PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB breaks down Bills defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Bills' defense a far different challenge for Patriots - CSNNE.com

Belichick went in-depth on the formational differences with Schwartz’ scheme.

“In Pettine’s scheme their base defense was primarily over so the defensive end was head up the tight end and the backside end was in a five-technique on the outside shoulder of a tackle sometimes with a guy outside of him – usually with another guy outside of him; the outside linebacker and two off-the-line linebackers,” Belichick explained. “The way that Jim plays it most of the time is the ends are outside the tight end and outside the tackle wide so it’s really hard to hook them. Then they have three off-the-line linebackers so they have a third guy, if you will, as opposed to the two off-the-line guys that they had last year in their base defense.

“Now, nickel is similar but different,” he added. “Now it’s a DB that could or couldn’t be in there depending on what the formation is. It’s seven-vs-six instead of eight-vs.-seven if you will. It’s a lot more split safety coverage. It’s a different scheme. I’m not saying one’s better than the other. They’re just different. Mario Williams, you could probably play him anywhere from nose to linebacker. The guy’s got tremendous talent so put him wherever you want in terms of athletic skills and he’d probably be able to – like Julius Peppers and those kind of guys. There’s not many of them, but they could probably play anywhere across the front, including middle linebacker if you trained them there. Hughes is a good edge player which is what Indianapolis drafted him as. That’s really where he is most of the time. If you go back and watch Tennessee’s defenses with [Kyle] Vanden Bosch, it’s the same, lining up the same place.”​

Just a great breakdown. I don't know how the Pats will fare but I am always glad how he is so on the ball with what is happening including all the players on the opponent team, rattling off their names and their draft history. Don't know how many head coaches in the league can do that.

Whenever BB drops knowledge like this, I wonder about what he knows but chooses not go into. Probably stuff he doesn't want opposing coaches to know that he knows/noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes