Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bait and switch

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by TX_Patriot, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TX_Patriot

TX_Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just a quick thought that came to me today. Do you think BB could pull out one of his old tricks and use this focus on Edelman to bait Eli? Basically, put Edelman and McCourty on the same side, Julian at CB and Devin at S and then switch them at the snap. BB used this trick against Peyton with Rodney and Ty to great effect in the 2003 SB run if I remember correctly. What do you guys think?
  2. strngplyr

strngplyr On the Roster

Ratings:
    +261 / 3 / -0

He used a similar coverage in a few games this season where he had one DB lined up who would then drop out of that assignment at the snap and another DB would take over.

I could see it happening if he trusts his players to do it in the biggest game.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  3. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +596 / 20 / -14

Edelman played 125 snaps all season on defense. He played ZERO in 3 of 4 games from week 13-16. He played 4 vs Denver.
    Over half of his snaps were in the Buffalo game when he played 41 straight snaps as a tryout, and last week when he played 27 because Arrington was injured for 24.
    At best he is the 6th DB, and more likely 7th, and we used 6 DBs on zero plays vs the Giants in week 9.
    It is much more likely that Edelman doesn't see the field on defense than it is that we have a gameplan trick revolving around him.
    The real trick is the Giants are so focussed on a guy they probably won't even face.
  4. Lurks_All_Day

Lurks_All_Day Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

That's the ultimate bait 'n switch!
  5. JJDChE

JJDChE Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm still waiting for the Edelman flea flicker.
  6. TX_Patriot

TX_Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I totally agree with your sentiment here, I don't think he'll be out there on D either...but...I kinda wonder if BB would play him a couple snaps just to see if Eli automatically goes that way and take a chance on jumping a route. I wouldn't do this with the game in the balance or late in the 4th. I don't know, after writing this out, I'm talking myself out of it. lol!
  7. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +596 / 20 / -14

Interesting but it would rely on Manning basing the play on his WRs comments during the week and not what he sees in coverage.
  8. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

I think the Giants should be focusing like a laser on facing Edelman as a DB and Solder as a pass-catching TE. I also hope they've devoted at least one practice to stopping Shane Vereen.
  9. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

if only they had one more semi-solid type of CB, someone who might be over paid but who cares - the money is going unusued and you're under the cap - someone like..... leigh bodden
  10. PittPatriot

PittPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

If we don't see at least 1 Edelman flea flicker or reverse, I will be disappointed. He has the ability to make something happen even if the play falls apart.
  11. strngplyr

strngplyr On the Roster

Ratings:
    +261 / 3 / -0

That guy who nobody picked up after getting released because he has a bad back?
  12. Patriotic Fervor

Patriotic Fervor Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yeah, yeah - that! Yeah, that's the ticket, alright!:D
  13. 37Harrison

37Harrison Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -2

#37 Jersey

Seriously doubt it, McCourty and Edelman ar no where close to being the talents that Ty and Rodney were. Although I have been known to be wrong in the past. Just don't think BB trusts those guys to be able to pull it off effectively.
  14. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +596 / 20 / -14

If he was the Bodden of old and he was healthy he would be here. Instead we have other guys who give us a better chance to win, such as Sterling Moore, who is in Boddens place.
  15. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0

If this happened (big IF), then I'd say McCourty shades up to the line and does act as a CB as you sggest, but Julian would get sent o na corner blitz (blind side naturally).
  16. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

The guy can throw the ball. If it is not there, he can run. The guy can run the ball. A TD by Edelman through a trick play is right up there with Brady's Jacksonville Heist.
  17. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

how many draft picks did the patriots trade or use to acquire the three or four other players that have filled in the defensive backfield this year? apparently nobody wanted them either and they were actually healthy.

if Bodden had not been put on IR, it's possible he could be playing by now. They do it every year whether it be Wright or Vollmer or remember the last good years for Eugene Wilson.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  18. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure the BB would do that. Edelpeson is a liability on defense. We all know it. He may see the field a bit to spell a winded or injured player, but I don't think he'd be deliberately be put on the field unless he had to be.

I would bet anytime that he spent practicing on the defense this past couple weeks continued to emphasize the fundamentals of coverage and secondary play. I doubt, based on watching his efforts out there game to game, that he's progressed to the point that they would have wasted a lot of practice time on advanced scheming like that.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  19. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 1 / -0

TD from Edelman to Solder? :eek:
  20. andrewgarrr

andrewgarrr Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Down 4 points with 12 seconds left in the fourth quarter:

70 yard catch and run from Edelman to Chad Ochocinco for 6 points.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.