Welcome to PatsFans.com

BB: Jets defense "looks like they xeroxed the Ravens playbook."

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Tunescribe, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

#61 Jersey

Interesting stuff from BB on WEEI. He also said he was somewhat mystified by how Houston tried to block them. Said he expects the Green Beans to run a lot of screens -- "They're probably down there drawing up 10 or 12 different ones right now."

Also talked about Schottenheimer's offensive philosophy. I think the Pats will be ready for those guys.
  2. slash83

slash83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

BB knows exactly what to expect and how to attack a Rex Ryan defense. I expect a lot of screens to counter the aggressive nature of his defense with some down the field throws to keep them off balanced.
  3. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

I thought it was interesting to hear how close he came to just calling out the Texans for poor coaching, and how he noted that the Jets were winning the "3 on 3" type of plays, how Schaub wasn't getting rid of the ball, etc....

Houston did not fare well in that discussion.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I stated in the Sunday game thread discussion about how much of the Jets D came from the Ravens playbook and was mystified at why Houston hadn't done its homework. This is why I keep saying Ryan is utilizing Jenkins as his personal Ray Lewis, because many of those D packages have the same characterism with Jenkins motioning to hybrid LB on pressures up the middle.
  5. Gunnails

Gunnails Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I had heard that the Texans had a good O line, and that they follow a zone blocking scheme, smaller quick O linemen.

Texans appeard to make no adjustments after the half.
  6. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

#61 Jersey

I think pass blocking was the big concern at which the Texans failed miserably. I assume the Patriots will be better prepared for the Green Beans blitzing schemes.
  7. Gunnails

Gunnails Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

===============================================

They didn't look good in there run blocking either.

I am sure the pats will do better.

I am relly looking forward to the batlle between the O and D lines.
  8. NYCPatsFan

NYCPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Did BB actually say "....xeroxed the Ravens playbook"?
  9. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He sure did. He also said (paraphrasing)swapped the "Ravens" logo with a "Jets" logo to make the point to how similar the defensive playbooks are...Lol
  10. Mr. Pollard

Mr. Pollard Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Rex Ryan is using the same defense he used in Baltimore which resulted in a top 5 defense every year.

Damn he's dumb.
  11. Patriot Power

Patriot Power Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Miss the point much ?
  12. Shrekk

Shrekk Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

and that makes him dumb? LOL
  13. Mr. Pollard

Mr. Pollard Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No but I know you did.
  14. Patriot Power

Patriot Power Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, you clearly did, that much is apparent.

Bellichick wasn't ripping Ryan for using it, he was saying based on the film he's seen, you prepare for the Jets D the same way you prepared for the Ravens, not based on the schemes (or lack thereof) used in the pre-season.

If there was a shot at anyone in there, it was at Gary Kubiak for failing to recognize it.
  15. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ---- JAG ----- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

I think we see the return of Belichick's old favorite ... the s:Dfety blitz.;)
  16. NYCPatsFan

NYCPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, if the Jets D has the same plays and matches the intensity and physical play of the Ravens back then (as duplicated by the Gints during that SB), our O is certainly going have problems because (a) they did not do well during those games and got help from the bungling of a Ravens coach, and (b) if a healthy TB couldn't do that well back then, how will a rusty TB fare?

Thoughts?
  17. Sundayjack

Sundayjack Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

And I was surprised that he twice refers to the Jets as "Baltimore." Start at 00:20:00 and listen for 20 or so seconds. As when he said, "At times it was hard to watch that film and figure out how they were trying to handle some of the things that Baltimore was running."

Point made, coach.
  18. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

#51 Jersey

That gives the impression BB will be well prepared for this match.
  19. glm

glm Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

During the last Baltimore game, the wind was just horrible and was terrible for passing the ball in.
  20. Sundayjack

Sundayjack Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

More to the present, I don't think there can be much question that this was Bill Belichick's response dig at Rex Ryan for Rex's recent ring-polishing comments.
  21. stinkypete

stinkypete Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I disagree. I think that for Belichick to state that Ryan is "xeroxing the Ravens playbook" is actually quite complimentary to Ryan and the Jets. This is a Ravens playbook that is partially responsible for the team being a perennial defensive beast.

This Jets team reminds me in a big way of last year's Ravens team. The defenses are similar (to the point where former Ravens starters were brought in to fill in holes in the defense). Both teams are starting rookie QBs with below average receivers, above average offensive lines and very good, 3-headed rushing attacks. I don't think they are destined to go far this year, but I would not be shocked to see them sneak into the 5 or 6 seed in this year's playoffs.
  22. Shrekk

Shrekk Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

5 or 6 seeds seems very reasonable, we have a favorable schedule besides the first 4 games. Its set up in such a way where we will have "breaks" in between big games. We have a bye, then come back against the Jags, then 2 new england, then carolina, then TB and the bills, its quite manageable in my opinion, facing off against cincy and the raiders will work in are favor as opposed to playing the ravens like you guys are or the steelers/chargers like miami is.
  23. MrTibbs

MrTibbs Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How many times have the Patriots lost to a Ryan defense and how many points have they averaged per game? Does anyone know? I can't recall a tough game the Patriots had against the Ravens except for 07 but that was horrid conditions to pass the ball and Brady still put up 270+ passing yards.
  24. Sundayjack

Sundayjack Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I had to go back and confirm that I heard what I thought I heard. I just skipped through to the part where he starts talking about the Jets, so I can't tell you if there are any other slips of the tongue. This here starts at 00:20:00
  25. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

I wouldn't worry too terribly much about the Jets' defense. If I were a Jets fan, I'd be more worried about Sanchez surviving a collision with Big Vince. :cool:
  26. Sundayjack

Sundayjack Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't think there's any chance in hell that one coach would take that as a compliment from another coach. It's essentially saying, "You have no original ideas of your own," which may very well be true for ALL of the National Football League, but saying it out in public means somethings. That's a diss. Doesn't bother me. I'm tickled that he'd amp things up like that. Makes it all more fun.
  27. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Do you really mean Jenkins? They play two wildly different positions. Jenkins is HUGE. Please elaborate, either way. Thanks.
  28. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Disagree. Not sure why we'd assume using a similar playbook put in at his last team - to great success - is inherently contemptuous or demeaning. It's neither a put-down nor a compliment. It is, one might say, what it is.
  29. Little Big Head

Little Big Head Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Then, things really got wacky. On 3rd and 12, 6-4, 360-pound Kris Jenkins lined up on the left side before getting out of his stance and assuming a linebacker spot three yards off the line of scrimmage. Inside linebackers David Harris and Bart Scott crept up to the line and blitzed through the "A" Gap (between the center and guard). Jenkins rushed behind the two inside linebackers as part of a five-man blitz scheme. (Bryan Thomas, who lined up on the right edge, and Vernon Gholston, who lined up on the left side, both dropped into coverage). Harris hit Schaub as he threw an incompletion to kill the drive. (The Jets tried a similar package in the second quarter, but the Texans made the right call on a quick screen pass to RB Steve Slaton that resulted in a 14-yard gain).
    NY Jets Rewind: Analyzing the Good, Bad & Ugly from 24-7 win against Houston Texans in Week 1 - NJ.com
  30. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

...um, they better be...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.