PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bart Scott signs with Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
More info PER rotoworld

Jets signed ILB Bart Scott to a five-year, $40 million contract.
Clearly, Scott was looking to max out. The "Mad Backer" turned down a deal from Baltimore worth $7.5 million annually to get $8 million a year from New York. Scott, 29 in August, will start inside next to David Harris. Rex Ryan is more familiar with Scott and figures to use him in the old Ray Lewis role while Harris takes on more blocks. Scott is a disruptive blitzer when given the freedom to do so. He's also durable and will be an IDP to target.

Scott's solid but they overpaid. His production won't match his contract.

i can still remember bart scott throwing the officials flag into the stands in the pats game.nyj will have balt style defense with a similar attitude which is what ryan prefers. i just hope they are out to injure people like ryan claimed after the tennesse playoff game when asked if chris johnson missing in the 2nd half helped his defense-he replied with a smile that the important point is he didnt finish the game.

Lose #1 QB and #2WR and TE, then bolster the defense? Seems odd, but then again, they have cap money available. I think this screams of Rex making a homer pickup though, which isn't a bad thing, unless you overpay:)

Peter King just stated on WEEI that a deal has not been officially signed as of yet.

right...he toured the facilities...announcement coming after 6 supposedly

Man, Jets are going to have a good D next year. Too bad their offense will be lucky to put up 10 per game.

I think we will move either Thomas or Vrabel inside to team with Mayo and Guyton at ILB.

I'd keep Thomas on the outside. He looked much more comfortable there. Besides Thomas to Pierre Woods is a much bigger downgrade on the outside than the upgrade Thomas to Bruschi is on the inside. And with a team that ranked among the league's WORST in pass pressure and 3rd down conversions allowed last season, can we really afford to downgrade on the outside?

The Jets got a very solid player in Scott. But they paid a price to do it. And they still don't have a very good QB. I'm far from sold on Clemens.

Last edited:
The gap is closeing. +1 for the Jets.:)

NFL net is reporting this isnt over yet. Apperently Scott has gone back to the Ravens to see if they will up their offer.

With Breakdowns in negotiations between Ray and the Ravens might they up their offer.

interesting....

NFL net is reporting this isnt over yet. Apperently Scott has gone back to the Ravens to see if they will up their offer.

With Breakdowns in negotiations between Ray and the Ravens might they up their offer.

interesting....

According to PFT, Scott is giving the Ravens a chance to match or beat their offer. Apparently the Jets were blindsided by this although Scott's camp say that his side always said that it was always a condition of negotiation that he would allow the Ravens to counter once he had an offer in writing.

LOL! Wrong way Tannebaum strikes again.

SportingNews.com - ProFootballTalk?

ESPN Radio confirmed Bart Scott has signed with the NYJ :)

Now that my first post is outta the way, can I get a cute little Troll assigned to me as my avatar?

Here's Rex Ryan's take on Bart Scott:

NFL Nation - ESPN

Some notable quotes: "... with Bart, you get a guy who's young. He's got as good of coverage skills as any inside linebacker in the game. He's a violent player that plays with great passion."

"I think the flexibility we have with David Harris and Bart Scott is just going to be difficult to identify who the mike is. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but, trust me, it is. The offense is setting protections against a mike linebacker. If they can't find him, that's going to give them some problems, and I think those two guys right there are going to be quite a pair. When you look at our linebacking corps overall, we probably have as good of a linebacking corps as there is in this league, probably right up there with Baltimore and really anybody else."

He's probably right. With Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott, David Harris and Calvin Pace the Jets have a very strong starting 4. If Gholston can actually make some progress they will be very good, especially playing behind Kris Jenkins. If the Jets sign Jim Leonard from Baltimore then with Rhodes and Leonard at S and Revis, Lito Sheppard, Dwight Lowry and Corey Ivy they will have a solid DB corps as well.

I don't know how they are paying for all this, and they may be in salary cap hell soon, but their signings certainly make them stronger.

Which will make it all the more fun when we still shred them, and the Jets fans on Gangreen flood the board with "we still can't beat the Pats" posts. :singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results