did before, and perhaps getting closer to figuring out that elusive "Why", that we are always trying to figure out.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Mo. Kudos to you and BRAVO to Bedard.

INSIGHT!!! It is truly the widepsread lack of this that turns me off pre-game shows. That espn crew is the worst. I listen to these former players talk and I think, did they even look at a bit of film or interview any players or coaches. Dilfer and Jaworski at least look at film and offer some analysis. I wonder sometimes if these former receivers in particular (Carter and Johnson) know anything other than a route tree. Even Ditka doesn't sound intelligent. Has the game changed that much. Personally , I just think they are lazy and their preparation is reading some articles and stats and then show up on set and throw some worthless shock value opinions to see what sticks.

Greg mentions the same thing I've said here many times: Coach Belichick is playing chess, Master-Level Chess, mind you, while many of the other teams are still playing Monopoly or Chutes & Ladders.

I wouldn't put it that way- outthinking the opponent by being on another level is overrated. He simply has the ability to be self-critical, admit his faults and evolve/adapt.

I would think it's more of honestly acknowledging that when "you eliminate Moss and take away Welker, there's crap left, so let's take a look at the upcoming draft and see what we can do to eliminate that- this particular draft is rich in TE's so let's go in that direction and identify what works for us."

He also has the ability to bring out the best in players by playing to their strengths. Most coaches play with a "you fit in my system" mentality.

Gronknandez is truly a beastly combination. They really tore it up last year and the league, being a copycat league is scrambling to catch up. Talented tight ends are becoming real matchup problems. And more and more athletic guys in college are moving over to that position. The mismatch an athletic tightend like Hernandez poses creates havoc on defense! And then you've got Gronk who is a physical freak and moves like a gazelle for his size. It's crazy to try to defend against both at the same time!

2010 was really the year of the tight end and the Pats hit jackpot twice. Saints are also quite happy with getting Jimmy Graham, I'm sure.

Tavon Wilson was a headscratcher at first but given the Pats needs at safety and how quickly he has fit in, it looks like BB knows best yet again. Ebner, looks like anoher steal. An instinctive player who just 'gets it' and tackles very well at the safety position and offers athleticism we did not have at the position last season. Looks like a possible steal for us in the 6th.

A lot of talent on this 2012 Patriots squad. Now we have to wait and see how it all comes together. Very exciting year of football ahead of us!

Go Pats! :rocker:

Great reads.

This little anecdote I found interesting..

That’s why Patriots coach Bill Belichick has great relationships with college coaches such as Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, and Chip Kelly, and often visits them on campus.

That Chip Kelly was included is interesting. I have watched most of the Ducks games the past few years. And always kept saying to myself last year that the Pats no huddle was like the Ducks. And kinda of wondered if BB had maybe made a trip to Eugene or Chip to Foxboro.

I never could find anything putting them together. So I find it interesting that Chip was included in this paragraph on coaches BB visits and has relationships with.

maybe we need to get better college scounting and get some solid picks to smoke weed and have their stock fall in the draft.

I declare this a BRILLIANT idea!

Figure out who we want to Draft... then pull the ol' honey trap with drugs, hookers and some fast cars. If that doesn't work, we switch their urine sample for a positive!

Character Assassination a couple weeks before the draft.

BB drafts the "troubled personality" and turns him around.. he gets proven a genius, we get the best talent, all at bargain prices ;)

I declare this a BRILLIANT idea!

Figure out who we want to Draft... then pull the ol' honey trap with drugs, hookers and some fast cars. If that doesn't work, we switch their urine sample for a positive!

Character Assassination a couple weeks before the draft.

BB drafts the "troubled personality" and turns him around.. he gets proven a genius, we get the best talent, all at bargain prices ;)

Jet fans and Roger Goodell already suspect BB of such

maybe we need to get better college scounting and get some solid picks to smoke weed and have their stock fall in the draft.

I don't think it's possible for college kids to smoke any more weed.

Bedard is the best analyst we've seen around these parts, by a wide margin. Luckily, he does not seem to have the talent or inclination to be a TV personality and thus won't be stolen away by ESPN or NFLN--here's hoping he stays local.

I don't always agree with some of Bedard"s speculative opinions, but when he sits down and writes about the game of football in general he offers one thing that is very rare in today's age of tweeter journalism......INSIGHT. You walk away from these articles knowing more than you did before. Understanding more than you did before, and perhaps getting closer to figuring out that elusive "Why", that we are always trying to figure out.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Mo. Kudos to you and BRAVO to Bedard.

If you like stories like these, and want to see more of them, you might consider expressing your appreciation in an email to Bedard, and cc'ing his sports editor.

The readership's engagement with the content is equally important as their quantity to a publication, but the latter is so much easier to measure that it often has a louder voice when it comes to influencing editorial strategy.

The best way to show the Globe that stories like this, while not getting the most total page views, are the most likely to win the loyalty of the readers who care most about sports coverage.

Their respective emails, if you're so inclined:

Greg Bedard, Reporter - [email protected]
Sean Leahy, Sports Editor - [email protected]

Great reads.

This little anecdote I found interesting..

That Chip Kelly was included is interesting. I have watched most of the Ducks games the past few years. And always kept saying to myself last year that the Pats no huddle was like the Ducks. And kinda of wondered if BB had maybe made a trip to Eugene or Chip to Foxboro.

I never could find anything putting them together. So I find it interesting that Chip was included in this paragraph on coaches BB visits and has relationships with.

I'm a big fan of Alabama and knew of the relationship between Saban and Belichick. It goes back a long time. Coach also used to go fishing with Jimmy Johnson.

Regardless, I was thrilled to see Bama's Hightower get taken by the Pats. I think he'll do very well here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back