PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante's asking to be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya cause Gaffney was instrumental with his 3 catches. :rolleyes:

If our defense had been more fit for some fourth quarter football we would have one. So we cant blame Caldwell for everything.

Caldwell beat the Chargers with his catch. If that series is not converted into a FG, Chargers win that game.

I know a lot of folks seem to think Asante's one pro-bowl caliber season was a fluke, but really, there's absolutely no evidence to argue that this is the case, as opposed to him being a young player just hitting his stride.

Think about it: he was a nickel back his rookie season, he played ably if not outstandingly his 2nd year, thrown into the #1 CB role after Law + Poole both went down, and struggled in the 1st half of 2005... along with everybody else on the Pats' defense.

Thing is, he actually showed signs of his career-year to come down the stretch in 2005, and into the playoffs. (It wasn't his fault that his PERFECT coverage on a 40 yard bomb was laughably deemed "interference.)

In '06, I felt, at first, that his INTs were causing the media to overrate him, but as the year went on, he really played some sterling cover corner.

You look over his career, and you see a guy making steady progress. That doesn't say "fluke year" to me.

I just don't want them to hang on to this and hope things work out like we did with Branch. And then get screw in the end with a bunch of unused cap and a hole in the lineup. They need to step up and either fork over the cash or make a trade at the draft.

That being said, Asante is better than anyone we pick up in the draft or are able to trade for. Aside from all the fantasy trades, we are less without him.

Re: Assante pack your bags your going to the No Frickin Chance at a superbowl Confere

The Redskins can trade their #6 and Springs for Samuel and #28.

You cant say that there is a 0% chance of it happening.
Hey, if they're willing to give up theie #6 for Briggs and #32 then they should jump at Samuel.

Asante has four choices:

1. He can sign a tender for a whole lot of money.
2. He can sign a deal for a whole lot of money with any team willing to ship two picks to NE. I bet if he does this after the draft they'll be 2008 and 2009 picks.
3. He can reach a long-term agreement with NE for a whole lot of money.
4. He can hold out and see what that gets him.

Apparently, NONE of choices 1-4 is likely to get him exactly as much money as he'd get if he weren't franchised. Boohoo.

man...the pats might actually have 3 first round picks in the 07 draft if they can strike such a deal.

that is crazy

It's kind of a 2-way street. True, NE had a better record and made it deeper in the playoffs without Branch or Givens. But imagine having at least one of them on the field in any one of our losses (especially the Denver game) - the 2006 Pats could have been another 14-2 squad, with at least a bye and a better shot at the SB.

Things being as they are, I'm glad we found some surprises in Caldwell and Gaffney while beefing up with Stallworth and Welker.

Caldwell had a career year, but I still think he's going to be a perpetual space cadet. Just as you could win an easy bet Kevin Faulk fumbling every 10 to 12touches, so you could easily sense Caldwell having a drop on a pivotal 3rd down play.

I like what I saw out of Gaffney. I think he comes out of his breaks almost as quick as Branch did and seems to fight to make things happen after the catch.

I think he'll have another productive season, but it'll be his last with the Pats. I doubt they'll fight to hard to resign him. Come 2008-2009, especially if we win a Super Bowl, your receiving corp will be Welker, Gaffney and Jackson.

Re: Assante pack your bags your going to the No Frickin Chance at a superbowl Confere

If Asante went to the Redskins I'd laugh so hard. He would get his money and be happy. But then when the season came around, reality would hit him.

Oh, the topic at hand....this is all calculated....the Pats tend to go slow with their own players' contract negotiations....he wants something done now... he knows and the Pats know that no team will give up 2 first-rounders for him.

The Redskins can trade their #6 and Springs for Samuel and #28.

You cant say that there is a 0% chance of it happening.
That's not a top 10 pick straight up though, which is what I implied.

Man right after I feel comfortable enough to spend good money on a Assante Samuel Jersey he pull's this crap.

Can u say if we trade assante we will end up with either one of the big 3.
1. Calvin
2. Laron
3. Patrick

Man oh man I'm on the phone with the Redskins right now think about this.

1st overall number 6 Rocky Mchintosh for our number 28 then we take a Second from them next year O god I'm getting Excited about the possibilites hopefully this play's out perfect.

This my friends could really cement the Dynasty imagine a draft haul of Landry
Willis, Woodley and Wilson or Gattis god I love the draft time and honestly I feel like BB besides Brady these players or just bargaining chips preach on about the topic.

a

and tell me why the Pats would be itching to shell out a 15 million dollar plus signing bonus for an unproven rookie?

I wouldn't be happy with a 2nd rounder. That pick is not a quantifiable commodity, Samuel is. It's like the Phin fans being happy about the 2nd for Welker. What if that player is a bust, still think you rooked us?

I have to assume that we ship him out of town. Not the biggest loss as he really only turned his game up this past season, but I'm not happy about it as he is hitting his prime, and he worked his ass off to be in this position.

Don't get me wrong, I trust BB and Pioli and I understand it's a business. I know it happens to everyone and I can see each sides logic as well. That said, why is it that this now feels like the 90's Bruins organization as far as the perennial holdout/angry player scenario each off-season. :mad:

Oh, the topic at hand....this is all calculated....the Pats tend to go slow with their own players' contract negotiations....he wants something done now... he knows and the Pats know that no team will give up 2 first-rounders for him.

Why would the Pats calculatedly do something that's bound to piss off a player they want to re-sign?

Re: Assante's asking to be traded?

our FO better do soemthing. they overpay a slot WR who is a "decent at best" returnman and give up a 2nd rounder in procoess but we cant get $6.3 million per season to Samuel(something like that like Bly).

im very dissapointed and SAmuel has every right to be. They franchise him and seem to be lowerign his value? im very angry

How do you know they "overpaid" Welker? How do you know they haven't offered AS 6.3 Mill and accolrding to him; that ain't enough?...You don't know. Stop freaking out already.

Why would the Pats calculatedly do something that's bound to piss off a player they want to re-sign?

Calculated on Asante's part...he just wants to get this taken care of now.

I wouldn't give up Asante for less than a high 1st rounder or if a low 1st rounder is involved, multiple picks. If Asante's asking price is in the Dre Bly range I think the Pats need to find a way to make it happen. What's the use of creative cap management if you can't find a way to KEEP a young cornerstone of your defensive backfield?

Asante's value is at its peak right now, he should be worth as much if not more value than Lance Briggs in a trade. That's how hard it is to find a premium corner this particular offseason. Look at what the 49ers had to throw at Clements to make him sign. Man they really screwed up the payscale with that contract.

I think the only reason the Pats are hesitating right now is that they have already thrown out so much bonus money this season (35M reportedly) and securing Samuel long term is going to increase that total significantly.

Last edited:

Hey, if they're willing to give up their #6 for Briggs and #32 then they should jump at Samuel.

I'm not at all one of those who are thrilled at
trading an established high-grade player for a top-o-the-draft crapshoot
... but, back when Asante and Lance first were tagged (within days of each other) ...
it occurred to me
and has often recurred
that Briggs and Samuel could be traded for each other.
Kind of, Bethel and Sullivan.

With Briggs asserting that he doesn't want to play inside in a 3-4,
i presume that such an idea is DOA.
But i do take them to be comparable values.

I don't think you'd get a #1 round pick for him this season.

Although I would much rather keep Asante as he totally deserved to be a Pro-Bowler last season, I would definitely consider trading him to Tampa for both #2 picks (35 and 64).

4 picks in the first 64 would be OK with with me.

Get whatever good CB is available at 24 plus Griffin, Woodley and Harris.:)

I think I just soiled myself.

Last edited:
Do we forget recent history? Dre Bly talked about wanting to go to the Redskins and now has his long-term deal with the Broncos. Asante Samuel is talking about a trade for the exact same purpose (w/ the Pats of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes