PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB rips Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
on at least 2 screen passes the Denver WRs were throwing blocks well before the screen pass was caught.

The refs were not inclined to call OPI on anyone (except for the mysterious touch one on Hooman).

When the refs are not calling anything, I guess it's smart to get away with it absolutely as much as possible.

good job Denver

Go Seahawks!

I think even in his most curmudgeonly moment BB agrees with this.

What he doesn't agree with is the sucker punch move by Welker. I mean it was fairly violent hit. If I were Talib I'd be looking for blood next time.

All kinds of picks, as in basketball. Can "rub" a guy off his stride which is enough to interrupt the play. Can be standing completely still and the other receiver runs his man into you. Or you can chart a full speed collision course. Welker did the latter.

Re: Belichick blasts Welker

BB needs to eat his crow. He underappreciated Welker and didn't appreciate Brady enough to make sure that he still had his most valuable weapon. He let the best slot receiver of all time end up on a team that already had two elite wideouts and a HOF QB. Bellicheck is reaping what he sowed before the season. Now he has to live with that. He did a great job at coaching a team that lacked a lot of explosive talent, but he created that burden himself.Unfortunately, his players never had a good shot at a SB this year because of it. They over achieved, but they had no business being in the SB or even the AFC championship game.

You need to think before posting.
While the Pats did very well considering the quality of starters on IR, the Patriots soundly defeated their AFC opponent in the previous game. It was not even close. What convoluted jamoke criteria do you propose for qualification to be in the AFCCG?

Rip Welker all you want but it sounds ridiculous. He gave his blood sweat and tears Ti the Patriot s and they wouldn't pay him what he was owed. Then they turn around and sign Amendola. Bellicheck should bash himself and admit that he was arrogant and dead wrong. Welker is about to get a ring with the enemy now. And worst of all he is helping Manning to pad his legacy over Brady to do it.

Patriots fans need to stop excusing Bellicheck's awful decisions as a GM. Brady needs help bad.
Just another Welker ball washer. Why don't you go kiss his rump on the Bronco's site. We sure don't need or want you here. The only ring he is going to get is the AFC championship ring like the rest of the Bronco's when Seatlle takes them apart. Then he can enjoy getting cut by the Bronco's and finishing his career playing for some team of losers.

the timing...the air is thinner there, the bail carries. They practice those throws at sea level. In the game at that altitude, the QB has to compensate. THAT is pretty friggin' hard to nail down in live play. It's just another example of home field advantage and why the Pats need to have home field advantage in a big game like this. As disappointed as I am that throw missed, Brady is the one who really feels it and his frustration must be acute today.

He's hearing it nonstop from Gisele :(

I think some people are really missing Belichick's point on the whole thing. He is making noise about it so the league takes notice of that type of play.

Thomas runs his route based on Welker, just look at the play, he doesn't take his eye off Welker until he is near him. I mean this play could be the #1 example of an illegal pick.

Broncos run the most and the dirtiest pick plays in the game and don't get called for it. Pats have a guy gingerly run into a LB and get flagged for it.

Also Mike Perreria is such a f'n schill. Had that been a play involving anyone other than the Broncos he would have said it was illegal. Ball was still in the air when Welker makes contact and also let's remember Manning rushed the ball on that because of pressure by Collins (iirc), if he had a little more time it would have been a lot more egregious than it was.

Stolen from elsewhere. I agree with it.

I wondered before the game if the Broncos would design plays to injure Talib. He was a single point of failure, the guy that the Patriots had no "next man up" for on the roster. As Belichick later pointed out, it was clear from the video that Welker was not running a route trying to get open. His assignment on that play was to hit Talib below the waist, wrecking him as he followed his man in coverage. Whether or not the hit took place before the ball arrived (it did not, but it was close) the hit was done with indifference to whether or when the ball was caught. It wasn't about blocking for a runner - there was no runner. It was about taking a free shot at a player looking the other way.

He's a football coach, I'm going to doubt that Belichick would be counseling the team take shots at a DB just because the refs are ignoring picks. As a fan, I have to admit, I'd find Welker's play OK if he were a Patriot. But I'd recognize that this is outside the lines of the game as it's played because of the high probability of injury.

For me, this is the equivalent of a leg whip or a chop block. Something with a high probability of causing injury, something players should refrain from doing.

I think Belichick is only guilty here of airing the proper perspective of a coach out in public, where he is going to be misunderstood.

In other words, BB is absolutely right in this case, but he shouldn't have mentioned it.

About the only plus to mentioning it is that it's going to draw some scrutiny to Denver's pick plays. I'm sure the Patriots made their concerns known before yesterday's game to the refs. apparently, it didn't draw much concern from the refs.

I think some people are really missing Belichick's point on the whole thing. He is making noise about it so the league takes notice of that type of play.

Thomas runs his route based on Welker, just look at the play, he doesn't take his eye off Welker until he is near him. I mean this play could be the #1 example of an illegal pick.

Broncos run the most and the dirtiest pick plays in the game and don't get called for it. Pats have a guy gingerly run into a LB and get flagged for it.

Also Mike Perreria is such a f'n schill. Had that been a play involving anyone other than the Broncos he would have said it was illegal. Ball was still in the air when Welker makes contact and also let's remember Manning rushed the ball on that because of pressure by Collins (iirc), had he had a little more time it would have been a lot more egregious than it was.
A small correction, just consider what Perriera said about the flag pickup on the Carolina game. He's just anti-Pats like the POS commissioner.

Examples, please.
He doesn't have any. It's so much easier for him to make a stupid claim and then ignore requests to prove it.

Oh wait, he chimed in with the Wilfork-on-Losman play from Sept. 2007, which isn't one of those dirty pick plays he says the Patriots are guilty of. Still waiting.

Rip Welker all you want but it sounds ridiculous. He gave his blood sweat and tears Ti the Patriot s and they wouldn't pay him what he was owed. Then they turn around and sign Amendola. Bellicheck should bash himself and admit that he was arrogant and dead wrong. Welker is about to get a ring with the enemy now. And worst of all he is helping Manning to pad his legacy over Brady to do it.

Patriots fans need to stop excusing Bellicheck's awful decisions as a GM. Brady needs help bad.
Welker shouldn't be ripped because he used to play for the Patriots? lol

Thanks for posting this.

Look at Thomas' head as he's coming off the line of scrimmage. He's clearly looking at Welker, not at Manning. He runs his pattern until he's running right at Welker, then bends back a yard or so toward the LOS and then turns his head around.

Plus Welker hits Talib BEFORE the ball gets to Thomas making it a pick and not a block.

Also I know it will never happen but these illegal picks that the Broncos constantly run should really take some of the shine off of Manning. Guy is suppose to be this great sportsman blah blah blah but the majority of his pass plays involve some sort of illegal pick.

If Brady was doing it as much as Manning there would be an emphasis to the refs to call it (hell the times I remember the Pats running obvious pick plays this year it seemed like the majority of them got called) and the Patriots would be heavily scrutinized.

Most pick plays the Pats run have the guy running the pick actually running a route, they are designed very well. Also most of them a run within the 5 yard chuck rule. Broncos are running them 10-20 yards down the field.

I'm not sure they were wrong about Welker. I watched him a lot this year and he seemed seriously declining to me. I know he caught a lot of balls, but honestly, on that team, if you had to hope one receiver could not play, you'd pick D. Thomas, hands down.

After him, you'd pick J. Thomas.

Then Decker.

It wouldn't be Welker, as amazing as he is. Think about it...pretend you're a coach about to play Denver. Welker is the FOURTH receiver you'd want out of there.

I'm not sure how much he's got left. Those concussions were brutal and it's clear to anyone who's watched him the last few years that he's had a bunch of them. I hope he steps out soon to protect his brain - if he didn't play next week, the Donkeys would put in Tammy and not miss a beat.

He's not special anymore. Still good, but...

As for Amendola, the Pats decided to try to fill the slot with someone they could count on for years to come. I separate the Amendola signing from the Welker let-go, because I think Welker was going regardless...he was pissed the Pats wouldn't pay him what he thought he had earned.

Book is still out on Amendola, but not a great start.

Call me a conspiracy nut but crap like this makes me think the NFL is rigged. Not like the WWE but in a way in which certain teams are "favored" to win.

At the same time, how is it that our stud corner can get knocked out of a game when hit by a midget receiver. Nuts.

Here is hoping that next year, we go 9-7, and keep Gronk and Talib out of the regular season and only play them in the playoffs.

I'm late to the thread, but did read pretty much all of it.

Here's my observations/opinions
  1. The Bronco receiver definitely seems to be looking at Welker for the coming pick.
  2. I don't think Welker was trying to injure and they seemed to hit shoulder to shoulder (or slightly below Talib's shoulder--- hence the ribs).
  3. Welker knew what we was doing and actually prepared the strike (leaned the shoulder in to focus where the contact would be made with him).
  4. Manning knew the design of the play. The ball was thrown for the point right after contact (though that is speculation on my part).
  5. BB never called the play one that intended to cause injury. He said take out, that could mean to take out of the play or the game. He's smart enough to say it i na manner that causes the most controversy and deniability. Well done. as people pointed out, it's to raise awareness of the tactic.
  6. Piera, the NFL tool, shouldn't say things that can easily be proven wrong. I'll have to watch in slow motion, but I believe the posters here when they say contact happened prior to the ball being caught. Also, I think you can say there's some intent on Welker's part that he knew contact was coming and that can easily be seen. The question would be, could welker have avoided the contact even if it was 1/10 of a second late? no because he had a guy lined up.
  7. I'd like to see multiple angles on that play. Especially one from behind the QB to see better how it developed.

That was a shoulder block! It wasn't that dirty. Belichick is being overly dramatic. Did he get this upset when that Cleveland defender dove straight at Gronk's knee?

The Broncos come to Foxboro again next season.

Based on what happens to Welker in that game I think we'll be able to tell what the Pats and Talib (assuming he's still here) really think about that play yesterday. Which could be nothing.

Watched the play a few times. It should have been called OPI if they were going to call Hooman's, no doubt. Might even be worth a fine because he did launch a bit.

Here's my take: Welker was on the get-beat-up end of last year's AFCCG. The Pats were abused, grabbed, speared, knocked cold (Ridley), and otherwise mauled.

The Ravens won the Super Bowl. Only Denver fans care about the lucky last-second miracle, only Pats fans care about the constant PI mauling and head-to-head and defenseless receiver shots not called in the AFCCG, only 9'er fans care about three consecutive penalties to preserve the Super Bowl Win.

To everyone else, the Ravens are just the champs...no one cares.

Welker learned well - he was showing the Broncos a video montage he put together of vicious hits, so they said after the game. He was coaching his team to fight like hell on every play and push the rules to the limit.

He did the same thing in the game, not only on the Talib play, but on a bubble screen where he leaped out like a mad-man, arms flailing at two Pat defenders (and before the ball was thrown - should have been another penalty). Welker tried to contribute as much as he could on every play, literally throwing his already-battered body around.

What do I say? This is how Superbowls are won, like it or not. It's no secret that the two teams that got there last year are known as brutal hitters who will get that last hit on the fallen ball-carrier on every play, or that this year's NFC champ is downright violent against receivers.

Nothing Welker did is worse than the way Mankins, leg-whip Cannon, trip-em Vellano, or crush-their-skull Spikes plays every game.

Welcome to the NFL, even the Polian/Gooddell post-concussive syndrome NFL.

BB said what he said to sting Welker and to get it out there blatantly and obviously that Denver is getting away with outright cheating on their constant pick plays. They've been doing it all year, a dozen times every game.

The Broncos come to Foxboro again next season.

Based on what happens to Welker in that game I think we'll be able to tell what the Pats and Talib (assuming he's still here) really think about that play yesterday. Which could be nothing.

He may not be there. considering they have to Re-up Decker, and they have very little money tied up in him for the 2014 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back