PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante's asking to be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Assante's asking to be traded?

The problem with winning a lot of games every year is that your players look good to other teams. You can pay some guys, but some teams are just willing to pay a lot of money to get what they think is "the final piece."

Nah, I'd rather have Thomas, Stallworth, Washington, Welker, Morris and Brady than Asante. Good as he is, he won't make the difference that all those guys will make.

he does make a different. We've made it far without Thomas-Stall-Washington-Welker-Morris. Samuel had a better season than all of them besides maybe Thomas.

My take is that this is just posturing on the part of his agent. The magic

date is July 15th. By this date Asante is locked into a one year contract.

I don't think he wants to play with a one year contract because his

interceptions are bound to go down. Even Ty Law rarely had back to back

seasons with a lot of interceptions. Don't panic until July 14th.

Hey if it works for Rosenhaus, why not?

Last edited:

This is not good. We finally get a playmaker in our secondary and now he wants to leave :eek:

good, can you say three first round draft picks??

I bet someone would be stupid enough.

Then NE could draft a LB, CB, and S in the first.

This is already all over the Jets board.They want to give up # 25 for him.

Seriously, I'd take a 2nd rounder for him, and feel richer for it. Asante is on the cusp of stardom, but if Ty Law is expendable, then for sure Asante is. I've got no qualms starting Hobbs and Gay, or shifting Wilson to CB.

100%

our FO better do soemthing. they overpay a slot WR who is a "decent at best" returnman and give up a 2nd rounder in procoess but we cant get $6.3 million per season to Samuel(something like that like Bly).

im very dissapointed and SAmuel has every right to be. They franchise him and seem to be lowerign his value? im very angry

I'm sure that you can find a new avatar

i think title is a little misleading

He said hes unhappy and hes saying if they cant come to a value agreement, then he doesnt want to be here.

He never asked to be traded yet but insisted he will demand a trade if we cannot get a fair contract for him

Whether they get it done or not, I like his phrasing:

He thinks he's worth one thing, and other teams think he's worth more [than New England.]

This gets right down to the heart of it. If in fact that's an unbridgeable gap, I am happy to see him go. There aren't many things to trust in the FA/salary cap era, but the Pats' valuation decisions are one thing we can have some faith in.

That said, yeah, seeming chasms are part and parcel of negotiations. But if not, hey, to quote Eminem "It ain't worth it/I can't think of a perfecter way to word it."

PFnV

Yea, and it's probably mangenius again!

This is already all over the Jets board.They want to give up # 25 for him.
I bet they do. I want something now (a #3 or the like) and their #1 next year. You lose the instant gratification but their #1 could be WAY better next year.

Before you wish too hard for Asante to leave town, ask yourself who will replace him?
Well, no one is wishing for him to leave, but most don't want to overpay to keep him. It isn't Asante specifically, but the method of not overpaying players has kept us competitive for years and most of us like to watch the Pats win.

He will be replaced by whoever would have replaced him had he gotten hurt during the season. Asante is a valuable player, but he isn't Seymour or Brady.

You have a long list of people who cannot replace Asante, but when Asante was drafted in the fourth round, you would have him on the list of people who could not replace our then current starting CB.

Who would have guessed that we could lose Ty Law to an injury and still win the Superbowl? Who replaced Ty Law that post season? We had a varieety of cornerbacks we won with: Gay, Poteat, Lowe, Moreland. Not ideal, but we won.

Players come and players go. Try to keep the best ones you can, but don't go ballistic when you can't keep certain ones.

We are not doomed if Asante leaves.

It isn't time to panic yet. And he still could sign, but if he wants a lot more than the patriots figure he is worth, oh well.

100%

I'm sure that you can find a new avatar

i can, i have a faulk one aswell and this has nothing to do with me liking a asante a lot

its more of: why cant we be fair to guy who played very well this season AND plays even better in the playoffs? Is he worth top 3 CB money? Not yet but hes not even asking for that. Hes asking for a premier #2 CB money right now (Dre Bly)

Seriously, I'd take a 2nd rounder for him, and feel richer for it.
Depends where he goes. If it's to some mediocre NFC team, OK. But if it's an AFC contender, we need more than that.

its more of: why cant we be fair to guy . . . Hes asking for a premier #2 CB money right now (Dre Bly)
That's what was said but you don't know that.

Depends where he goes. If it's to some mediocre NFC team, OK. But if it's an AFC contender, we need more than that.

i wouldnt be happy with a 2nd AT ALL wether its here or in NFC

Asante is worth more than Deion imo and i would want a first and then some.

Bleh. **** you, Asante. Trade him for another 1st rounder and I am pumped.

I find Asante more annoying than Branch in this instance. Branch never spoke to the media about his hold out. Never as far as I know.

Last edited:

he does make a different. We've made it far without Thomas-Stall-Washington-Welker-Morris. Samuel had a better season than all of them besides maybe Thomas.
You are dancing around what I said.

I didn;'t say Samuel never made a difference.

When someone said we should have signed Samuel instead of all those FAs, I said that Thomas-Welker-Stallworth-Washington-Brady-Morris makes a bigger difference to our team than does Samuel.

If you are saying keeping Samuel makes our team better than adding all those guys, then we simply disagree.

Hes asking for a premier #2 CB money right now (Dre Bly)
Come on, stop with this treating made-up stuff lilke it is fact. This is not a reliable report or documented in any way. It is the opinion of some talking head that a Dre Bly contract would be fair. We have no idea what Samuel wants or what the patriots are offering.

Last edited:

I was worried about this when I first heard about his "Get Paid" tattoo. I tried warning people about this over on ESPN. It seemed I was correct when his agent sad they wouldn't be happy with the franchise tag, but once NE placed it on him he seemed happy. I was surprised because I fully expected him to pull a Deion. Now that it seems he could be starting down that road, I'd trade his azz. I'd take Dallas' first round pick for him. Trust me they could use a good CB, and would be happy to trade.

This could actually play out perfectly. It's before the draft so there could be more teams interested.

I'll take my three first rounders

at least there will be something to read about... the board was getting slow.

i can, i have a faulk one aswell and this has nothing to do with me liking a asante a lot

its more of: why cant we be fair to guy who played very well this season AND plays even better in the playoffs? Is he worth top 3 CB money? Not yet but hes not even asking for that. Hes asking for a premier #2 CB money right now (Dre Bly)

just teasing

I liked Asante a LOT when he was first drafted, but a couple of inconsistent seasons made me skeptical. 2006 was a great thing, but I think the FO is like me--cautious about which #22 they get with a long term deal. I'd like to keep him around for the right price, but it doesn't seem like the FO wavers much from their initial offer. Either Asante sucks it up (and no--playing for $XXXX millions isn't a 'hometown discount' IMO), or the team deals him and we get equal value. The only reason the Branch deal took so long to close, was the rest of the NFL FO's had some massive brain fart that the NE FO would waver.

Exactly...

If that report about wanting Bly type money was true and NE won't pay him that I'll be pissed. They need to pay him.

I would much rather have Asante next year than another draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back