PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atlanta's Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would disagree. Winning in Denver is always a good win as is a game with the Seahawks. The win against a red hot Packers team was impressive.

The same was said against the 2001 patriots team with their 24th ranked defense.

Ill give them denver. But the seahawks were a disaster on defense after the earl thomas injury.

And the packers were a decimated team being held together by tape. I don't consider that win too impressive. A horrible defense, no healthy wrs, no running back, and an ol dropping like flies. They nearly blew a huge lead the week before if it wasnt for some rogers heroics. So they really needed to play perfect to win at all. The missed fg and fumble at the one yard line sealed it

I also noticed Brady had lots of luck moving straight up in the pocket. Will he be able to do that against the Falcons? Where does Beasly get most of his sacks?

Beasley is an edge rusher so he will be handeled by canon or solder.

Beasley is an edge rusher so he will be handeled by canon or solder.

That is good. I think Brady likes being able to move straight forward in the pocket and being able to push the edge rushers wide could work out to the Pats advantage.

They need to run right at Beasley, guy is a pure pass rusher who doesn't excel at run defense. He also lines up so wide at times I believe the Pats could exploit it.

I'm trying to think of the last time Pats fans would say that. It had to be during the first half of the dynasty.
Personally I don't buy "defense wins championships", but the reality is the second half of "the dynasty" we have only won one, as fun as our offense has been.

In a one game season, rankings don't matter it's all about matchups.

Personally I think Blount and Lewis will have a field day if the Pats choose to play ground and pound. Those quick LBs might be a liability against the run.

Ill give them denver. But the seahawks were a disaster on defense after the earl thomas injury.

And the packers were a decimated team being held together by tape. I don't consider that win too impressive. A horrible defense, no healthy wrs, no running back, and an ol dropping like flies. They nearly blew a huge lead the week before if it wasnt for some rogers heroics. So they really needed to play perfect to win at all. The missed fg and fumble at the one yard line sealed it

Of course, the Falcons lost at home to the Chiefs in December. The Chiefs turned the ball over twice, gave up passes and yards to the backs and Julio Jones, allowed the Falcons to run the ball, gave up four TDs and still won the game.

The Chiefs lost at home in the playoffs to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh was basically dominated by the Patriots. So . . . there's that, fwiw.

I'm trying to think of the last time Pats fans would say that. It had to be during the first half of the dynasty.
I say it every super bowl

All i want to know since i haven't watched atlanta is do they have the talent to rush up the middle and move TB off his spot like the texans. Because if they don't i see brady slicing and dicing them.

All i want to know since i haven't watched atlanta is do they have the talent to rush up the middle and move TB off his spot like the texans. Because if they don't i see brady slicing and dicing them.
Nothing out of the ordinary. It's certainly not a bad matchup for us from that standpoint.

I had started watching the Falcons/Packers game but stepped away when the score was 10-0 but the packers were close to scoring. I came back and it was 17-0. I was a little surprised but the game looked to be over. Anybody here watch the full game?

I had started watching the Falcons/Packers game but stepped away when the score was 10-0 but the packers were close to scoring. I came back and it was 17-0. I was a little surprised but the game looked to be over. Anybody here watch the full game?

Better yet where can we watch the full game.

Found the game we will eat There defense alive. On the first 2 GB possession they drove down the field with ease. Down to there what 8 th string RB now GB ran it 3 times to 10 passes even though they were gashing Atlanta on the ground. The FB who fumbled was on his way to a 15+ carry in a Blount type way. Cobb/Nelson were open on both drives they should have had 10 points. Blount will get 100 yes this game you can book it. And they won't stop Lewis when we go no huddle and catch them in Nickle.

No doubt in my mind we put up 30 on them especially when you include that tweet that Atl struggles in red zone defense and tackling.

Well, Packers just could not defend anything with that makeshift defense, Ryan was picking on Gunter and Rollins all day long. Besides, Green Bay had no running game outside of Rodgers and that fumble came after first good run of about 10 yards. In 2nd half, they had TD drives mostly fueled by Cook catching passes behind LBs. I guess, if we want to inflict serious damage on Sunday, we will have to rely on Bennett and Lewis/White much more than against the Steelers.

Thread title is an oxymoron.

Well, Packers just could not defend anything with that makeshift defense, Ryan was picking on Gunter and Rollins all day long. Besides, Green Bay had no running game outside of Rodgers and that fumble came after first good run of about 10 yards. In 2nd half, they had TD drives mostly fueled by Cook catching passes behind LBs. I guess, if we want to inflict serious damage on Sunday, we will have to rely on Bennett and Lewis/White much more than against the Steelers.

Thanks, I stepped away right before that fumble and before you knew it, Atlanta had scored again. I have noticed in the highlight portions of Julio Jones, he basically runs a crossing route that he takes for an extra 20-30 yards. And on many plays, he is in single coverage. Not sure what teams were thinking.

Thanks, I stepped away right before that fumble and before you knew it, Atlanta had scored again. I have noticed in the highlight portions of Julio Jones, he basically runs a crossing route that he takes for an extra 20-30 yards. And on many plays, he is in single coverage. Not sure what teams were thinking.
Packers had no one to cover with. At some point Hyde, Randall and Brice all went down with the injuries, so they were playing the same set of DBs for consecutive drives, Ryan merely exploited the most favorable matchup and that was usually against Gunter who was mostly a train wreck during the regular season.

As for Jones, I checked his game log for 2015 because I was pretty sure he had even better season (and yet everybody is talking how great he was this year) - 9 games over 100 yards, 13 games over 88 yards, only one "bad" game (38 yards versus Houston where the Falcons had 42-0 lead midway 3rd quarter). They had Freeman, Coleman, Tamme, Toilolo, Hardy last year as well and went 8-8. I think this year difference is Sanu (instead of washed up White) in RZ and Gabriel as a speedster, they are the ones to be "shut down" because it is damn hard to take Jones completely out of the game.

I heard these 3 points from talk shows:

1. Atlanta D statistically shows up bad because they are leading by 30 points by 4th quarter and hence most of the score is garbage time points by opponents in 4 th Q.

2. They lost 4 games when Atlanta ran below 90 yards. They have 2 good RBs who are doing so well last 8 games that it will be difficult to stop their run.

3. Even if you control Jones (where he was held < 50 yards), they Won. In fact they lost 4 games in which he had > 100 yards. So it is not all about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick