PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante's asking to be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Assante's asking to be traded?

Bleh. **** you, Asante. Trade him for another 1st rounder and I am pumped.

I find Asante more annoying than Branch in this instance. Branch never spoke to the media about his hold out. Never as far as I know.

Branch said he would not hold out. what happened?

how much has Asante talked to media? twice? One time he said talks are going well and now

just teasing

I liked Asante a LOT when he was first drafted, but a couple of inconsistent seasons made me skeptical. 2006 was a great thing, but I think the FO is like me--cautious about which #22 they get with a long term deal. I'd like to keep him around for the right price, but it doesn't seem like the FO wavers much from their initial offer. Either Asante sucks it up (and no--playing for $XXXX millions isn't a 'hometown discount' IMO), or the team deals him and we get equal value. The only reason the Branch deal took so long to close, was the rest of the NFL FO's had some massive brain fart that the NE FO would waver.

if they were so cautious why franchise him? Supposivly he doesnt want the 8 yr $80 mill that Clements got . He wants a 5 year $33 or similar (reported)

Maybe Washington will do the swap they offered Chicago for Briggs. The #6 for the #28 and Samuel. Then the Pats can draft Landry and move Wilson to CB.

You are dancing around what I said.

I didn;'t say Samuel never made a difference.

When someone said we should have signed Samuel instead of all those FAs, I said that Thomas-Welker-Stallworth-Washington-Brady-Morris makes a bigger difference to our team than does Samuel.

If you are saying keeping Samuel makes our team better than adding all those guys, then we simply disagree.

Also, they have been trying to resign the guy, and they still have the cap space still. He must want more than some think. He's had so much hype lately I wouldn't be surprised.

Giving in to Branch w/trade has caused Asante mess now!

F--k You Asante Samuel!!!!!!!!!

Franchise him to see if 2006 was a fluke year or to get the maximum value for him.....that is why I think it happened.

Re: Giving in to Branch w/trade has caused Asante mess now!

Amen brother.

Maybe Washington will do the swap they offered Chicago for Briggs. The #6 for the #28 and Samuel. Then the Pats can draft Landry and move Wilson to CB.
I like that ****. :D

I was worried about this when I first heard about his "Get Paid" tattoo. I tried warning people about this over on ESPN. It seemed I was correct when his agent sad they wouldn't be happy with the franchise tag, but once NE placed it on him he seemed happy. I was surprised because I fully expected him to pull a Deion. Now that it seems he could be starting down that road, I'd trade his azz. I'd take Dallas' first round pick for him. Trust me they could use a good CB, and would be happy to trade.

This could actually play out perfectly. It's before the draft so there could be more teams interested.

I'll take my three first rounders

Dallas or TN--the magic that could happen from 3 #1s is...well...I'm salivating considering it...

Branch said he would not hold out. what happened?

how much has Asante talked to media? twice? One time he said talks are going well and now

Prior to getting franchised Asante's agent said they would be extremely dissappointed, so they've actually talked to the media tree or four times, that I can remember. I know he seemed alright with being franchised after it happened, but that was only if a long term deal was worked out. I also think he talked to the media one more time (recently) and said things were going well. this time he said things arent going well.

For all you new guys, no doubt fans for years, but probably a little new to the round-the-clock attention to players leaving and arriving...

One of the things that's great here is all the resources... cap resources, roster resources, people resources... poke around. It's great. It puts roots to all those things we all say like "Well, that's the salary cap for ya..."

Which is basically true, you can say it about all the offseason moves and non-moves. The Samuel situation may be a non-move, when it's all said and done (just like the Branch situation.)

Big news dudes: The Pats didn't have a great offseason because they signed a bunch of players. They didn't have a great offseason because they signed two real marquee guys in that mix. They had a great offseason because they didn't overpay in terms of either guaranteed money, or in terms of average salary per year. It's one team trademark.

And they don't stay competitive year in and year out because God loves them.

They win because they put themselves in a position to win. They exercise incredible discipline in setting a value for a player, and sticking to it.

Somebody else well may value Asante higher. THAT IS OKAY.

I thought we may be headed this way based on the tattoo etc., but things had died down. I was ready for it to go this way then, and I am ready now, and if a little pissant fan like me is ready, you gotta know that the front office and Belichick are ready.

By the way, interceptions? Wannahaves, not gottahaves. Coverage? That's a gottahave. Samuel wasn't bad in that department either, mind you... but he is, whether he understands it or not, expendable.

PFnV

the pats hold all the cards samuel will not let 8 million go hes made about 4 million in 4 years the pats need to stand strong, that what franchising is all about , if they dont like it let him sit , the franchise players really have no leverage, thats a ton of money to leave on the table, lets face it hes had one good consistent year, him and his agent are playing games but it wont work hell be the starting corner, if not let him sit and collect 0, its not going to happen

We didnt give in on the Branch trade....... if we did we would off payed him. We didnt, hes a Patriot system player, just like Asante. Lets see what team we can rip off now.

Um.. If they gave Branch a contact.. Then you'd be saying " Now giving money to Branch caused Samuel to want money"..

What choices do you have? Trade or Sign.. Can't bench him the entire year..
So they traded and got value.. What happened to Branch has no barring on what will happen with Samuel..

This is already all over the Jets board.They want to give up # 25 for him.

They won't even get close enough to smell his breath. BB will not do business with the Jets.

Last edited:
Hes a system player that fits well with us. He wouldnt fit anywhere else and be half as productive. Remember, at the start of last season he would be lucky to be considered in the top 30 CB. Now with like 8 fluke INT and only 2 really good plays. He is going to get like 70 million. Man I wish I was an NFL player.

Hes a system player that fits well with us. He wouldnt fit anywhere else and be half as productive. Remember, at the start of last season he would be lucky to be considered in the top 30 CB. Now with like 8 fluke INT and only 2 really good plays. He is going to get like 70 million. Man I wish I was an NFL player.

What's your 40 time?

So...could we trade, Asante & #28 to say the Redskins for #6. We could get LaRon Landry which would be perfect.

I agree to a point. Does he thrive in our system.. Absolutely.. So he has more value to us than any other team. Does that translate to more money.. No.. I don't know what the value of the contract is but hopefully Samuel realizes that he will have a better chance of earning every dollar here, compared to another team..

So...could we trade, Asante & #28 to say the Redskins for #6. We could get LaRon Landry which would be perfect.

That would make my offseason. Landry is a mini Rodney Harrison, IMO. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back