Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Warning: BSPN link...

Stacking the NFL's best defenses

Pats rated #4. Above them, Minnesota, Denver and Seattle. Hey, I'm just thankful the D is getting the street cred it deserves.

Denver D is scary.....but also "only" tied for 8th in the league in PPG

Minnesota made Aaron Rodgers look stupid and then in Charlotte, made Cam Newton look stupid. On current form they are the best defense in the league.

No they aren't. The Pack played like hot garbage in that game. The Panthers are overrated, as the SB pointed out.

They are very, very good but they don't have the horses a la Denver or NE to make it last.

No they aren't. The Pack played like hot garbage in that game. The Panthers are overrated, as the SB pointed out.

They are very, very good but they don't have the horses a la Denver or NE to make it last.
Yeah, because the Minnesota defense forced the Packers to play poorly just like the Denver D forces opposing offenses to play poorly.

This is one of the problems I have with NFL appraisal. People say the Cardinals O played poorly against the Patriots. ********. The Patriots D forced them to play poorly. Same goes with Minny and Denver this season.

Yeah, because the Minnesota defense forced the Packers to play poorly just like the Denver D forces opposing offenses to play poorly.

This is one of the problems I have with NFL appraisal. People say the Cardinals O played poorly against the Patriots. ********. The Patriots D forced them to play poorly. Same goes with Minny and Denver this season.

So wrong. Just so, so wrong. I watched that game as my GF is a Packers fan. The offense stunk it up against Jax (they area great D, right?) and stunk it up against Minny. Missed reads, bad throws etc. They got untracked against the Lions this past week. It took 2 weeks to finally click.

So no, not the same. Again. They are very good, but time will tell.

So wrong. Just so, so wrong. I watched that game as my GF is a Packers fan. The offense stunk it up against Jax (they area great D, right?) and stunk it up against Minny. Missed reads, bad throws etc. They got untracked against the Lions this past week. It took 2 weeks to finally click.

So no, not the same. Again. They are very good, but time will tell.
The problem you appear to have is working from the assumption that I haven't watched the games because I can tell you, I have. You're also further compounding your problem by somehow attempting to use Detroit's D as a unit you shouldn't expect to exploit. They're one of the worst units in the NFL. In fact, they're terrible.

I completely disagree with you on this subject.

The problem you appear to have is working from the assumption that I haven't watched the games because I can tell you, I have. You're also further compounding your problem by somehow attempting to use Detroit's D as a unit you shouldn't expect to exploit. They're one of the worst units in the NFL. In fact, they're terrible.

I completely disagree with you on this subject.

Ahhh. Another person who will be like those who got all up in my sh*t for saying (correctly) that the Cards aren't a top 5 because they have the ability to puke all over themselves anytime.

I'm not attempting to compound anything. Just look at the timing and missed throws in the first 2 games versus the one this last weekend. Not coincidentally, Jordy Nelson looked like Jordy Nelson this weekend, which in turn unlocks the offense.

I don't have the problem. You do. And you will be proven wrong as the season goes along. And I will enjoy it. Greatly.

We seemed to have developed some kind of complex on this forum where no other team can be good at an aspect of football. News flash there are good teams out there not called the Patriots.

Ahhh. Another person who will be like those who got all up in my sh*t for saying (correctly) that the Cards aren't a top 5 because they have the ability to puke all over themselves anytime.

I'm not attempting to compound anything. Just look at the timing and missed throws in the first 2 games versus the one this last weekend. Not coincidentally, Jordy Nelson looked like Jordy Nelson this weekend, which in turn unlocks the offense.

I don't have the problem. You do. And you will be proven wrong as the season goes along. And I will enjoy it. Greatly.
No, not really. I happen to believe the Cardinals have a serious handbrake playing Quarterback. Put him under pressure and he wilts. Are they a top 5 team? I wouldn't think so, definitely not on what we've seen of them this season. That said, for the most part, the Patriots contained David Johnson (outside of his one big run) and that's what I wanted to see. The simple fact is, you still have to perform and the Patriots did.

You can harp on about Jordy Nelson looking like himself until the cows come home. He's a super player and sure, it'll take time but that Vikings D kept Rodgers to 5.9 yards per pass and held the rushing attack to 3.6 yards a carry. You can argue Jordy Nelson all you like but it's not exactly surprising he'd look like his old self against a D giving up 28.3 points and 379 yards a game after including an anaemic Titans O in the list of teams played.

The problem here is you appear to think very highly of your opinion. In my experience, that works out real well for posters. The Vikings D is legit and on current form, the Vikings D has claims to being the best in the NFL. Will that hold? As you said, time will tell.

Minnesota made Aaron Rodgers look stupid and then in Charlotte, made Cam Newton look stupid. On current form they are the best defense in the league.
I agree that they are playing great.

But I think there is a difference between regular season defenses and playoff defenses.

But I think there is a difference between regular season defenses and playoff defenses.

Last year they held the seaatlle to 10 in the playoffs. They were a 27 yard FG away from a win. One game is hard to know if they are or are not a playoff defense. Right now they are playing lights out though. As neuteral I am excited to be going to see them vs the cards in November.

We seemed to have developed some kind of complex on this forum where no other team can be good at an aspect of football. News flash there are good teams out there not called the Patriots.
Yes

No doubt and I agree that prolonged form counts for much but right now, to discredit the performance of a defense on the basis of "oh, the other team was off" is crap.

Minnesota is playing damn well on D, probably the best in the league right now. There's nothing outrageous about disclaiming right now. That may very well change in a few weeks.

No doubt and I agree that prolonged form counts for much but right now, to discredit the performance of a defense on the basis of "oh, the other team was off" is crap.

Minnesota is playing damn well on D, probably the best in the league right now. There's nothing outrageous about disclaiming right now. That may very well change in a few weeks.

I agree. The only think that will hurt the MN D is the MN O.

I have to put Denver #1 on D so far. They're playing the same D they played last year and no one has figured out how to beat them in crunch time.

Minnesota looks REALLY good on D - I want a bigger sample size before putting them alongside Denver.

Again, though, Denver is very top-heavy. They need to stay healthy or fall through the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back