PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB thoughts on franchising Adam, free agency, draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
well

I don't see him going anywhere else. AV is a smart guy and he knows he is a hero forever in NE. If he goes somewhere else he doesn't get the endorsement deals that supplement the salary. In addition to that, if he plays out his career here--he could go into broadcasting, media outlett, ect... after his career! I think he will come back for a long term deal at a reasonable rate!

As last time, AV probably wants the highest pay in the league, guaranteed for three years, or more. The patriots didn't like guaranteeing money last time for a non-QB. I don't think they'll do it this time.

The patriots were not about to tag him and have him simply accept the $3.2M cap hit. Certainly, AV would have no incentive to negotiate anytime soon. THe patriots have decided that THEY are no going to be stuck with no having the tag available and having $3.2M of 2006 cap money allocated to a kicker, hoping that a deal can reduce it later.

With regard to promotion, I suspect that we overestimate how much auto commericals are worth in the Boston market. He'll do fine in Dallas, if he ends up there instead of here.

BTW, I don't see any other team, other than than the patriots and the cowboys, paying AV $3M a year. That alone says something about value.

mgteich said:
As last time, AV probably wants the highest pay in the league, guaranteed for three years, or more. The patriots didn't like guaranteeing money last time for a non-QB. I don't think they'll do it this time.

The patriots were not about to tag him and have him simply accept the $3.2M cap hit. Certainly, AV would have no incentive to negotiate anytime soon. THe patriots have decided that THEY are no going to be stuck with no having the tag available and having $3.2M of 2006 cap money allocated to a kicker, hoping that a deal can reduce it later.

With regard to promotion, I suspect that we overestimate how much auto commericals are worth in the Boston market. He'll do fine in Dallas, if he ends up there instead of here.

BTW, I don't see any other team, other than than the patriots and the cowboys, paying AV $3M a year. That alone says something about value.
Anyone else here think the Colts might be willing to, ahem, pony up $3M? :bricks:

Last edited:
Pats67 said:
Personally, I find their silence golden. Its an organizational philosophy that I think has worked well for them over the years. We want a bunch of negotiating in the papers just to keep us entertained while we wait for the games to return? I think any of us with any common sense understands the dynamics at work here, and in a week or so, we'll know whether Adam has decided that he wants his shot at FA and the big bonus payout. We don't need agents and lower level front office leakers to ratchet crap up in the same manner that's done elsewhere. I say thank God they handle these things in this way. Its one of the things I admire most about them.

Actually, you're right about that; I should have said that it can be frustrating.

This is one time that I have to go on record that I think BB is throwing a major BS ball around.

He doesn't know what they are going to do because the CBA isn't done.:eek: Does anyone really believe that the ultimate planner doesn't have a plan in place for any contigency??? Yea, he's going to just sit there with his hand on his ass while everyone else makes moves on 3/3??

Sometimes he's either too funny or he thinks that we are total idiots.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
This is one time that I have to go on record that I think BB is throwing a major BS ball around.

He doesn't know what they are going to do because the CBA isn't done.:eek: Does anyone really believe that the ultimate planner doesn't have a plan in place for any contigency??? Yea, he's going to just sit there with his hand on his ass while everyone else makes moves on 3/3??

Sometimes he's either too funny or he thinks that we are total idiots.

Nut, I just finished reading both volumes of Management Secrets of the NEP. I would have agreed with you about this before I read these books. But now that I have read them I KNOW you are right. BB has contingency plans for his contingency plans!

I don't think that he thinks we are idiots, but we should know better than to take his coachspeak as gospel! Not that this means anything, but Dale Arnold said on 'EEI today that AV will be re-signed by this time next week. Of course he also said the same thing about Theo, the day before Halloween! Okay, not the most reliable source!

There are 4 guys that it would kill me to see them in other uniforms, Tommy, Tedy, BB and Adam......this waiting game is making me crazy!

Bill's Girl said:
Nut, I just finished reading both volumes of Management Secrets of the NEP. I would have agreed with you about this before I read these books. But now that I have read them I KNOW you are right. BB has contingency plans for his contingency plans!

I don't think that he thinks we are idiots, but we should know better than to take his coachspeak as gospel! Not that this means anything, but Dale Arnold said on 'EEI today that AV will be re-signed by this time next week. Of course he also said the same thing about Theo, the day before Halloween! Okay, not the most reliable source!

There are 4 guys that it would kill me to see them in other uniforms, Tommy, Tedy, BB and Adam......this waiting game is making me crazy!

You just gave me two heart attacks. First that you agreed that BB was throwing a major bull**** ball today or was it yesterday?

The other is that WEEI actually mentioned football.

I don't know why but today his statement got to me. Maybe because I like all PAtriots fans are on pins and neddles waiting to see what happens.

Maybe I shoud just chill a little. But I'm going to keep my BB thing up on my sig all week until something happens.:singing:

Bill's Girl said:

Ahhhh me too - this is one in particular is driving me nuts as well......I just watched Combine kickers, are you kidding me, they suck so bad, I can outkick them. I can be had for 1/2MM and a small signing bonus.

Last edited:
Bill's Girl said:

Anyone who can wade through that turgid prose has my respect, and I have my own MBA. One of the most unreadable treatises I've ever seen. And yah, I did read it all. I gotter amit that it does describe BB's philosophy accurately. Many posting here are totally oblivious to BB's style.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Anyone who can wade through that turgid prose has my respect, and I have my own MBA. One of the most unreadable treatises I've ever seen. And yah, I did read it all. I gotter amit that it does describe BB's philosophy accurately. Many posting here are totally oblivious to BB's style.

Are you kidding, you did not feel MSNEP was a good read? I mean, no , it was not a Steven King novel, but I found it quite interesting in the same way one might read a diary or factoid type of book. MSNEP was chock full of insight, quips, quotes and overall interesting BB/SP/BK and overall New England Patriot content. A must read for a fanatic such as myself.

PATSNUTme said:
You just gave me two heart attacks. First that you agreed that BB was throwing a major bull**** ball today or was it yesterday?

The other is that WEEI actually mentioned football.

I don't know why but today his statement got to me. Maybe because I like all PAtriots fans are on pins and neddles waiting to see what happens.

Maybe I shoud just chill a little. But I'm going to keep my BB thing up on my sig all week until something happens.:singing:

Just because I wear Belichick colored glasses does not mean that I can't think he is full of it sometimes or incapable of making mistakes!

I am still confused about why he did not tag anyone. The only logical conclusion is that he knows he will be able to re-sign the guys he wants to re-sign, thus rendering the tag useless.....or I could be completely wrong and he does not want to have to pay the chunk of change that would go to the tagee?? We all know BB is two steps ahead of all of us!

This whole thing with Adam is unnerving because we have been told a deal was in the works for the last two years and nothing has happend! The other disturbing part of this is that Adam is 33, theoretically, he could kick well for another 10 years if he stays healthy. Why haven't the Patriots succeeded in wrapping him up long term?? Sheesh........my head hurts!

PatsWickedPissah said:

Did you read both of them? It was mentioned a couple of times there would be a volume three. Thank goodness it is not out yet or my head would explode! I got through both books in about 10 days!

fgssand said:
Are you kidding, you did not feel MSNEP was a good read? I mean, no , it was not a Steven King novel, but I found it quite interesting in the same way one might read a diary or factoid type of book. MSNEP was chock full of insight, quips, quotes and overall interesting BB/SP/BK and overall New England Patriot content. A must read for a fanatic such as myself.

I'm a day 1 Pats fan and read everything. As I said, I read it, but as a book(s) it was...awful. Every quip, etc. was a recap. No insight. The formula was a forced artifact.

Bill's Girl said:
This whole thing with Adam is unnerving because we have been told a deal was in the works for the last two years and nothing has happend! The other disturbing part of this is that Adam is 33, theoretically, he could kick well for another 10 years if he stays healthy. Why haven't the Patriots succeeded in wrapping him up long term?? Sheesh........my head hurts!

We were not told by BB.
The Pats can't wrap him up because (1) other teams will pay him FAR more than BB assesses his worth (though considerable) to the Patriots and (2) Adam like most folks somehow wants far more money than he needs. Adam's evaluation: EXTRA Money > perceived quality of life.

Won't it be wicked pissah when Adam signs with the Pats and you can dump all over me?

Bill's Girl said:

I'm not sure it is accurate to say we've been told a deal was "in the works for 2 years." I think the Pats have wanted to do a deal for 2 years and obviously the 2 sides have different ideas about what Adam is worth. That answers your question as to why they haven't been successful in wrapping him up long term.

The whole suspended agent thing has been one of the most overblown things I've ever seen on this board. After the Carolina SB Adam entered the last year of his contract. We all know that is when the Pats set out to wrap up their core players. 18 months later his agent got suspended - that wasn't what held up a deal. Now that he has an agent Tom Curran reported that no substantial negotiations have taken place this offseason. That means only 1 of 2 possible things:

1- the Pats have no interest in Adam (not a chance)
2 - the sides are so far apart there is nothing to talk about

Like it or not it looks like we should plan on a new kicker for 2006 and beyond. Less than week from free agency we can be certain that Adam has clear indicators of who wants him and what he is going to get on the open market - forget tampering rules because every team in the league violates them this time of year. He also knows what the Pats are willing to pay. If they are going to keep him at this point it would likely take an offer that beats what Dallas or whoever has let him know they have for him. I can't see BB/SP being willing to do that if the numbers are 3 million + a season.

Last edited:
OK, this is what I would have like to have seen BB say.

'We did not franchise Adam this year and he is a free agent. We do have plans in the works to TRY to resign the free agents that we have and would like to keep. We have plans in the works to TRY to sign other free agents that we think will help our team. But, as you know, there are other teams trying to do the same thing. We may not be able to sign all or any of the guys we want."

Now doesn't that make more sense and is more straight forward than that hog wash that he threw out?

He would have given nothing away as to their actual plans but he would not have insulted the intellegence of his fans.

dhamz said:
I'm not sure it is accurate to say we've been told a deal was "in the works for 2 years." I think the Pats have wanted to do a deal for 2 years and obviously the 2 sides have different ideas about what Adam is worth. That answers your question as to why they haven't been successful in wrapping him up long term.

The whole suspended agent thing has been one of the most overblown things I've ever seen on this board. After the Carolina SB Adam entered the last year of his contract. We all know that is when the Pats set out to wrap up their core players. 18 months later his agent got suspended - that wasn't what held up a deal. Now that he has an agent Tom Curran reported that no substantial negotiations have taken place this offseason. That means only 1 of 2 possible things:

1- the Pats have no interest in Adam (not a chance)
2 - the sides are so far apart there is nothing to talk about

Like it or not it looks like we should plan on a new kicker for 2006 and beyond. Less than week from free agency we can be certain that Adam has clear indicators of who wants him and what he is going to get on the open market - forget tampering rules because every team in the league violates them this time of year. He also knows what the Pats are willing to pay. If they are going to keep him at this point it would likely take an offer that beats what Dallas or whoever has let him know they have for him. I can't see BB/SP being willing to do that if the numbers are 3 million + a season.

Your analysis about the money is obviously correct, if they were going to pay him 3MM, they would have franchised him, unless indeed a cap freindly deal is in the works. That only brings about one problem- after this year - WHAT CAP?

This whole thing is pissing me off is all I know. The bastids are really screwing with their #1 asset, the fans. We should be enjoying the combine. attempts to sign our own, hunt for free agents and the draft right now. Instead we read and hear nothing but doom and gloom from every corner of the NFL world. I guess the lessons from baseball and hockey were go ahead, throw up on the fans they will always come back - all of that said, yeah, I admit it, I will follow this game no matter what. I have an NFL addiction.

fgssand said:
all of that said, yeah, I admit it, I will follow this game no matter what. I have an NFL addiction.

I'm in the same mode. Stressing over what the CBA will bring just isn't worth it. Hopefully they'll be lining up in September and the Pats will still be a top team no mater what so I'll leave the worrying to those that get paid to do so since I can't do a damn thing about it anyway.

fgssand said:
This whole thing is pissing me off is all I know. The bastids are really screwing with their #1 asset, the fans. We should be enjoying the combine. attempts to sign our own, hunt for free agents and the draft right now. Instead we read and hear nothing but doom and gloom from every corner of the NFL world. I guess the lessons from baseball and hockey were go ahead, throw up on the fans they will always come back - all of that said, yeah, I admit it, I will follow this game no matter what. I have an NFL addiction.

I've had a longer Patriots addiction, but I am quite confident that I can absolutely walk away from 40+ years of Patriots should an MLB style 'Buy the Lombardi' era arrive. I can't stand the wholesale flux of MLB team rosters and the absolute uncaring attitude of each season's temporary guest workers. The Red Sox's purchased championship and team aftermath is a prime example.

The NFL has had a nice mix of FA that allows players to make big money and teams to make good hiring decisions. But the rosters have a larger degree of stability than gypsyhood, making the entertainment emotional investment worthwhile.

PatsWickedPissah said:
I've had a longer Patriots addiction, but I am quite confident that I can absolutely walk away from 40+ years of Patriots should an MLB style 'Buy the Lombardi' era arrive. I can't stand the wholesale flux of MLB team rosters and the absolute uncaring attitude of each season's temporary guest workers. The Red Sox's purchased championship and team aftermath is a prime example.

The NFL has had a nice mix of FA that allows players to make big money and teams to make good hiring decisions. But the rosters have a larger degree of stability than gypsyhood, making the entertainment emotional investment worthwhile.

Well, as Seinfeld once said, in the end, we're really rooting for the laundry. At least I am. It's nice to have players like Brady, Bruschi, Brown, etc, who are apparently great guys to root for, but if they all left, they'd be replaced, and we'd have new favorite New England Patriots to root for. I got over Mike Haynes going to Oakland. I got over Curits Martin going to New York. When I was much younger and a Red Sox fan, I got over losing Lynn and Fisk, who were my two favorite players. And Dwight Evans years later.

My allegiance is to the Patriots, not to this group of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST